Re: 2.3 the end of March??
sandystorm

Streetdoc740 wrote:

you shouldnt need to be outside for GPS to connect unless you are in a basement or something. The GPS on this phone is absolute garbage.

I beg to differ there is nothing wrong with phone in general just maybe yours. And I do get mine to connect while in house with windows

0 Likes
DonM
Contributor - Level 2

sandystorm wrote:

I beg to differ there is nothing wrong with phone in general just maybe yours. And I do get mine to connect while in house with windows

I have to agree. I have no problem getting GPS to connect. It can even occasionally connect from my cubicle at work inside a multi-floor office building.

0 Likes
maryl
Contributor - Level 1

Outside or inside it doesn't matter. Before the update, the GPS worked inside and out. Now it neither works inside or out. The reason I haven't brought it in is because I don't use the GPS very often. That doesn't mean that I don't want it to work when I want to use it. I don't want to switch phones for just that reason. I do feel it's really messed up that with the latest updates, some phones GPS were greatly improved, and some went to sh**. And yes, I have rebooted the phone to no avail.

0 Likes
Streetdoc740
Enthusiast - Level 3

2nd handset with same problems. If you look on other forums its the same thing with LOTS of other people as well. GPS on this phone = FAIL.

course....from what i was told initially from VZW tech support this SHOULD be fixed with 2.2

.....still waiting on that since sept '10

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

It "should've" been fixed with DL09 and EA28.  If it's still messed up, you have faulty hardware.

0 Likes
gsp10
Yeah I have faulty hardware to them so what can I do about it?
0 Likes
gsp10
Yeah I have faulty hardware to then so what can I do about it?
0 Likes
Smokie11
Contributor - Level 1

I don't know if the gps problem is due to hardware, I don't believe it is because the problem would be more wide spread. My gps works fine, let me define what fine means to me.

In my home town I leave gps off until needed, it locks within 1 minute always and less than 30 seconds about half the time. Once locked it stays locked the duration of the trip. Very accurate, has never taken me to wrong location yet.

I just returned from a business trip in Nashville, TN. I do not know the town so this was for me the ultimate test. I arrived to rain and full cloud cover and it took 1:45 seconds to lock from inside cab, after that it was perfect to hotel. From hotel to where I conducted my business it was taking a full minute to lock. Evenings going out to eat it started to lock under a minute, again it found every restaurant I wanted with no problem.

I have my settings on Google location services and GPS standalone on, I do not use Verizon location services. I also have from the the market GPS Test app. and if I feel it is taking longer to lock than it should I turn on this app. and it locks on faster than the Navigation software does, don't know why, just that it does. I hope you find some of this info helpful.:smileyhappy:

0 Likes
maryl
Contributor - Level 1

I just installed and used the GPS test app and left it on for an hour. My Fascinate saw 2 satellites and used 0. Thanks for the tips, but it didn't work for me.

0 Likes
Smokie11
Contributor - Level 1

Sorry, one possible solution before replacing phone with new one, turn off phone and remove battery for about 10 minutes, reinstall battery turn back on, if that fails I think you need new phone.

0 Likes