4G LTE or Galaxy Nexus?
ShawnD724

I have been having data connectivity issues with my Galaxy Nexus. I am on my fifth replacement and still having the same issues. My battery and sim card have also been replaced one time. I have wasted numerous hours on the phone with Verizon technical support over the last 5 months but I am still awaiting a resolution. The problem seems to be narrowed down to when the phone goes from 4G to 3G (and vice versa). During this transition, the data connection is lost for approximately 20 minutes. Verizon has offered a couple of solutions: pull the battery each time this happens or put the phone in/out of airplane mode. Considering this happens multiple times per day, this is not an acceptable resolution. Even if it only happened one time per week, that would not be an acceptable resolution. Since I live in an area that is borderline 4G/3G, Verizon is evaluating my area to see if I am considered to be in a marginal service area. If I am, I have been told by Verizon customer support, I will be allowed out of my contract and not pay an ETF - which has 9 months remaining ($240 ETF).

This problem existed for at least the last 5 months and now I am on version 4.1.1 and still having the problem. My last 3 SPEEDTEST.NET results were:

(sitting in the same spot)

0.59 Mbps download and 1.57 Mbps upload (7:39PM)

2.56 Mbps download and 0.60 Mbps upload (7:55PM)

0.47 Mbps download and 0.84 Mbps upload (8:01PM)

Verizon has told me nobody else in my area is experiencing the same issue with their phone or service although this issue seems to be widespread. One of the Verizon technical support reps told me they are aware of an issue with 4G to 3G losing the data connection on several of their phones.

I never had any issues in the same area with the original Motorola Droid on 3G. My 4G experience has been much less than advertised when it works. The Nexus experience on Verizon has been much less than mediocre. Verizon has always had the best coverage in my home area of western Pennsylvania but the service and support I have been receiving rivals Sprint and AT&T. Verizon asked if I would consider going back to a pure 3G phone but their site doesn't indicate there are too many options and none that I'm aware of that have the latest version of Android.

The decreased quality of service and varying explanations from each Verizon support representative leads me to believe the 4G LTE network is flawed and Verizon is blaming the equipment. I would be more than happy to know if I am the only one who has this problem and if I am the only one who continues to get replacement equipment with the same exact problems?

If I have to suffer through another 9 months of this, I can guarantee I will not not sign another contract with Verizon.

0 Likes
Re: 4G LTE or Galaxy Nexus?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does it help at all to change the network type to 3G only?

I have experienced that hand-off issues in a fringe area as well with both my Nexus and Tbolt.  For me it does change daily on how stubborn the network connection is.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: 4G LTE or Galaxy Nexus?
ShawnD724

In the earlier days of having the phone when I was only trying to preserve battery life, I did try switching from LTE/CDMA to CDMA only. Unfortunately my experience with this method required a reboot after changing this setting for me to get any type of signal at all. I suppose it's worth a try again but that's really letting Verizon off the hook. Plus if that is the solution and I find it acceptable, why not get out of my contract, pick up an unlocked Nexus 4 with no LTE (and receive the expected software updates for the Nexus line from Google) and go with StraightTalk/AT&T for an unlimited everything $45 month plan (vs. $90+ month for 450 minutes/500 text/unlimited data)?

0 Likes