4G connection problems (hardware issue?)
mr_gadget

I am very new to my Nexus (about a week), but not new to Androids (owned around 6 of them).

Fresh out of the box at 4.0.2, I could hardly keep phone calls and my wireless data was almost non-existent.  <Content deleted per the TOS>  My wife's RAZR is just awesome everywhere, so it isn't a bad signal area.  This bad 4G, of course, causes my battery to drain within hours.  So, I am forced to run with 3G-only, which works great, but, then I am missing the entire 4G experience.

<Content deleted per the TOS>, and my wife's phone is doing great, I am wondering if this is a hardware issue?

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Re: 4G connection problems (hardware issue?)
GaryWHolland
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm going to go out on a limb here but I'd say the phone is the problem. I had a Thunderbolt prior to upgrading to the GNex and it was a solid performer when it came to 4g. My GNex is suffering from the same issues that yours is, random reboots, inability to hold the 4g signal, poor battery life. I'm checking my battery usage this evening and other than a couple of text messages and about 2 or 3 minutes on FaceBook I'm at 23% in 3h 42m 19s. I mean that is just plain old BS if you ask me. I've only hinted at Verizon about these problems in a couple of calls and so far I've been told to reboot the phone, pull the battery and sim card and then reboot and finally to get a replacement sim card. I'm not sure how long to put up with this nonsense. Rumors abound on the internet that Google will be updating the firmware on these phones to 4.04 or 4.05 depending on who you believe and that this will take care of all of these issues. I'm not going to hold my breath!

0 Likes
peabodyman

It is a hardware problem.  Get a replacement.

0 Likes
Zio

I am having similar issues.  I just upgraded to the GNexus this afternoon (from a Droid X) and had to go back into the store twice within minutes after i got it.  First i could not make any call. Then i could not log on to the internet...  They initially told me it was because they just activated my new phone, and asked me to give it a couple of hours.  It's been several hours now and i am still having problems.  The connection seems to be pretty unstable.  Sometimes i can make or receive calls and then within a minute i would lose that ability again.  This is very frustrating and i don't know what to do at this point.  I removed the battery, pulled the SIM card out and replaced it again (as i saw mentioned on other posts), but still experiencing the same issue.  I would hate to return the phone as i was very excited about it!  Is it a hardware, software, or carrier issue?  I have 2 weeks to figure out what i want to do about it...  Any advice is much appreciated.

0 Likes
kabull
Contributor - Level 1

Return the phone if you are able.  I have had this phone since December and have the same issues.  The call quality is horrible.  Boots you off the internet often and 4g....forget it.  I live a quarter mile from the Verizon tower and it is plain view of my home and I rarely ever get 4g.  If I do it doesn't last.  My signal strength in my home measures around -110 dbm which is totally unacceptable.  Calls are either dropped or the sound quality is so poor that staying on the line is like listening to nails on a chalkboard.  Usually it ends up that the other person can't hear me.  I use my phone for business and I had to get my home phone service reinstalled to I could conduct business over the phone.  I have a friend with the same phone who lives 40 miles from me who has the exact same issues.  Tried everything Verizon has recommended.  Nothing works.  Been on the phone with customer service/ tech support more times than I can count.  Everyone tells you something different.  Samsung told me that it must be a problem with the phone itself....hardware.  Verizon says don't send it back to them....send it to us and get a refurbished phone.....I was told way back in early Feb. that a fix was coming in early March.....that didn't happen.  Then I was told it was coming in April.....hasn't happened.......So save yourself a lot of headaches and get a different model.  As soon as my contract is up we are taking our seven lines and moving on to a different carrier. 

0 Likes
galiett214

I am having the same issues with my phone.  Verizon has been telling me for months that a software update is coming so the phone can work properly on a 4G network area but I am still waiting.  My phone is currently on a 3G network but that's not why I purchased this phone.  I hope Verizon can really compensate for this phone.

0 Likes
Shaun330

I am having the same problems. I took my 1st phone back and got a new one and it's still doing the same thing. I have 3 days left before I can get a refund, so I was gonna switch to the Razr since it's $99.  I've seen people say they're having the same problem with The Razr and The Rezound so it is a VERIZON problem more than anything imo. I may just leave Verizon and go to Sprint. Bill $100 but I keep losing service? F that

0 Likes
mr_gadget

In my experience, the RAZR is far better than the Galaxy for holding your

signal.

0 Likes
Poozler
Enthusiast - Level 2

well, the GNexus is fast. at least thats true.  however, the Wifi / 4G connection conflicts are severe. LOTS of apps will not work. anything that uses Wifi networks for anything other than a data pipe (ie; Airdroid, Play Store DLs etc) will not connect.  pretty much the best thing to do is to disable 4g under Wireless Networks by choosing CDMA rather than CDMA / LTE.  this will kill off 4G.  then turn off WiFi.   this won't fix the problems completely but it won't hurt.  (and at least will save your battery and prevent the constant network reconnect as the phone switches from 3G to 4G and back when the signal comes and goes, which is mostly all the time) 

if there was any justice in the world Verizon would get sued for this particularly horrible implementation of their fast but extremely not ready for prime time 4G network.  of course, you could interpret this as their attempt to prevent users from using wifi services which increases Verizon's profit stream but of course we all know the would never do that.

your best move is to dump your 4G phone until they figure this out, crappy and overcrowded though the Verizon 3G network has become.  

0 Likes
Shaun330

Interesting, do you think The Razr is just as good as a phone? Razr is rumored to get Ics May 21st

0 Likes