I just joined the Smartphone world last weekend when my wife and I both got Samsung Fascinates. I've been having a few issues, I don't think she has. Just curious if it's a buggy phone or just what I should expect from the Android/Fascinate platform:
1) Last week my 3G connection stopped working (in the middle of Birmingham, AL) and my clock up top froze at a certain time. If I locked the phone and hit the unlock button the correct time showed on the bottom clock. A restart fixed this.
2) All too often my phone will freeze for several seconds (anywhere from 5-20+ seconds) while loading an app or clicking in a typing window on a website.
3) Browser has closed itself several times when I try going to various sites.
4) Sometimes it will not connect to WiFi (even when WiFi is turned on and strong signal is present).
There's another one or two I can't think of off the top of my head as well.
I'm running the stock TouchWiz and have the Shake Them All! live wallpaper running behind it, I suppose the slowdowns could be attributed to that but I'd not think that the connection issues would be.
The Android OS is said to smartly manage running applications and manage memory on its own. That’s why there is no easy way to close an app on the Samsung Fascinate. Sometimes you have to close a malfunctioning app though. You can either download and useAdvanced Task Killer to kill apps, or perform these steps.
1. From the Home screen, choose Applications.
2. Tap Applications.
3. Tap Running services.
4. Select the service you wish to close.
5. Tap Stop.
For the love of God, DON'T install a task killer. You DON'T need it. IF you need to close an app, just long press on the home button, choose Task Manager and hit the End button next to the app. If it's not listed there, it probably shouldn't be closed. What widgets do you have on your homescreen and how many apps do you have? May want to do a factory reset and install the apps slowly to see if it might be an app conflict. For the browser, I'd suggest using Dolphin Browser HD.
I know how to stop running apps and I end them as soon as I'm done with them. It's not an issue of having too much stuff running and bogging down my memory, it's something else entirely.