Ally Gets Froyo before Fascinate!
Suburban78
Contributor - Level 1
Wifes Ally was updated to 2.2 last week. Wow, what a difference it made in that phone. With 2.1 it was barely functional but now it is a pleasure to use. Can't wait to see how it changes the fascinate when it releases, if it ever does! Still don't understand why Verizon can't or won't give us a date for release. Still waiting to use my car dock and desk dock for something other than a $100 charger.
0 Likes
Re: Ally Gets Froyo before Fascinate!
bigfrank69
Contributor - Level 1

So what is the big difference please tell us. It must be fantastic because my Fascinate seems to work pretty good other than the battery draining quickly. Please do tell us about it

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Suburban78 wrote:
Wifes Ally was updated to 2.2 last week. Wow, what a difference it made in that phone. With 2.1 it was barely functional but now it is a pleasure to use. Can't wait to see how it changes the fascinate when it releases, if it ever does! Still don't understand why Verizon can't or won't give us a date for release. Still waiting to use my car dock and desk dock for something other than a $100 charger.

The LG Ally was released on May 13, 2010.  The Froyo update starting pushing out to customers about a week ago.  That is 8 months from release to getting the system update to Android 2.2 (Froyo).

The Samsung Fascinate was released on Sept 9, 2010.  That about 4 1/2 months ago.  If you don't the Froyo update on the Fascinate by end of May 2011, ask why you don't have Froyo at that time.

>>sigh<<

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bass9510

I wish that I could sure the web with ease but i have 2.1 insted.

0 Likes
bigfrank69
Contributor - Level 1

bass9510 I surf the web just fine and love it.  great phone and C-Net referred to it as sexy!

0 Likes
Suburban78
Contributor - Level 1
The Overall feel of 2.2 is not drastically different but performance is outstanding. The Ally is far from performance hardware and short on memory and slow processor, even with nothing installed on the phone it was sluggish and frustrating to use. The menus are now snappy, apps load much faster and being able to install to the sd card leaves more system memory open. There are a few things that don't make sense such as you can't mute the phone, only ringer or vibrate. The email notification is strange and a little annoying but the benefits fast out weigh the cons.
0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

besides the launch date difference, this phone is not an ally, it's not a droid x, it's not any of the phones that currently have 2.2. it's even a different phone from EVERY other galaxy S phone. because of this, you can't argue X phone has froyo, so why doesn't mine with any kind of legitimate argument.

0 Likes
bass9510

Sorry, I meant to say surf the web.  My wife has 2.2 on her X.  We compared our phones at supper when we were waiting for our meal and I was shocked what a difference it is between 2.2 and 2.1.  2.2 is so much more user friendly and the web sites work like they should.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Just an FYI, a build of Froyo for the Fascinate has leaked out... so, it IS being worked on.

(edit: I forgot my link:  http://phandroid.com/2011/01/25/froyo-for-samsung-fascinate-reportedly-leaked-being-cooked-up-as-a-r... )

0 Likes
papa_leo
Contributor - Level 2

@bigfrank69,

Your gf/bf, wife/husband, or lover (whatever you choose) should be sexy not a phone. Phone should be functional.

I also compared my brother-in-law Incredible with Froyo vs. my Fascinate and Quadrant test on Incredible finishes a good 1.5 minute sooner than on Fascinate and that application tests everything from CPU, Memory, I/O, 2D, to 3D graphics. Incredible with Froyo rated at 1,100 and Fascinate only at 850 That is 250 point difference. Just to give you an idea what that point difference means, original Droid (circa December 2009) with Eclair (2.0) was rated at 610 which is 240 points difference.

So now you can imagine what Froyo will offer to Fascinate (if we will ever see it) in regards to performances alone and forget about flash.

0 Likes