Am I out $300 ?
Huggyjd28
Enthusiast - Level 3

Had an s7edge on the payment plan. When the note 7 came out , I had to pay $300 in order to get the note 7. So I pay $300 they send me the note 7 and I send them back the s7edge. All good. Now Verizon wants me to send the note 7 back. They will send me another new s7edge and i start all over. Pay the taxes, $20 fee and i get my new phone. So what happens to my $300 ???

0 Likes
Re: Am I out $300 ?
rcschnoor
Legend

Simply ANOTHER example of why early upgrades are not a good idea.

The BEST way to get an early upgrade is to pay FULL PRICE for a device and then sell it yourself when you want to upgrade(or keep it as a backup). You will ALWAYS end up better off than if you pay 50% of the device cost to Verizon simply to BORROW a device for a year or less. That ALWAYS works out in Verizon's favor, NEVER in favor of the customer.

Huggyjd28
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon keeps stating. Turn in your note 7 for a full refund. It should be just that. I paid $300 to get the note 7. Now I have to give it back but Verizon gets to keep my $300 . Even though im going right back to the same phone i had before the note 7. So basically, I just rented a defective note 7 from verizon for a little over a month for $300. Total crap !!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Huggyjd28 wrote:

Verizon keeps stating. Turn in your note 7 for a full refund. It should be just that. I paid $300 to get the note 7. Now I have to give it back but Verizon gets to keep my $300 . 

No, you paid $300 to get out of your obligation to completely pay off you previous phone. That you chose to THEN purchase a Note 7 is irrelevant. Whether or not you would have purchased that Note 7, you STILL would have had to pay that $300 on your old phone.

People keep talking about their ANNUAL upgrade. THAT is a misunderstanding by the general public. You are agreeing to purchase a device at the FULL RETAIL COST. You THEN have the OPTION, with a price, to back out of paying the remaining balance of your device in order to upgrade early. That is a PREMIUM PRICE to BORROW a phone for a year. If ANYTHING goes wrong, Verizon ALWAYS makes out. If ANYTHING goes wrong, the customer NEVER makes out. That is why these "annual upgrade programs" are such a bad idea for the consumer. Now you are complaining that the annual upgrade program is working EXACTLY how it was designed. If you are unhappy, don't fall for it again because the EXACT SAME THING will happen if there is ever a problem. Pay full retail for a device. You can STILL do so on payments. Simply pay off the device when you want to upgrade and you will most certainly recoup MORE than that amount when you sell the device yourself. You may say that is more work for you, but THAT is why you are paying Verizon the PREMIUM you NOW do not seem to want to pay. If you DON'T want to pay that PREMIUM, you CAN'T use their method of the annual upgrade. They ARE going to charge you the PREMIUM which you seem so unhappy with now.

0 Likes
Huggyjd28
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know how the deal works. And im fine paying off half the value of a phone to get an upgraded new phone. Thats how it works. But the problem lies to where i have to return the phone i paid the $300 fee to get. I made at least 6 payments on the s7edge while i had it. Plus the $300. So now i get the s7edge back. Start all over makings payments as as a new phone. I loose the money for the 6 payments i made plus the $300. All to get the  the same phone i started with ? How in the world do you think thats fair? The way this should work is, i get the s7edge back and continue to make the payments on it like all this never happened. I get my $300 back. Thats a refund !!!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Huggyjd28 wrote:

I know how the deal works.

Possibly, but it appears you want it to work differently. You seem to want it to work such that you pay off half the device and then Verizon has to hold THAT device until you are done paying off your NEW device in case something happens and you have to go back to your original device. THAT is not how it works, even if it would be beneficial to you. For it to work THAT way, you would have needed to pay off the FULL amount of the device. Why should Verizon simply hold on to your old device after paying off half of the value. You want to have your old device held in reserve so that you can go back to it in case something happens? Pay off the FULL amount and hold it in reserve for yourself. YOU chose to pay a premium to be in a situation where you can upgrade after paying off only HALF of the device. You then return that device for Verizon to do with it what they choose and you go on with your new device. THAT is the full responsibility Verizon has for that old device. They don't hold it in case you need to go back to it. You want THAT option, do what the rest of us do and pay the FULL amount and hold it in reserve for yourself. Why should you only have to pay 50% to have a phone held in reserve? YOU chose to pay a premium to upgrade every year. You don't THEN get to say "I want my old device back". You would have had to pay FULL retail in order to have THAT option.

Huggyjd28 wrote:

So now i get the s7edge back. Start all over makings payments as as a new phone. I loose the money for the 6 payments i made plus the $300. All to get the the same phone i started with ?

No, you don't get the same phone back you started with. You get a NEW phone, NOT your 6 month old phone. You want the SAME phone you started with, you should have paid it off and kept it.

Huggyjd28 wrote:

How in the world do you think thats fair?

Because you are paying that premium in order to upgrade every year. You don't like it, don't enter into an annual upgrade program with Verizon. Use your OWN annual upgrade program where you pay the FULL amount for your phone, keep it in case something happens and THEN you would not be in the position you are in now. Of course, that would cost you a bit more than only paying 50% of the device(actually double). You want the same benefits of someone who paid DOUBLE for your old phone than you did. "How in the world do you think that is fair" to those people? THAT is the premium YOU chose to pay for an annual upgrade. THAT is the cost you have to live with. People who choose to pay full retail and keep their phone have chosen their premium cost and you have chosen your premium cost.. This is no different than someone losing their phone or having it stolen and being in the same position you are in now except YOU actually get a refund on all payments you have made towards the Note 7.

0 Likes
Huggyjd28
Enthusiast - Level 3

I understand what your saying. I agree with it. I like my note 7. I want my note 7. Verizon wants it back. I not returning it because i dont like it. Im not returning it because its broken. Im returning it because verizon demands i do. Im not even asking for a new s7edge. Ill take a refurb. I dont have that choice. As the customer should not be taking the hit on this.

0 Likes
Huggyjd28
Enthusiast - Level 3

I relate it to a car. You buy  new car. Its a lemon. You have lemon laws to protect you. Or a vehicle recall. You take it in and they fix the recall free of charge. The Galaxy note 7 is a lemon. They want me to return my lemon. I say fine. Give me my old car back( Phone) and my $300 and ill be on my way. Theres no harm to anybody. Verizon gets their note 7 back. Samsung gives verizon their money back. I get my old phone back ( or one like it) i get my $300 back and i keep paying my bill. But as of now the only loosers in the deal are the folks that bought the note 7.

0 Likes
MRJones33
Enthusiast - Level 3

Huggyjd28 - I am in the exact same boat. My S7 Edge was purchased in June and in August I traded it in and paid $390 to walk out of the store with a Note7. Now they want the Note7 back, but won't refund the $390 that I paid to get it. Why will Verizon not tell us what we are getting as a refund when we return the Note7? I think it makes zero sense to return the Note7 until someone at Verizon can definitely tell me what my refund amount will be... if it's $0 and I'm free of my Note7 installment agreement, that's not acceptable.

0 Likes
Huggyjd28
Enthusiast - Level 3

YesMrJones33. This pretty much sucks. We got a lemon and we have to take the loss on that lemon. I always used that edge program because i get a new phone about every year or so. I got 3-4 new phones that way. If one breaks, i use the insurance and get it repaired. The note 7 was a lemon right out of the box. Customers should not be held to their contract agreement with this phone. There should be an exception made.

0 Likes