Android 2.2 Update Explained?
St3v3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is there a document that explains all of the Verizon Fascinate 2.2 Update features? The Verizon document is worthless.

http://support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/samsung_fascinate.pdf

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Android 2.2 Update Explained?
ladybell
Enthusiast - Level 3

You're not slow.  It's just not lined out in that link clearly.  You can search other forums for more details but in short, here are some highlights to what the 2.2 upgrade allows the phone to do, plus a few changes:

1. ability to view website material that requires flash
  2. Air plane mode removed from notification bar and relocated to Wireless & network section under settings
  3. Mobile data and auto rotation feature now placed in notification bar
  4. ability to utilize applications that require 2.2 to function properly from the market
  5. Google search app was added, bing is still the default search
  6. Will now dock sync up properly with car docks and cradles
  7. Media hub app was added, along with Madden NFL 11
  8. Ability to silence phone by using volume down button no longer fully goes to silent.  Must access through menu>settings>sound settings
  9. under display settings you have the options of changing the fonts used on the device and you can download other fonts to use also
  10. The ability to add a PIN, pattern or password to lock the screen is not available through Location and security settings
  11. The ability to select device administrators under the location and security settings
  12.  Not sure if it was there before but it seemed new to me was the ability to back up the data option under privacy settings
  13.  The ability to save data, pictures, media and such to the sd card vs. to the phone.  This is somewhat a a very nice feature because for instance, if you had to do a factory reset of your device for any reason, and you were able to store certain applications, pictures and other things to the SD card, then you have a better chance of those items not being deleted from the device during a hard reset ( hard reset takes the phone back to stock).  If you have paid apps that may no longer be available that you use frequently, then this feature could make you happy.  If also keeps your phone storage space more free to run the bloatware and operating system in theory without bogging it down.
  14.  Under accessibility settings there is an option to use the power button to end a call
  15.  menu>settings>setup wizard was added and it allows you a one touch sort of operation to back up your contact information.
  16.  There were some scene selections added and tweaks to the camera features

There are probably many more little tweaks that can now be performed that were not allowed in the previous OS.  You'll need to visit other android forums on this particular device and software update to get more details.  Some of the bloatware apps may allow different operations than before and so on.  So far after the update the biggest issues are battery drain, camera operations not working properly, deletion of pictures from the gallery not performing properly, phone lagging from screen to screen or during browser sessions.  On my device the actual Frames Per Second on videos or games has improved in speed and clarity.   These are simply a few points I can add to your original question.  Best thing to do is just start running through each function and feature and start seeing what is useful to you and what is not.  Be aware of the battery drain!  Either contact VZW and get assistance from them on the phone if it is still under warranty, buy a secondary battery or extended life battery (FYI the extended life battery is flipping huge and has a whole different battery cover backing for the phone but has long battery life).  good luck playing around with it.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

have you looked at the entire support page?

http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/index.html?p=5528&m=

what can you not understand?

0 Likes
St3v3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I guess I'm slow, but I still don't see anything that explains the 2.2 updates.

I see Simulator, Email Setup, Device Manual and Software Update which is the link I left in my post that moves to a second page that lists Benefits of Software Upgrade which again tells very little about the update other than

Enhancements:

+ Improvements to the delivery of Over The Air (OTA) Software Updates.

+ Camera accurately reports if its software is up-to-date.

+ Geo-tagging of pictures, a capability which is not supported by this

device, is no longer incorrectly attempted.

SO...again I must be slow. What am I missing. Where is the explanation about what's new and how to use it?

I don't need handholding, but it would be nice to know what apps were added. what features changed and anything else that would be important to know.

0 Likes
ladybell
Enthusiast - Level 3

You're not slow.  It's just not lined out in that link clearly.  You can search other forums for more details but in short, here are some highlights to what the 2.2 upgrade allows the phone to do, plus a few changes:

1. ability to view website material that requires flash
  2. Air plane mode removed from notification bar and relocated to Wireless & network section under settings
  3. Mobile data and auto rotation feature now placed in notification bar
  4. ability to utilize applications that require 2.2 to function properly from the market
  5. Google search app was added, bing is still the default search
  6. Will now dock sync up properly with car docks and cradles
  7. Media hub app was added, along with Madden NFL 11
  8. Ability to silence phone by using volume down button no longer fully goes to silent.  Must access through menu>settings>sound settings
  9. under display settings you have the options of changing the fonts used on the device and you can download other fonts to use also
  10. The ability to add a PIN, pattern or password to lock the screen is not available through Location and security settings
  11. The ability to select device administrators under the location and security settings
  12.  Not sure if it was there before but it seemed new to me was the ability to back up the data option under privacy settings
  13.  The ability to save data, pictures, media and such to the sd card vs. to the phone.  This is somewhat a a very nice feature because for instance, if you had to do a factory reset of your device for any reason, and you were able to store certain applications, pictures and other things to the SD card, then you have a better chance of those items not being deleted from the device during a hard reset ( hard reset takes the phone back to stock).  If you have paid apps that may no longer be available that you use frequently, then this feature could make you happy.  If also keeps your phone storage space more free to run the bloatware and operating system in theory without bogging it down.
  14.  Under accessibility settings there is an option to use the power button to end a call
  15.  menu>settings>setup wizard was added and it allows you a one touch sort of operation to back up your contact information.
  16.  There were some scene selections added and tweaks to the camera features

There are probably many more little tweaks that can now be performed that were not allowed in the previous OS.  You'll need to visit other android forums on this particular device and software update to get more details.  Some of the bloatware apps may allow different operations than before and so on.  So far after the update the biggest issues are battery drain, camera operations not working properly, deletion of pictures from the gallery not performing properly, phone lagging from screen to screen or during browser sessions.  On my device the actual Frames Per Second on videos or games has improved in speed and clarity.   These are simply a few points I can add to your original question.  Best thing to do is just start running through each function and feature and start seeing what is useful to you and what is not.  Be aware of the battery drain!  Either contact VZW and get assistance from them on the phone if it is still under warranty, buy a secondary battery or extended life battery (FYI the extended life battery is flipping huge and has a whole different battery cover backing for the phone but has long battery life).  good luck playing around with it.  

0 Likes
Mastersifu

Thanks, Ladybell that was very Helpful. There were a few things I noticed.

0 Likes