Android 4.2.2
cmsfl70
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well Verizon your customers who purchased the first (and probably last) Nexus device offered to Verizon are now officially 4 updates behind. I know I won't get an answer but WHAT IS THE DEAL???? Why do we get no love from Verizon? Interesting that Apple experiences no delay in pushing out their updates. It is an embarrassment to the Nexus name that we are 4 updates behind. Last September when we received Jelly Bean that was a shock but still the last of the Galaxy Nexus to receive that update.

Are we to assume that since the Verizon GNex is EOL we will receive no more updates??

I dont want to hear about time it takes to verify and test releases. Every other carrier gets the updates out in a timely fashion.

0 Likes
Re: Android 4.2.2
DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

<Inappropriate comment removed per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.>

Here is a FACT.  I (and others) spend a lot of money for services promised by Verizon's own marketing of the nexus.  Prompt access to updates is the nexus deal.  You are the ones that promised this and YOU are the ones denying us said service.  My only recourse is to complain here. 

I want my update.

Tidbits
Legend

siPlease show where they advertised such? From what I have seen Google was the one stating the fact and fandroid sites as well. I actually said otherwise before the device was ever released. I told people Google will not treat the CDMA version the same regardless if they wanted to. The reason is the radios. CDMA and LTE are not open source while GSM is. That alone makes a vast difference. CDMA requires 3 signatures to even get the radio to work and they can't be test keys. There is a "hack" to get it to work but a "hack" won't pass with the FCC and Qualcomm wouldn't be happy about it. Now with the LTE radio there a multitude of hands involved and Google realized it was too complicated to deal with(see Nexus 4).

0 Likes
shirke
Enthusiast - Level 3
zombielove69
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon is Now 4 Updates behind with Google releasing 4.2.2 for the Galaxy Nexus Nexus Link:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/02/12/how-many-updates-behind-is-the-verizon-galaxy-nexus-four/

And Droid-Life.com is Legit and probably the best one for Android News as well as AndroidCentral.com

Now this is pathetic and probably means Vzw has Given up all together on the Gnex, or is going to do nothing until KeyLime comes out at Google I/O in may when upgraded nexus tablets also come out with the New Pure Android Motorola X phone. I've seen vzw update many phones after eol, mostly security a few os, but when it's 4 updates behind people lose confidence, especially for a "nexus" product.

I hope the Dish/Google network will be up and operational when my contract is up next Jan so I can leave this crap. All verizon has is great coverage but slow lte speeds. I only get 11 down and maybe 5 up on a good day, my wifi is 10/2.Even is Chicago where I visit is worse than St.Louis and spotty at best. No updates, slow lte, price gouging tiers, lack of any info to customers and customer service. I've had it and will be taking my Family with me, 6 lines.

Tidbits
Legend

I get 45 down 15 up here in Hawaii.  No carrier can compare to that here.

Like I said before even those fandroid news sites also explained some complications of CDMA, and LTE and why they are different than GSM.  If you listen to DroidLife or Android Central posted the process on the findings of Sony, and Googles Xperia open source project.  It showed there was a lot more involved than the carrier, and most of the delays comes from.....  Wait for it...  Proprietary code from PARTS MANUFACTURERS followed by the FCC approval process then carrier approval process.  What does that tell you?  Also Google doesn't work on the update all for one device and then release them all at once.  Notice the Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus CDMA/LTE, and certain GSM variants isn't getting 4.2.2, but the Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Galaxy Nexus(GSM, not all variants)?  One thing Apple does that Google doesn't do... Wait until all teams are finished then release them all at once.  Google will release them as they finish.  The 4.2.2 for the Nexus 4 has very little commits as of yet.

Motorola X phone is large rumor, and if you think the update process is going to be bells and whistles and have CDMA or LTE you will be mistaken.  There's more to it involved than just Verizon.

I have already called long BEFORE the Nexus LTE was released(about 1-2 weeks before it was released).  I questioned why Google would say it's no different.  Since I know the difference in coding and approval processes(GSM compared to LTE) than I KNEW they wouldn't be treated the same.  It's impossible since they go through different ways of doing things.

The Nexus 4 has no LTE.  If it was because of Verizon that is laughable.  Other carriers have LTE, or will get LTE.  Why not have it on the Nexus 4 to accommodate it.  Verizon holds no patents to LTE so they don't have say right?

I love how people drink the Kool-Aid and don't bother reading between the lines.  I don't care if you blame Verizon or not, but from what I have learned the past 15 years is that people will always blame the closest people they can contract.  Easier to get a hold of a carrier than it is the manufacturers.

zombielove69
Contributor - Level 1

Yeah you knew it but Verizon didn't advertise it like that or express your opinion to the customers who were new to their carrier, or had experience with vzw,  or getting the phone. Nobody came to this community for information about new phones, they took what the representatives told them to be the truth and what the past nexus phones were like and what they were getting service wise with the constant updates. But now we all know better. And Google supports the vzw Nexus and has the past updates but vzw won't push them because verizon only believes in the bare minimum. For example the freaking thunderbolt just got ics.

And the speculation is that the Motorola X phone will be on all 4 carriers but sold through the Play store for a low price and it is going to have Gamer changing innovation that neither apple or Samsung have.Sounds to be an unlocked phone that will work on Verizon's Network. And Block C rules state that customers can bring their phones to the carrier as long as it will work on their network which should be interesting.

Delaying updates is delaying innovation, and customer satisfaction.

cmsfl70
Enthusiast - Level 2

Comes down to this(from Wikipedia)

Google Nexus is a line of mobile devices using the Android operating system produced by Google in conjunction with an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) partner. Devices in the Nexus series[1] do not have manufacturer or wireless carrier modifications to Android (such as custom graphical user interfaces), and have an unlockable bootloader[2] to allow further development and end-user modification.[3] Nexus devices are the first Android devices to receive updates to the operating system.[4][5][6] The Galaxy Nexus is one of the few smartphones recommended by the Android Open Source Project for Android software development.[7] As of November 2012, the latest devices in the series are the Nexus 4 phone by Google and LG, and the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 tablet computers by Google with Asus and Samsung respectively.

If Verizon and Google knew of the issues with CDMA/LTE drivers then this phone should never have flown the Nexus name. We purchased the phone because it was part of the Nexus line. Apparently it is just the "red headed stepchild"

Tidbits
Legend

Wikipedia is USER edited. This is why most professors do not allow students to site wikipedia as their only source.

0 Likes
cmsfl70
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think you will find the majority of Verizon Gnex owners will agree with my point. Verizon has not delivered on what this phone was to represent with the Nexus name. I fully understand it is more difficult on the CDMA side, but it does not excuse the time it takes us to get an update if we get an update. I don't know why you feel the need to defend Verizon's lack of action over this issue.