Re: Android 4.2.2
cmsfl70
Enthusiast - Level 2

<Post deleted for discussion of moderator activities per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

cmsfl70 wrote:

The factory images for the Android 4.2.2 (JDQ39) update that was released this week to a number of Nexus devices have now been posted. We’re seeing images for the Nexus 4, Nexus 10, Nexus 7 (HSPA+ too), and Galaxy Nexus (both “takju” and “yakju”).

From Droid Life

None of them for Sprint, and Verizon.  All of them are HSPA+ and GSM.  My point still stands.  There is a difference which I mentioned before...  REREAD them.  Different RILs, radio, and CDMA, and LTE are proprietary not open source. 

0 Likes
rotocat
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yet Sprint still updates before Verizon even though they both have the secret proprietary CDMA and LTE.  I am not sure that you point was ever "standing".

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Again different teams working on it from Google. Different approval processes from the FCC and Verizon. Sony went on record stating the fact and your Droidlife printed an article about it. Due to proprietary things there are more things involved. I even stated the fact weeks before the Verizon version came out, and said I find it hard to believe that Google said it would be treated like any other Nexus when they had trouble with the Nexus S 4G and Motorola Xoom.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Doesn't include what I have done with the USM and why we switched to GSM from CDMA for certain things I am not privy to discuss.

0 Likes
cmsfl70
Enthusiast - Level 2

You can get as specific/technical as you like as to the barriers that may or may not delay updates to this phone or any Verizon phone. The whole point of this thread as far as I am concerned is this which is a quote from Kellen over at Droid-Life.

"I don’t think I need to mention it for the 100th time, but will anyway – Verizon’s system for updating phones is the worst in the business. This is a Nexus, which means the version of Android is as stock as it gets and should take no time to approve. Yet here we are, ******** again about the lack of updates to a phone that should be the easiest of all to update. Look Verizon, if you aren’t going to give this phone attention, then at least cut the cord between you and Google so that they can give us timely updates, something you have failed to do from day 1."

All the Android based sites I frequent echo the same sentiments. The Verizon GNex has become a joke.

I don't care who you think is at fault here. I purchased this phone from Verizon and that is where I place the blame.

<Post edited for profanity per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

What's his credentials? Has he even worked on these types of electronics? He's a writer with no background within what he is writing about. A writer from Droidlife wrote an article with some background about the Sony AOSP project with Google. He outlined the whole process and that is being overlooked by everyone just because "they just want their update now!". It's not to simple.

It wouldn't surprise me at all Verizon gives no special treatment to the Nexus device much like Sprint might because of their limited LTE devices and limited LTE coverage. Other than that I can give a bunch of "I told you so" to the people that didn't believe me and drank Google-Aid and bashed me on that thread I started about the Nexus before it came out. Good day to you sir.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You know what's funny. Real developers don't care that the Nexus didn't get an update. The non developers are the ones complaining about it.

I quote from Google when they released the Nexus One. The Nexus is intended for developers to know what the future of hardware should be and for manufacturers to know what the minimum specifications should be. We will not stop consumers from buying these devices if they choose to buy them."

Consumers are trying to evolve the Nexus into something it is not.

0 Likes
rotocat
Enthusiast - Level 3

What exactly are they ring to evolve it into? A phone that has the

current updates like all nexus devices have?

Tidbits
Legend

A phone meant for consumers. It's true intent has always been for developers. No developer I have met complained about it not getting updates. They do it themselves 100% of the time if it warranted the need for the shiny update.

0 Likes