Android Browser Question
dianeh47

First, perhaps an easy one -- after the Froyo 2.2 update my previous bookmarks are gone. Or perhaps I just don't know where to find them. I even added one yesterday, after the update, and I don't know where that one went either. Any help?

Also, both before and after the update, I have noticed that when I open the browser via the browser icon and then close the webpage using the back button on the bottom, the browser does not actually stop running. It still shows as an active application in the task manager and is, I suppose, still using battery power until I go to task manager and close it. This does NOT happen if I go to a webpage via a link in my email or twitter -- in those cases the app closes when I exit the webpage. Is there some alternate way to close the application as I am exiting it?

Thanks for any and all help and I apologize if this is already posted somewhere. I did try to search for it but nothing showed up.

Diane

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Android Browser Question
an0dyne
Enthusiast - Level 3

I haven't had the opportunity to enjoy the 2.2 browser yet, but I think I remember reading about this somewhere.

Do you have a little gear in the top left of the window?  Someone on another forum (Maybe! I've been looking around all night and can't remember) said that is the bookmark tab.

I hope I didn't mislead you.  Good luck with froyo, I hope to join you soon!

0 Likes
dianeh47

Yes, that's it! Though I think it looks more like a ribbon with a star in it -- I guess they were going for an oldfashioned ribbon used to mark your place in a book?

Still haven't figured out how to exit the application though.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
KinquanaH_VZW
VZ Employee Emeritus

Thanks for the information an0dyne. I am happy you were able to locate the bookmark tab dianeh47. In regards to steps to exit the browser once you are done viewing a website or link, your phone does not have an option while connected within the browser to completely close the window/web-page. You can continue to exit out of the actual browser window by pressing the back key at the bottom of the phone, however the browser will continue to run in the background unless you close the web-page/link via the Task Manager. 

0 Likes
dianeh47

Thanks, KinquanaH_VZW -- at least now I know I'm not going insane or, worse yet, "doing it wrong".  :smileywink:  I hope someone has suggested that this get fixed? Or maybe you could tell me if this is a significant drain on my resources, particularly battery, and I should just stop worrying it and let it run in the background all day?

Diane

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
You can also try Dolphin browser. It has an exit option. I never use the stock browser anymore and the exit option is one of the reasons.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
dianeh47

Thanks, I'll look for it. I had wondered if there were alternative browsers.

It really bugs me when they change things without any explanation. I was used to swiping the bottom of the window to get the zoom feature (which I discovered on my own by accident in the first place) and then when they took that away, it took me a while to figure out the new "pinch" method (which was suggested to me by someone who doesn't even have an android). Some documentation for the user would have been nice!

0 Likes
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3

dianeh47 wrote:

Thanks, I'll look for it. I had wondered if there were alternative browsers.

It really bugs me when they change things without any explanation. I was used to swiping the bottom of the window to get the zoom feature (which I discovered on my own by accident in the first place) and then when they took that away, it took me a while to figure out the new "pinch" method (which was suggested to me by someone who doesn't even have an android). Some documentation for the user would have been nice!

I have several browsers I use, opera, opera mini,firefox,dolphin, and skyfire. And you probably wondering why!! you would be surprised how some work better in different scenarios.
0 Likes