Android software engineer calls out "operator" ie VERIZON for delay
carseller0822
Contributor - Level 3

Here's a link to Jean-Baptiste Queru's Google+ page. He is a software engineer who works on Android. He doesn't name Verizon specifically but

since the Galaxy Nexus and Xoom 4G on their network are the only “Google-engineered flagship devices” not on ICS or that are running an older version of Android 4.0, I’m not sure who else he could be talking about.

https://plus.google.com/112218872649456413744/posts/79eKhEgNYeN

0 Likes
Re: Android software engineer calls out "operator" ie VERIZON for delay
mikem84
Enthusiast - Level 2

"Writing the software doesn't mean that Google can deploy it immediately, there are operator approvals for devices that are sold and/or supported by operators. Look at the US WiFi Xoom: obviously no operator approval, upgraded to 4.0.3 back in December (the first version of ICS that ran on anything other than Galaxy Nexus) and now running 4.0.4."

I think it's funny how a key member Android said don't blame Google, blame the operator ie: VZW, while there are those on this forum that keep saying it's Google 100%.

Spiral
Master - Level 1

I personally don't have an opinion on who is to blame for the delay (and I don't care) but to be fair, I would not expect someone who works at Google (as Jean-Baptiste Queru does) to blame Google for the delay.  All that proves to me is that he is not a foolish employee looking to get fired. 

0 Likes
mikem84
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree, but at least he is talking about it and giving Google's side. At this point the only update I want is the one that fixes my muted mic problem, anything else I will go with a custom rom.

0 Likes
proxus01
Enthusiast - Level 2

The software update the Jean-Baptiste Queru is talking about is fully functioning. Verizon doesn't need to touch the update, but they do, and delay it for everyone else for 3 months.  The problem is Verizon, not Google.