Anybody Else's Nexus Catch Fire?
bad_nexus

I was charging my Galaxy Nexus with the USB cord over the weekend, and after about an hour it went black and started smoking.  I pulled the cord out and after it cooled off a bit (too hot to hold onto) I pulled the battery.  After both cooled off, I was able to boot the phone back up, but the USB port and the USB charger were both fried and stunk of burnt plastic.  The next couple of times I tried plugging it in (different cords) it would start to smoke, but now the USB port is dead all together.

Has this happened to anyone else?

0 Likes
Re: Anybody Else's Nexus Catch Fire?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

No it hasn't happened to my phone. I don't recall if I have ever read a similar situation before either.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Anybody Else's Nexus Catch Fire?
jbmcdroid
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, bad_nexus, it happened to my Nexus last year in the same manner as you describing. I didn't do anything differently when I plugged in my wall charger and, like you, only noticed it when smelling the distinctive odor of burnt plastic. Not realizing the source and extent of the problem, as the phone seemed to work okay, I later plugged the phone into my car charger and the same thing occurred.

I promptly took my 'smoked' Galaxy Nexus and my damaged charging cables to the nearest Verizon store to get checked out and was told that the motherboard and the charging port were both damaged as well as the two charging cables. As my model Nexus was no longer available, the Verizon store (with corporate consent) replaced my phone with a Samsung Galaxy S3 and the two damaged charging cables.

While the S3 was considered an upgrade, I truly wanted another Galaxy Nexus as I preferred its 'pure' Android system to the modified OS and stock TouchWiz launcher of the S3. The only advantage of the newer Galaxy S3 that I saw was the larger screen and possibly the chance that the S3 would get updated to newer Android operating systems in the future, something that eventually came to pass late last year.

0 Likes