Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anyone use Skype?
Froyoed
Member

Just wondering if anyone has used Skype on their Fascinate?

 

Heading off to Italy in a couple of weeks and yes I know the phone is CDMA so can't make or receive calls outside of the US, but it also has WiFi so should be no problem connecting/surfing the Internet and thats where Skype comes in.

I know using Skype on the Verizon Fascinate in the US is basically another con by Verizon because they only agreed to allow Skype on the phone after it was 'modified' so that it would actually route calls over Verizons telephone network instead of the internet.

So my question is really, "has anyone tried using Skype on their Fascinate outside of the US?".

0 Likes
Re: Anyone use Skype?
Smokie11
Novice

No I haven't, but you peaked my curiosity and I tried to use it and it doesn't work in the US either, it reroute me to a Verizon link that I cannot use because it requires Flash and my phone for some reason don't seem to be able to view Flash websites so I have an application on my phone I can't use at all...what a surprise.

0 Likes
Re: Anyone use Skype?
nickjr
Novice

Smokie11 wrote:

No I haven't, but you peaked my curiosity and I tried to use it and it doesn't work in the US either, it reroute me to a Verizon link that I cannot use because it requires Flash and my phone for some reason don't seem to be able to view Flash websites so I have an application on my phone I can't use at all...what a surprise.


I hear several users in this forum got rid of it since it did not work. You wonder why it was put on our phones in the first place..
0 Likes
Re: Anyone use Skype?
SFObrien
Novice

nickjr wrote:

Smokie11 wrote:

No I haven't, but you peaked my curiosity and I tried to use it and it doesn't work in the US either, it reroute me to a Verizon link that I cannot use because it requires Flash and my phone for some reason don't seem to be able to view Flash websites so I have an application on my phone I can't use at all...what a surprise.


I hear several users in this forum got rid of it since it did not work. You wonder why it was put on our phones in the first place..

$$$$$$$$$$ is the answer.  That is why you see things like Skype,Blockbuster,Facebook, etc.  A.K.A BLOATWARE.

0 Likes
Re: Anyone use Skype?
Smokie11
Novice

You can't remove Verizon's Skype which does not work, if you go directly to Skype it tells you that it will not work on a Galaxy phone unless you have...well you know; that something that we don't. The Facebook app. that came with my phone also does not work. Will not display any pictures.

 

My phone makes and receives phone calls so is all good.

0 Likes
Re: Anyone use Skype?
PO_pack_mule
Novice
I've Used skype on this phone to talk with our son who is in Iraq. Works just fine, except no video. He uses his laptop.
The facebook app works okay, but I've noticed that it's not as quick with the new FB version. Probably because the new version is really built for 2.2, which we don't have yet, officially.
0 Likes
Re: Anyone use Skype?
Smokie11
Novice

Can you tell how it works, when I click on the Skype icon in our phone a useless message pop's up telling me to click on a link that uses Flash and therefore I cannot see.

0 Likes
Re: Anyone use Skype?
nickjr
Novice

Smokie11 wrote:

Can you tell how it works, when I click on the Skype icon in our phone a useless message pop's up telling me to click on a link that uses Flash and therefore I cannot see.


Again we see another issue with not having 2.2 updated on your phones. Give thanks to Verizon and Samsung for putting us users through this turmoil.
0 Likes
Re: Anyone use Skype?
PO_pack_mule
Novice
Smokie, I think I know what your talking about. You need to first go to the skype website on your pc and set up your account. It's been awhile since I set it up, but I do remember having to do that before I could get it to work on the phone.
0 Likes
Re: Anyone use Skype?
Smokie11
Novice

Does it require a separate account from the one I already have to use Skype on my TV and pc?

0 Likes