Apps crashing
nickle1008
Enthusiast - Level 1

My email, Google search bar, and a few other apps keep crashing when I try to open them on my Samsung Galaxy S9. Anyone else?

Labels (1)
30 Replies
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand your concern regarding the apps crashing on your Android device. We've seen this issue a few times in the last couple of days. We have some troubleshooting steps that you can take to get your phone back up and running. 

• Open the Play Store app
  • Search for Google Chrome
  • Select Update
  • Repeat these steps to update the Android System WebView app and then restart your device.

Additional steps may be required if the issue continues:

• Open your phone’s settings app
  • Tap Apps & notifications > Google Play Store > Storage & cache > Clear data
    • Please note that doing this will clear some of your Play Store settings like parental controls, auto-update preferences, etc.
    • Please recheck these settings after following these steps.
  • Repeat the steps above to update WebView and Chrome.

Please let us know how everything goes, we are standing by.

VictorC_VZW

0 Likes
scrubs_teeth
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just about every app will open for about 2 seconds then give a message that the app has stopped working. Nothing suggested made one bit of difference. This all began afternoon 3/22/21. I cannot access my email or text messaging which are super important to me. Was already thinking about leaving Verizon anyway... this may push me over the edge. supposedly this is a Google issue ... then Verizon needs to be all over them to fix this mess immediately! I am not paying for a service I am not receiving due to their mess up. 

0 Likes
scrubs_teeth
Enthusiast - Level 1

I tried again accessing the Google Play Store and looked for updates on apps... I found 5 that weren't there before. This is the same thing another person had posted here. I updated all of them and what do ya know it seems to have worked! Yay! 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's important for you apps to work. Let's get to the bottom of this. Please go to the Play Store on your phone. Search for Chrome. Update Chrome from there. Then search for Android System WebView. Update that as well. Restart your phone. Tell us if it's working after that.

0 Likes
sjmxyz

This fix from customer service does not work. To update CHROME I get error message that I do not have administrator permission. To update Android Webview I see that it is disabled, and the play store does not give me the option to reinstall, install, or remove any updates.

please post some instructions that work to resolve the problems with apps crashing. THESE INSTRUCTIONS DO NOT WORK.

0 Likes
mjr92
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was having the same problem until a 5 minutes ago. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 and most apps were crashing since 3/21 and 3/22, especially. I tried the soft reset, cleared cache, updated apps and held off on factory reset when I found this thread. 

Just updated the apps again in Google Play Store as there were several available today that weren't yesterday. Included update for Android System Webview, Chrome, Maps among others. 

Seemed to solve the problem...so far.

0 Likes
DEBSUL91

Yes, starting yesterday afternoon my apps want to close after opening and none of my texts are showing, just a blank background.

0 Likes
mossycade

I have the Galaxy S9 and was having the same issue with several apps, some were worse than others. I ended up narrowing it down to the Android System WebViewer. I deleted this application (had to go to Google Play Store to delete it.) Once it was gone, no more problems. The only difference I notice so far is that if I click on a link in one of the applications, that now opens a browser for that web content. Before I deleted the app, I did try and update but that never completed. I have not tried to reinstall the app at this point it seems to be more of a hassle and I don't mind having to select a web browser.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand wanting to have a working phone. I would love to help. Are you still having these issues?  AmberF_VZW

0 Likes
lvrr

I have an s10, Gmail kept crashing, Verizon said only a factory reset would fix it, I spend $20 for extra storage on Google One and backed-up my phone . This morning I went to the settings for the Gmail app and undid the last update (about a month old) and it fixed the problem. I figure Google made about fifty-million yesterday on new storage sales.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are glad to hear that everything is working as intended as of now, Ivrr. Sorry about the issues but happy that you are able to get the most from your device. If there is anything else we can help with, we are only a message away. 

0 Likes
chadly10
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes
viggie2cu

Same problem, started 3/22, still going on today, with both My S9 and my wife's  S7

Several apps crashing can't get to yahoo email,  bank etc.  Better fix or I'm out

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Please follow the steps below on how to update. Once Android System WebView and Google Chrome have been updated, please power cycle your phone.

1. Navigate to Play Store app
2. Search for Android System WebView
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.webview)
3. Select the "Update" option
4. Repeat these steps for Google Chrome (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.chrome)

0 Likes
jorob
Enthusiast - Level 2

Google Workspace Status Dashboard

After having the same exact problems I had found that it is indeed a Google issue.

The link above describes it more.

My Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge is now working perfectly after updating Android Apps on the Google Play Store App.

Update Android apps automatically

To automatically update apps on your Android device:

1. Open the Google Play Store app

Tap Menu 

Settings.

2. Tap Auto-update apps.
  3. Select an option:
    • Over any network to update apps using either Wi-Fi or mobile data.
    • Over Wi-Fi only to update apps only when connected to Wi-Fi.
JNulli

All my apps on my A51 started immediately closing also on 3/22/21. I cannot use most of my apps. Very frustrating 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely want to get this fixed ASAP! We would be more than happy to assist you with this! We will be sending you a Private Note, so we can continue. 

0 Likes
djl8412
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes. My S9 started this problem earlier.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know how important it is for your device to function correctly. We definitely want to find a solution for you ASAP! We will be sending you a Private Note, so we can further assist you. MoniqueH_VZW

0 Likes
helloDolly1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the exact same issue. FB and Snapchat seem to work but Google, email and many, many other apps (Carb Manager, Rummikub examples) open for a brief moment and then immediately close. I have tried turning Wifi on and off, powering device off and then on. Looked in settings to see if something happened that I wasn't aware of (my granddaughter's sometimes push random buttons and then I have to look for fix), but NOTHING. The Verizon "chat" feature was a waste (several times) and well, at least I now know I am not alone (misery does love company)! With this many folks having the same random issue, randomly pop up early Monday evening...it must be Verizon!