Barnes & Noble NOOK app?
magsgundah
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know the app is available for this phone.  I know people happily (very  happily, actually) using the app on Droid Xes.

I prefer the form factor of the Fascinate, the screen, the size.  But before I decide between the Fascinate and the X, I'd like to hear from someone actually using the B&N NOOK App on this phone.  I have no idea if the functionality would be different on 2.1 vs. 2.2...  (It's supposed to run on anything higher than Android 1.6 so I assume it works on most any Android phone.)

I'm not interested in the Kindle app, as I don't deal with Amazon and I do own a NOOK.  Hence I have a significant library of B&N books that I might want to read through the phone if/when I'm stuck without NOOK. 

If NOOK doesn't work well, it's probably not a dealbreaker; I don't want to read on an LCD screen, but it would be handy to read a few pages when caught somewhere waiting that I didn't expect to have to wait.  Now I people watch.  :smileytongue:

Aside:  Anybody know when the Bluefire Android app will appear?  They casually throw that it while ready by spring in a paragraph about supported platforms on their site, but it says just "Spring."  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Barnes & Noble NOOK app?
geolehman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nook works very well on the Fascinate.  Very readable and user friendly.  Nook is constantly being improved and is very feature rich.  This is one of the few apps that doesn't crash on the Fascinate.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

no clue on the nook, i wanted an ereader that was not tied to any account, that i could drag my ebooks into

went with aldiko.  i can just import anything into it and go

i also use calibre on my pc to change formats and manage books.

its a little more work, but it allows me more freedom

0 Likes
magsgundah
Enthusiast - Level 2

The benefit of the NOOK app would be that it could wirelessly sync so that I could start back up on NOOK at the same page.  Will alkido read B&N DRM?  If so, that at least allows me a way to read if the NOOK app isn't great.

Bluefire will read B&N books as well - at least the iOS version does, so I assume that the Android will.  That would also be a workaround if NOOK isn't good.

I do use Calibre on my PC to manage everything I have - bought from B&N and bought elsewhere.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

its supposed to read the nook drm, havent tried that though so can say for certain

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
@mags
The one main benefit of the nook app running on android 2.2 is that a majority of the application can be moved to the sd card. The application is a large one compared to others.

It is not a Fascinate, but I have not had any issues running the nook app on a phone with smaller screen and Android 2.2.1.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
geolehman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nook works very well on the Fascinate.  Very readable and user friendly.  Nook is constantly being improved and is very feature rich.  This is one of the few apps that doesn't crash on the Fascinate.

0 Likes
bjybab

I have book nook in my fascinate phone. I really like it. you can turn the pages like a book. And you can continue reading on another device that has book nook or the nook itself. Of course the disadvantage is that you are reading on a small screen but you can adjust the font so it's not too bad.

0 Likes
magsgundah
Enthusiast - Level 2

@All,

Thank you!  This is exactly what I wanted to know.  :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes