Re: Battery Issue after update?
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

I could maybe go 2 days with minimal use but I put mine on the charger every night since it isn't good to constantly drain the batteries all the way down.  Not to mention DL30 Froyo is a bit more a battery hog than DL09 Eclair as shown below with pretty much the same usage.  And if you ever wondered why the battery drops quickly from 100 or may show less than 100 when you take it off the charger, you can see the trickle charge that is being used in the screenshots.

DL09- wifi only

DL30 - 3G only

And just for amusement, I checked to see how much continuous usage would kill the battery.  Took ~4.5hrs on max brightness of watching shows on the tv.com app and using flash through the browser to play the google honeycomb event from last week.

0 Likes
starmanjb

Yes.  I'm having the same problem.  Replaced the battery, no change.  Replaced the phone, no change.  Battery hardly runs 10-11 hours before I get the orange icon and "Connect Phone To Charger" message.  This needs fixed.

0 Likes
PO_pack_mule
Contributor - Level 2

starmanjb wrote:

Yes.  I'm having the same problem.  Replaced the battery, no change.  Replaced the phone, no change.  Battery hardly runs 10-11 hours before I get the orange icon and "Connect Phone To Charger" message.  This needs fixed.

From what I've been reading, the battery itself has a sort of "mini computer chip" on it that communicates with the phone.  You cannot overcharge the battery and likewise it will not let you completely discharge the battery either.  It also will not develop a "memory" and it likes to be charged before you get the warning message.

Best things to do to improve the battery life:

1.  Change the wallpaper from "live" to something static - the darker the better if possible.

2.  If out of cell coverage, switch to airplane mode.  The worse your coverage/signal is, the more juice your phone will use to try and boost.

3.  Change to a longer interval for backup/sync settings.

4.  Change polling frequency for email.

5.  Lower brightness setting for screen.

6.  Lower timeout setting for screen.

7.  Use the Task Manager to close unnecessary apps.

Please excuse if this is duplicated!

- For me, I noticed a huge difference in just changing the wallpaper.  The screen is way nice, but it likes the juice!

0 Likes
DonM
Contributor - Level 2

I have looked over the suggestions here and I have been following the vast majority for a while but I encountered something that may be of interest.

I recently uninstalled an app as an experiment to see if removing it had any effect on the phone. It has a reputation of heavy processor use and I wanted to see if removing it caused the phone to act "zippier". I notice nothing different after a few hours so I reinstalled. Lo and behold my battery use was markedly better. I went from a charged-to-drained time of a little over one day to slightly over two. Granted this isn't great battery life but it was a significant improvement over what I had.

I can't explain what exactly happened. I reinstalled from the website, the initial install back in October the reinstall last month. There have been a few minor updates between but when I went over the various install logs at the site there was no smoking gun that would explain what happened besides I allowed all OTA updates when prompted.

0 Likes