Black Screen
eggyjla74

Ok - so I downloaded an app!  for adjusting screen brightness.  Apparently 0% bascally turns the screen off and can't find anything.  I tried to do a restart, pulled the battery, etc but that did not work.  The screens comes alove long enough to see the verizon login and Galaxy S logo, but nothing after that.  Any suggestions?  Is it possible for Verizon to do a master/factory reset over the phone?

0 Likes
Re: Black Screen
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

I apologize but you can not do a Factory Reset over the phone in this case.  Since you can not see the phones menu the Factory Reset steps would not work for you.  

But here they are just in case.

Factory Reset option 1  -This method will not erase any MDN/MIN information
From the main screen, touch menu tab
Touch Settings
Touch Privacy
Touch Factory Data reset
Touch Reset Phone
Touch Erase Everything
Warning: This will erase all data from your phone, including:

• Your Google account
  • System and application data and settings
  • Downloaded Applications

It will not erase: Current System software and bundled applications; SD Card files, such as music or Photos

Try these 5 things:

1 Plug in the charger, to see if the screen brightens up.

2. Try calling the phone, to see if the screen lights up. 

3.  Connect the phone to the computer, you would then have to blindly mount it to the PC, then use the file explorer to see if you can remove the application  you installed to change the screen settings.  

4. Try leaving the battery out for about an hour, then see if the settings for brightness have changed.  

5.  Try pressing and holding down the power button.

0 Likes
vtolin

This has happened to me too! The dealer replaced my phone yesterday cause we couldn't figure out what happened and then last night it did it again and we can't get it back no matter what we have tried. I've got a call into the store mgr and they suggested switching phones but I like my Samsung!!!!!! I downloaded the Power Control Bar and maybe that's the problem???? I used it fine for 10 days before it did this.

0 Likes
Delsa

Same thing happened to me. I downloaded the "fish screen". Screen went black. Took battery out and put it back in. Then I deep sixed the fish screen  and changed it to a photo. Seems to be working now. I'll see how long this lasts? What app did everyone download prior to this black screen?

0 Likes
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

I recommend avoiding  the previous applications that you have downloaded as they may conflict with the phones default settings.

The 1.7 update of the Power Control Plus Application (a similar application) is said to have  fixed a  typo in 30% transparency setting,  and fixed the screen being permanently disabled on the Samsung Fascinate phones when brightness is turned to 0% using the toggle widget.

The Power Control Bar is an Application  on the Android Market Place, and is not supported by Verizon Wireless.  Because it is an application that we do not offer, we have limited information on the application, and its use.

0 Likes
vtolin

Thank you Noah for your input!!!! I'm steering clear of them all for now!! Thanks to my Verizon store for replacing my phone once again!!! :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
JulieNChr

Noah, clearly no application should be able to get down to the hardware level directly, usually it's just an api call, in an Android phone that isn't rooted. So how precisely did a brightness widget do this to my brand new Fascinate. I too had to have the dealer replace the phone. I had even done the boot into recovery and cleared the cache and factory reset it. Nothing helped.

To me this seems like a serious bug in the phone. I haven't heard of other android phones doing this and with the apps running inside of the Dalvik Virtual Machine, I am confused how this would even be possible unless it were a bug in the phones firmware or the OS.

Can you or someone at Verizon provide a solid answer to this?

Thanks,

Julie

0 Likes
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

The previous post were pertaining to a problem with an application that was downloaded to the phone that allowed the screen brightness to be set to a level that could not be seen.  This application did not change the base programming code of the device,  it likely just gave the user a setting that was not in the regular options.  The problem that you are experiencing seems to be a different issue. 

0 Likes