Block Entire Area Codes?
usmaak
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been getting junk text messages from area codes 420 and 423.  I tried blocking the individual numbers and each text message is from a different number.  I don't know anyone in either of these area codes, and would like to completely block them.  It appears that all I can do on this phone is block individual numbers.  Am I missing something?  Is there truly no way to block area codes from texting?

Re: Block Entire Area Codes?
bearone21
Legend

blocking an entire area code is something i've never seen offered, need to block/delete one by one.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

On my old Samsung Galaxy S4 running Lollipop, I was able to "block" entire area codes as well as area codes + exchanges. ("Blocking" at the device level simply sends calls directly to voicemail).

That ability has since been removed. It cannot be done on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge running Nougat. Blocking is now done strictly at the individual telephone number level.

jaimeg_vzw
Verizon Employee

Staying on top of block options is certainly important. We are here to help! Although there is no option to block entire zip codes from reaching you, you are able to continue blocking the numbers that text you individually as you have been doing. This would be the best and most economic solution. To ensure we are on the same page, we do have a couple of questions. When did the unwanted text messages begin? Also, what do the messages reference or detail?

JAIMEG_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

i had both s3 & s5 & never checked to see if i could block a whole area code, thanks.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

It was a nice feature to have. I still don't understand why it was taken away.

KnightlyScribe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Idn. I use MacroDroid (just search Play). It's very good.

0 Likes
blahrg
Enthusiast - Level 1

It would be trivial to do technologically and would cost Verzion nothing to implement. But it's all about Verizon wanting to charge you an extra $10/month for the ability to block more than 5 phone numbers.

That is why their initial blocking options are so useless; to force the upsell.

Endertime
Enthusiast - Level 1

Individually blocking numbers doesn't work because the local number is spoofed from the same area code. Does not stop the spam from a specific region.

jamielasvegas

I haven't tried texts, but it only took me about 5 minutes to setup and test blocking of unwanted calls with MacroDroid.  SMS might be similar

https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/172174/block-all-calls-from-area-code-unless-in-contacts

I had to make a few changes to the instructions in the link (like creating a global variable rather than one local to the macro), but it worked like a charm.

0 Likes