Bluetooth functionality...
bgm

Hello folks,

I use a Plantronics Discovery 975 headset with my Fascinate.  This (really excellent) headset supports the Headset Profile (HSP), and the Hands-free Profile (HFP).  It works fine for calls (annoying screen-lock bugs notwithstanding), and a long-press on the headset activates the Nuance Voice Commands app (which also works pretty well for dialing contacts, etc). 

Now I'm looking for a means to use this headset for a wider range of audio/voice functions on the Fascinate, but apparently the phone is programmed to reserve what I want for devices that support the Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)...  I want to:

• Listen to Internet media such as news, youtube video content, etc.  (I know my headset is just a mono device - that's fine).
  • Use the headset's microphone for the native Bing search, Google Maps, and the general-purpose speech-to-text keyboard functions

Does anyone know if the pending Froyo update offers more flexible bluetooth profile usage?  Anyone know of a hack to redirect all audio functions to a headset or hands-free bluetooth profile/device?

Thanks!

-- brian

0 Likes
Re: Bluetooth functionality...
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
Bluetooth functionality is something still under development for android. Native hands-free isn't even available below 2.2. Other than phone functions, the only bluetooth capability android has is it's music player and that's still limited to certain bluetooth devices. As far as hacks, until google develops and releases the code, even the most extreme of measures won't make it available and, so far, I haven't heard anything about increased bluetooth functionality included with their next flavor of os, though nothing has been officially announced yet.
0 Likes
Re: Bluetooth functionality...
bgm

thanks for the informative, if unsatisfying, reply Smiley Happy

I guess i'll hope that someone at Samsung/Verizon feels the same way and has spiffed up the bluetooth functionality for the 2.2 release - the last smartphone I had would stream all audio to this handsfree headset.  I'm not positive on the accuracy, but I saw an FAQ on a Samsung site that claims the SCH-i500 supports some pretty exotic bluetooth profiles.  From what you're saying, this would all be a Samsung/Vzw addition to native android.

I'll not hold my breath...

0 Likes