Bluetooth handsfree silenced by aux. audio out
DaleCell707

I have Bluetooth handsfree in my car. It works fine with the Fascinate. ...until I plug my Fascinate auxillary audio output into the auxillary audio input for my car stereo. After that, the Bluetooth connection is maintained and dialing is possible, but call audio doesn't work as long as the auxillary audio jack is in use.  The moment I unplug the audio cable, handsfree audio works again.  This is unacceptible; I should be able to use Bluetooth handsfree for calls while I listen to music playing out through audio out.  My old phone did that fine.

Unfortunately, Samsung seems to disagree.  Their support told me:

"Dear Mr Dale

Thank you for your inquiry.While your hanset does  support the bluethooth profile for hands free operation, this would be best addressed by vehicle manufacturer, as they can provide a list  handsets approved for compatibility.In most cases, this information is avaliable on the manufacturer's website.Please bear in mind that samsung does not support the use of any third party hardware with are handsets. We apologize for any incovenience this presents.

Felipe."

Any chance Verizon could lean on them to fix this design flaw?

0 Likes
Re: Bluetooth handsfree silenced by aux. audio out
LandLockedPH

I also experience the exact same issue with both my Nissan and my wife's Mercedes.  We both now have a Fascinate  All of the previous devices I've used have worked as expected including BB and HTC Incredibles.

This is unacceptable and a safety issue that I would expect Verizon to be concerned about.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

unfortunately, vzn is not going to do anything about this. it's up to samsung or google (if it's an android with samsung issue). android and bluetooth has had many unacceptable issues (it wasn't really "hands free," until 2.2 was released, for most bluetooth devices. you still had to use the phone, instead of voice through bluetooth, to dial numbers!!!)

0 Likes
LandLockedPH

Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree.

The party who accepts money for a purchase is the one responsible for selling a device that works as advertised.  That, would be Verizon.  If it doesn't work as advertised, Verizon is the one responsible for refunding your money... all of it.

If you purchase a toaster from Walmart that burns your bread - would you try to return it to Black and Decker or would you go to Walmart?

0 Likes
DaleCell707

Now it's working.  Strange that Samsung said it simply wasn't supposed to work.?.  Their tech support was not at all helpful.

Anyway, I swapped my phone for a replacement because the camera LED flash wasn't working on my original one.  Now handsfree is not muted by use of the aux audio  out.  When testing the replacement phone, I also that the aux audio jack is really stiff for the last few millimeters.  It's possible that this was user error all along. 

If you have this problem, be sure the audio plug is fully inserted into the jack.  If it still doesn't work, try to get a replacement phone.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

landlockedph....vzn gives you 30 days to get a full refund. but that's not what is being requested here. what is being requested here is a fix (not a refund). vzn doesn't write the OS software. they can't fix it. as far as your comparison goes..... if i wanted my black and decker "fixed" then of course i WOULD NOT take it to walmart. i'd send it to black and decker. if i simply wanted a refund then i'd take it back to walmart. vzn takes back phones within 30 days and issues FULL refunds. but you can't expect them to fix a device that they did not manufacture or write the software for. you also can't expect them to refund the price after months of use. they don't "fix" anything. they'll just give you a replacement.

0 Likes
DaleCell707

This is so frustrating.  I thought it worked but for some reason, I was able to hear the test call through the car speakers but since I wasn't talking to someone, I didn't realize that my voice was muted. 

So the problem remains:  Plugging in the aux. audio jack (fully) mutes Bluetooth handsfree audio.  I think the phone misinterprets it as though I'd plugged in an external mic.  Lame. 

0 Likes
LandLockedPH

True.

0 Likes
Sanafol

My bluetooth is silenced but i dont have an auxillary output in my car, the bluetooth was working fine for the past 2 weeks i've had it. Tmrw will be the 3rd week i've had this and its frustrating when your trying to make a call and you cant' hear even a dial tone on your car speakers. Even when i try to take it off bluetooth and transfer it to my handset to talk from there, it doesnt go thru. Am I the only one with this problem for the fascinate?

0 Likes
VZW_Zrock02
Contributor - Level 3

Since this error only occurs on your Droid I would assume that it is a system error. I recommend performing a factory reset to clear out all settings. The steps to do this are listed below:

Note Performing a hard reset will remove ALL data including the Google account, system data, application data, application settings, and downloaded applications. 

Follow the directions below to perform a hard reset:

1. From the home screen, touch the Applications tab (located on the bottom of the screen).
  2. Touch Settings.
  3. Touch Privacy.
  4. Touch Factory data reset.
  5. Touch Reset phone.
  6. Touch Erase Everything
0 Likes