Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring the phone you love. OR get iPhone 13, on us. Online only. With Select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 1.31. Buy now
end of navigation menu
Calculator Bug
casamurphy

The native calculator while on Scientific Calculator mode doesn't properly apply exponents to expressions containing negative numbers.  -3^(2) should be -9 as opposed to (-3)^(2) which would be 9.  Pop both of these expressions into a Google search bar to assure yourself that I am right and then test the Samsung Calculator and you will see that it is flawed.

0 Likes
Re: Calculator Bug
casamurphy

I'm replying to my own post because the system applied a hard return at a confusing place on the original post.

Here is how it should have read:

The native calculator while on Scientific Calculator mode doesn't properly apply exponents to expressions containing negative numbers.
     -3^(2) should be -9 as opposed to (-3)^(2) which would be 9.  
Pop both of these expressions into a Google search bar to assure yourself that I am right and then test the Samsung Calculator and you will see that it is flawed.

0 Likes
TheFourthDoctor

Nice catch.  

It looks like the calculator is not applying the order of operations correctly. 
-3^2 is equivalent to -1*3^2 = -9,which the calculator does correctly.

It appears to be treating -3^2 as equivalent to (-3)^2, which is wrong.
Of course, if you "encourage" the calculator by putting parenthesis in the right places, -(3^2) then it'll come up with correct answer...

0 Likes
ARossetter
Contributor

Most calculators will show this (incorrect) interpretation of -3^2, including the fun one supplied with Windows (try it!)

For anyone else curious about this, here's an explanation:

Ask Dr. Math

So yeah, it's a bug, but I doubt this one would ever get fixed.

0 Likes