Caller ID blocking vs.. text messages
mbjs

Caller ID blocking requires *82 to be added to a number to allow a name to be seen on caller ID.  If the phone is programmed with *82+number for your friends text messaging will fail.  Your first text message will allow you to erase *82, once a response is received the Fascinate reverts to the *82 programmed number.  For subsequent messaging you can not erase the *82.  Verizon's response is to remove all programmed *82's with Called ID blocking on.  Now dial a programmed number, there is no way to add *82 before calling.  Texting does not recognize *82.  

Another option don't have Caller ID blocking at all, but use *67 to block the Caller ID.  Again Fascinate does not allow adding *67 to be used with a programmed phone number.  

With the Fascinate you get Caller ID blocking of all numbers or text messaging.  Not both.  A very expensive phone to have such poor programming.

Simple solution: Verizon reprograms texting to ignore *82, etc.    But will Verizon bother?

Is Verizon charging you for both services only to have them negate the use of the other?

0 Likes
Re: Caller ID blocking vs.. text messages
dsg29

I am having the same problem. I spoke with a Verizon CS rep who stated that VZW was unaware of the issue, but at least stated that she would send it up the chain. As I previously had a Samsung Alias and had no such issue, it would appear that this was some oversight in system software that should be relatively easy to fix with an OTA patch...are you out there, VZW???

0 Likes
Algava
Same problem here.
I had to setup some of my contacts with two numbers,one with *82 and the other without.
The problem is that the phone will default to the *82 one after you get a reply,even if you specify to send to the # without *82.
The only way is to forward the messages rather than send them.
Verizon, we need help
0 Likes
ranl
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same problem. I also had it when I had the Blackberry. For many of my contacts I just have them in twice.(Once with the *82 and without). I haven't seen or had the problem with the phone defaulting to the one one with the *82 rather than the other when sending/receiving txts though.

0 Likes
antonius

I have the same issue and it has been driving me crazy on my fascinate and my last samsung phone.  My Motorola from 4 years ago ALLOWED me to send texts with *82 built into the number.  I had 1 entry in my phone book for friends with *82 and when I sent or received texts, it just ignored that part.   The Samsungs require me to make TWO entries in the phone book, 1 with and 1 without *82, however, with the fascinate, it just adds the *82 to the number regardless as others have said.  Even if I sent a text to someone without the *82, when they reply, it adds it back in and I cannot respond.  If a FOUR YEAR old Motorola can ignore the *82 for texts......

0 Likes
10sEn
Contributor - Level 3

The simple solution is to follow the instructions from Verizon's website to ID block your number.

http://support.vzw.com/clc/features/calling_features/caller_id.html

0 Likes