Can incoming text messages be converted to speech?
ajkhh37

I know incoming calls (caller id)can be converted to speech, but can incoming text messages be converted to speech?

When driving, I would like my incoming text message to be converted to speech. Is there a way this can be done?

0 Likes
Re: Can incoming text messages be converted to speech?
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3
Open the text message that you want to have read by tapping on it. Then press and hold the volume up button until it starts to read it. Should work for email also.
0 Likes
ajkhh37

I need to have it hands free.  Example- I want to hear the text message when driving. 
Just like when an incoming call comes in, my phone announces who is calling.  Example- "Call from Home"

0 Likes
JoshuaYP

you can always drive with 1 hand and maintain the volume+ with the other hand... give it a try, it's not mission impossible XD

0 Likes
ajkhh37
Thanks for your comment, but that just doesnt help. Think about it..not everyone is able to do that because of laws, age, disability. I am just trying to find out if the Samsung phone can do the incoming text to speech hands free. My phone previous did convert incoming text to speech.
0 Likes
August03
Contributor - Level 3

Here are the steps to set the text to speech on the device.

Configuring Text To Speech

1. Press the Home Key 
  2. Press the Menu Key 
  3. Tap on Settings

4. Tap on Text to-speech

5. Tap on one of the options to enable or disable the function or configure speech rate and language

• Listen to an example: plays a short example of what the text-tospeech feature sounds like on your device when activated.
  • Install voice data: confirms the installation of necessary data required for voice synthesis
  • Driving mode: incoming calls and new notifications are automatically ready out loud.
  • Always use my settings: accepts an override of application settings with personal configurations for this text-to-speech settings screen. If enabled, your device defaults to using the text-to-speech feature.

• Speech rate: adjusts the rate at which onscreen text is spoken by the device. Choose from: Very slow, Slow, Normal, Fast, and Very fast.

• Language: assigns the language used for verbal readout. Choose from American English or Spanish.

0 Likes
ajkhh37

Hi, I think I will have to take my phone into Verizon. On my Text-to-Speech page, the Install voice data is disabled and I do not have the Driving Mode option. Thanks anyway. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Suburban78
Contributor - Level 1
Don't sweat it, the fascinate will not automatically read incoming texts, you have to do it manually at this time. As normal, the wireless employee has no clue what they are talking about unless they are talking about froyo procedures which we do not have yet. You could always do the safest thing and just waite to read your text until you have stopped driving!
0 Likes
Suburban78
Contributor - Level 1
None of the fascinates have the driving option!
0 Likes
ajkhh37
I ended up downloading a free app called drivesaf.ly, which seems to work just fine.
0 Likes