Can no longer recommend Fascinate due to non-support of issues - class action time?
jcj1

I loved my Fascinate when I got it, but the failure of Verizon to promptly resolve KNOWN software issues with known-to-Verizon solutions constitutes something dangerously close to fraud.  Like others, I was promised a prompt upgrade to Froyo by a Verizon rep when I bought the phone.  Like others. my GPS performance is terrible, with frequent delays of 10 minutes to infinity to achieve a location lock.  Like others, I let my 30 day return expire because I was promised a software fix was coming out Real Soon Now, so now I am screwed.

The issue is NOT the delayed Froyo update,the issue is that the phone does not function as promised by Verizon when sold.  Knowing sale of a defective product that does not meet its advertised features is fraudulent under the commercial code in any state of the union.

Therefore I am doing some of the few things I can do under the circumstances:

First of all, new buyers are warned that the phone DOES NOT WORK as advertised in many cases due to software issues with GPS, email push, and other features.  If you buy it, don't expect it to work.  If you are promised otherwise by a Verizon store or rep, be warned that the promises are empty.  Be warned that the Verizon implementation of Bing en lieu of Google search and other disruptions of the base Google services makes the phone almost unusable compared to a true Android environment such as that on certain other Android phones and providers.  Bing is terrible. VZNavigator is a rip off (and terrible).  If you are a lawyer interested in a class action against Verizon related to thi sphone be aware that you should have plenty of interested parties.  Personally I would like my service fees waved for the period from September when I bought the phone through whenever-they-actually-make-it-work with debugged software.  It is clear that engineering KNOWS how to make the GPS work even without a full Froyo update - they just haven't released a patch.

I wish I could love this phone - but I can't recommend it any more to any one for any reason until Samsung/Verizon fix the software and de-Bing and de-bloat an otherwise excellent piece of hardware.  This is EXACTLY what Apple got right, and that Verizon has wrong.  A pox on them and their bloatware and BIng and broken search functions.  It's like a bad dream.  Swapping the hardware out for another Fasicinate won't fix it.  I'm stuck.

0 Likes
Re: Can no longer recommend Fascinate due to non-support of issues - class action time?
ARossetter
Contributor - Level 1

To be perfectly blunt, I'll crap myself when one of these threatened class action lawsuits finally happens. I've seen this with just about every phone under the sun released in the past three years, iPhone included. It's actually quite funny at this point.

- Andy

0 Likes
Re: Can no longer recommend Fascinate due to non-support of issues - class action time?
jcj2

Do I actually expect to see a suit?  No, not really.  But, message reads on the first page of the Fascinate forum suggest that as of now at least 4000 potential Fascinate owners may have received enough reasons to consider either a different phone or a different carrier.  Verizon execs might have a look over the fence at IPhone land, where there is a mob wielding torches and pitch forks that loves their iPhones (but hates ATT for the poor service experience).  Provide even average service and you build brand loyalty that overcomes almost any foul up.  Give your customers good reasons to hate you, and they surely will.

Today I drove a 30 mile round trip with a fresh A-GPS almanac and never got GPS located closer than 1100 yards.  If it ever DOES synch, it will be good to 10 ft.  and stay locked until I go indoors.  If.  The Bluetooth refused to connect (again).  Works great WHEN it actually occasionally works though.  The hardware can do it.  The software is a bad joke.  Is is Samsung's fault?  Maybe.  Could Verizon provide a timely fix by internal or Samsung resources? Definitely. Samsung has fixed these issues for other markets long ago.   The shame is that it takes what could be a great experience and sours it all.  It's not about Froyo, it's about having basic features that work.  While some of thse phones work perfectly, some combination of hardware and software issues means that too many customers did not receive what the paid for, and they have good reason to be angry with Verizon for the poor experience and callous treatment.

0 Likes
LandLockedPH

As much as I hate to, I couldn't agree with this thread more.  For many of the same issues mentioned above, I would not recommend Verizon and/or the Fascinate to anyone.  It really is a great device, just gimped and not supported by Verizon.

I'd recommend anybody BUT Verizon for what they've done to this phone AND MORE IMPORTANTLY... their paying customers.  What a shame!

0 Likes
Re: Can no longer recommend Fascinate due to non-support of issues - Jan 12 Update -Not.
jcj2

Update?  What update?  Alleged DL09 fixes and bloatware changes still not available to my number.  Flash?  Ummm ... not until Verizon gets done bloating up 2.2 it seems. 

I have found that shutting off the location pref for "Use Google location services" sometimes - not always - improves the GPS lock time.  This is most likely the result of Verizon's ill advised attempt to insert Bing and VzNavigate into the Fascinate's Anroid install that would normally default to the standard Google apps that are properly integrated into every other Androd phone I've played with.

I see that more than 650 possible Fasinate or Verizon customers have read my warning; clearly still  not enough to motivate ANY response or support from VZ service reps.   Many Fascinate users are paying for features that don't work - I suggest VZ refund data services from date delivered until they get these known issues  fixed.  Yeah, that will be the day!

0 Likes
Re: Can no longer recommend Fascinate due to non-support of issues - Jan 12 Update -Not.
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

I love how everyone calls verizon putting shortcuts to download apps "bloatware". they don't take up a significant amount of space, and no resources on a phone.

0 Likes
ARossetter
Contributor - Level 1

M91-30 wrote:

I love how everyone calls verizon putting shortcuts to download apps "bloatware". they don't take up a significant amount of space, and no resources on a phone.

But you cannot deny how annoying CityID is when it tell you, "Your free trial is up! Now you can buy me for $5.99 a month!" Or every time you try to use the car dock and just want to use Google Maps navigation instead of VZW Navigator (once again, for the low low price of $9.99 a month).

I agree that putting a new launcher on the phone and hiding the shortcuts is a perfectly good solution for those apps, but without a clean ROM, you're still harassed by the two examples above (and probably more, just can't think of them at the moment). 

- Andy

0 Likes
Yaeckman
Enthusiast - Level 3

You know what, before today when the DL09 Maintenance fix was not out there I would agree with you guys all the way.  Now that the DL09 is out there and I have tested the GPS, I'm fully satisfied with my fascinate.  Would I buy another Samsung???  NO... Because their support still sucks.  It took them way to long to get this GPS fix out and if they continue to have a track record like that then I won't buy another Samsung product.  But people, you have to realize two very important things:

#1 - Verizon is really not to blame in this.  If they are not getting the updates from Samsung then what can they do.  I bet they are as frustrated as all the customers are.

#2 - Now that the update is here and fixes the GPS issue which has been a sore spot for everyone all along, what in the world do all of you have to complain about.  Bloatware?  Don't look at time.  Subscriptions?  Don't Freaking Subscribe.  I use my google maps and Google Nav all the time even before the fix.  You don't HAVE to use the VZN.  Take the time folks to learn how to get around Verizon's little tricks.

Personally, I now consider this a closed case because I have a fully functional phone that will be better than the iPhone.  Whenever they get around to doing 2.2 or 2.3, that will just be icing on the cake.

I think it's time to move on and enjoy your fascinate!!

D

0 Likes
Jan 13 Update - Finally!
jcj2

The Verizon Update Gods finally permitted my phone to take on DL09 on Thursday.  The great news is that the GPS finally FINALLY works properly, now locking outdoors in less than 15 seconds and holding lock near a window when indoors.  Button back light ting fixed as advertised.  So all of that is great.

What would be even greater next would be Flash and better integrated cut and paste.  And a car dock that works.  And a factory de-Binging so that voice commands and mapping would work correctly without workarounds.  Those are all Froyo features on a phone advertised as Froyo update able soon after release.  Come on, now that you finally fixed the GPS after only 5 months we know you can do a bit more.

0 Likes
Do you know what you are talking about????
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

LandLockedPH wrote:

As much as I hate to, I couldn't agree with this thread more.  For many of the same issues mentioned above, I would not recommend Verizon and/or the Fascinate to anyone.  It really is a great device, just gimped and not supported by Verizon.

I'd recommend anybody BUT Verizon for what they've done to this phone AND MORE IMPORTANTLY... their paying customers.  What a shame!

Does anyone else have the update?  Tmobile?  At&T?  Sprint?  What is your basis of "not supported by Verizon"  Post the facts.  Learn the facts.  What has Verizon done to your phone; besides add VZ Nav, etc which is on every phone.  Where are your facts?

You have a 30-day worry free guarantee.  Do something about besides **bleep**.  ACTION!!! ON YOUR PART!!!.  GPS DOESN'T WORK?  IT'S DEFECTIVE!!! TAKE IT BACK!!! INSIST ON A REPLACEMENT UNTIL YOU ARE HAPPY WITH YOUR PHONE.  KWIT YOUR BITCHIN IF YOU WON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT YOUR OWN PROBLEMS. WHO WANTS TO HEAR IT?

0 Likes