Re: Considering Verizon and the Samsung Fascinate? Don't do it...
LandLockedPH

In case anyone is interested, here's the latest communication I received (in an onsite message) from Verizon:

1. GPS – A fix is being pushed out to the handsets to resolve the issue.

2. Stock email program – Please call  our Technical Support for any issues with email.  1-800-922-0204 option 3.  

3. 2.2 update – No ETA for 2.2

4. Bing - By design, BING is the default search engine. It is working as designed.

re:

1.  As I said above, GPS is better.  Today, it took about 3 minutes to lock onto a signal.  That's the worst it's been since the maintenance release.

2.  I've given up on the stock email program and am using K9 email exclusively.  Making another call to "technical support" would be an exercise in frustration and I've had enough of that. 

3 and 4:  As for 2.2 and Bing... I'd been told repeatedly by representatives of Verizon (both in their company owned stores and during calls to customer service) that 2.2 would be out "soon", "in a of couple weeks", "any day now", etc.  For that reason (and the fact that the hardware is quite good) I hung unto my Fascinate past the initial 30 days.  IF they had been honest with me and said it wouldn't be out for serveral months, if ever, I would have selected different devices... all three of them!  And, we were also told that making Google the "default search engine" would be possible when the 2.2 release was available thus solving the Bing issue.

Who's fault is it?  Samsung?  Verizon?  Doesn't really matter.  I'm Verizon's customer and they're the ones taking my money every month.  THEY should be the ones making THEIR customers happy instead of just making them angrier and causing them to spend their time with forum posts like this one.  I really do have better things to do.

Good luck.

0 Likes
MaxBuck
Contributor - Level 1

What is this "Bing issue?"  Why don't you just load the Google app and use that instead of the default browser icon?  That's what I've done, and it works great; Google has become my home page, and I avoid all the Bing and Verizon adware that calling up the stock browser involves.  Bing now never shows up on my phone.

I'm sure I'm missing something here, but using this as a reason not to buy this phone seems pretty odd.  It has by far the best display on the market, and it functions very well compared to other Android phones.

0 Likes
LandLockedPH
When you click on the search button (small magnifying glass on the lower right corner of your phone)... what search engine do you get?
0 Likes
10sEn
Contributor - Level 3

No need to keep asking about the OS upgrade that is rumored to not have Bing (although I'm fairly certain that's a Verizon, not Samsung, addition so I'm guessing it won't be addressed by Samsung's android OS upgrade).  The reason I say that is because you'll hear one of two things:

1. you'll hear "we cannot say when that will be out" or

2. you'll hear a rumor about when it will be out.

If you haven't noticed, Verizon employees on this website keep telling everyone on this site the same thing, and while you may think that they have some insider information because they work there, Verizon seems to be a very top-down company when it comes to releasing information to its employees and the public.  They keep things under tight wraps until various people need to know about it (and they release information as needed).  So, unless you happen to be friends with someone high up in Verizon who will tell you something off-the-record, you probably won't find out any sooner than most of the Verizon employees you're talking to.

0 Likes
MaxBuck
Contributor - Level 1

LandLockedPH wrote:
When you click on the search button (small magnifying glass on the lower right corner of your phone)... what search engine do you get?

I don't click on the "search" button.  I click on the Google icon on my home screen. 

0 Likes
LandLockedPH

I understand.  But, the "search button" is there to perform a search.  And, on every other Google Android device, it initiates a Google search.  That's why everyone is so upset that in the case of the Fascinate, it doesn't.  Verizon stated early on that with the 2.2 release, it would be able to.

0 Likes
bigfrank69
Contributor - Level 1

Well we dont have 2.2 so why worry about what it could do just enjoy and try to be happy with what the phone has on it.

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

There ya go.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

bigfrank69 wrote:

Well we dont have 2.2 so why worry about what it could do just enjoy and try to be happy with what the phone has on it.

Quite simple.  2.2 brings fixes for sluggishness, better battery life and a lot of updated apps that only run on 2.2.  Having only 2.1 is a problem.

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

LandLockedPH wrote:

I understand.  But, the "search button" is there to perform a search.  And, on every other Google Android device, it initiates a Google search.  That's why everyone is so upset that in the case of the Fascinate, it doesn't.  Verizon stated early on that with the 2.2 release, it would be able to.

See if this will make you feel better:

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-fascinate-google-search-fix

I haven't done it. 

0 Likes