Costco tougher than the Gorilla?
magsgundah
Enthusiast - Level 2

:smileysad:

I imagine this post will be deleted or at least strongly edited.  Maybe I can get some advice before that happens.

In thirteen years, I've never dropped and broken a cell phone, so I always decline the insurance.

Friday, my Fascinate slipped out of my hand in the Costco parking lot.  Landed screen down.  The phone still works, perfectly, but the screen is spiderwebbed.  Tiny slivers have rubbed off into my hands as I use it.

I don't have insurance on the phone.  

I ordered a third-party replacement LCD/digitizer.  I'm not voiding any warranty because it has no warranty.  Or, any warranty I'm voiding doesn't matter to me because the phone, as is, is not really quite usable.  If I don't replace the screen now, I need to replace the phone.  If I replace the screen and something goes wrong in six months, themanufacturer's warranty is void, and I'll have to replace the phone.  I'll take the chance that nothing is going to go wrong, - especially at $110 vs $449 now.  Even if I eventually have to replace the phone, total outlay is $600.  I'm still ahead of (years of)  insurance...

All of my disclaimers out of the way, :smileytongue:, anybody ever do this?  Any hints, tips, tricks, things I should know that the seller might not have told me?  We have electronices double-sided tape to cut and use where the screen is currently "adhesed" and multiple teeny tiny Phillips screwdrivers.  I've bookmarked a youtube video as well.

My husband will probably do this because I have a congenital neurological condition which has no symptoms or effects other than shaky hands.  You don't want to give me your camera to take a picture, it will be blurry.  You don't want to want me to help hold something level, I'll move it ever so slightly.  It's still minor, but as I age it will get worse.  My grandmother first gave up a cup and saucer.  Then she drank coffee out of a straw due to the shaking...  (Think about how you feel the morning after one or two too many glasses of wine.)

Husband's bribed me for me doing this was with the promise that I'd get either an Otterbox or a Seidio.  I found the Otterbox commuter case (normally $34.95) for $19.95, so I ordered one.  I also ordered him a cookbook for not saying "I told you so."  :smileyvery-happy:  (He has insurance, always gets insurance, and usually uses his insurance.  In ten years together he's had 4 phones replaced under insurance.  Every time we renew, he suggests that I get the insurance.)  However, that cookbook is as much a gift for me, because I'm the guinea pig for menu items... :smileywink:

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Costco tougher than the Gorilla?
Smokie11
Contributor - Level 1

Just a thought that may allow you to use phone until you replace the screen or phone. Install a screen protector over the spiderweb screen, it will help to hold together and give you a smooth surface to touch until the more permanent solution. Good luck.:smileyhappy:

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3

magsgundah wrote:

:smileysad:

I imagine this post will be deleted or at least strongly edited.  Maybe I can get some advice before that happens.

In thirteen years, I've never dropped and broken a cell phone, so I always decline the insurance.

Friday, my Fascinate slipped out of my hand in the Costco parking lot.  Landed screen down.  The phone still works, perfectly, but the screen is spiderwebbed.  Tiny slivers have rubbed off into my hands as I use it.

I don't have insurance on the phone.  

I ordered a third-party replacement LCD/digitizer.  I'm not voiding any warranty because it has no warranty.  Or, any warranty I'm voiding doesn't matter to me because the phone, as is, is not really quite usable.  If I don't replace the screen now, I need to replace the phone.  If I replace the screen and something goes wrong in six months, themanufacturer's warranty is void, and I'll have to replace the phone.  I'll take the chance that nothing is going to go wrong, - especially at $110 vs $449 now.  Even if I eventually have to replace the phone, total outlay is $600.  I'm still ahead of (years of)  insurance...

All of my disclaimers out of the way, :smileytongue:, anybody ever do this?  Any hints, tips, tricks, things I should know that the seller might not have told me?  We have electronices double-sided tape to cut and use where the screen is currently "adhesed" and multiple teeny tiny Phillips screwdrivers.  I've bookmarked a youtube video as well.

My husband will probably do this because I have a congenital neurological condition which has no symptoms or effects other than shaky hands.  You don't want to give me your camera to take a picture, it will be blurry.  You don't want to want me to help hold something level, I'll move it ever so slightly.  It's still minor, but as I age it will get worse.  My grandmother first gave up a cup and saucer.  Then she drank coffee out of a straw due to the shaking...  (Think about how you feel the morning after one or two too many glasses of wine.)

Husband's bribed me for me doing this was with the promise that I'd get either an Otterbox or a Seidio.  I found the Otterbox commuter case (normally $34.95) for $19.95, so I ordered one.  I also ordered him a cookbook for not saying "I told you so."  :smileyvery-happy:  (He has insurance, always gets insurance, and usually uses his insurance.  In ten years together he's had 4 phones replaced under insurance.  Every time we renew, he suggests that I get the insurance.)  However, that cookbook is as much a gift for me, because I'm the guinea pig for menu items... :smileywink:

Check out Craiglist, you would be surprised what you can get a brand new fascinate for. I also dropped by insurance after a few months due to simple math, and what a deductible would cost me, I could get the phone cheaper than the deductible and monthly insurance I was paying
0 Likes
Smokie11
Contributor - Level 1

Just a thought that may allow you to use phone until you replace the screen or phone. Install a screen protector over the spiderweb screen, it will help to hold together and give you a smooth surface to touch until the more permanent solution. Good luck.:smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Soulchaser
Enthusiast - Level 3

or you can use the open enrollment to get insurance now before the 13th of may, make your phone useable for 30 + days (so insurance has time to kick in)  then file a claim.100 bucks

0 Likes
magsgundah
Enthusiast - Level 2

Success.

It was definitely not as simple as the videos imply, it took WAY longer and it was a bit nervewracking, but it is installed and the phone works.  The most difficult part was that the screen was broken and came off in pieces, slivers, shards.  It's also glued in very, very well.

We ended up deciding against using the tiny adhesive strips we had and used a thin, teeny tiny bead of super glue.

If and when it ever craps the bed, I'll report back, but so far so good!

0 Likes
PO_pack_mule
Contributor - Level 2

magsgundah wrote:

Success.

It was definitely not as simple as the videos imply, it took WAY longer and it was a bit nervewracking, but it is installed and the phone works.  The most difficult part was that the screen was broken and came off in pieces, slivers, shards.  It's also glued in very, very well.

We ended up deciding against using the tiny adhesive strips we had and used a thin, teeny tiny bead of super glue.

If and when it ever craps the bed, I'll report back, but so far so good!

Wow!

Glad that it worked out for you!  Two of my extended family members just bought SF's, and I sent them each the Invisible Shield and the case/holster (Pt) from Best Buy.  The shield has a lifetime warranty and the case is way better than what you can get at the Verizon store.

For poops and grins, who/where did you end up buying the replacement screen through??  (knock on wood that I won't need it). 

0 Likes
magsgundah
Enthusiast - Level 2

Repairs Universe dot com.

I have given my solemn word to keep the phone in the Otterbox when it arrives in the mail.  :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes