Re: Cricket beats Verizon to Froyo...
MKF
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have to be the bad guy here this is just too much fun.....

Going with the  "Mr Canada"  Are you guys even sure hes even Canadaian(spelling)? Ah Maple leaf dead give away sorry.....

But anyways to the point.. Papa I do agree VZW reps did probably screw you guys with the oldest sales ptiches in the books, and you guys bit it hook line and sinker.  I'm sorry there isn't much to do about it un less the FCC gets involved.  Your best best is to strike up a petition but I do not think you could get enough people to care since most just root canal their phones now. But now comes to the all important question..

Class what did we learn from today's lesson? Always watch your back when dealing with a VZW sales rep and make sure to do extra research on a phone before you buy.  I still hve a question for the Canada guy M90 or something or another.... Why do you continue to provide these guys with ammo for this arguement. I mean you may be right but the thing about this is they don't in their eyes it doesn't matter they should have gotten it and they will always be mad about it even after they get another phone. Even when they see someone in the future with the Fascinate and it has 2.2 they will be like " I use to have that but VZW lied and I never got my 2.2 and I was going to sue but my Lawyer advised me against it!" "I *bleep* Hate VZW and samsung and I hope you do too!"   

You know I love you guys right?

0 Likes
notgoodenough
Enthusiast - Level 2

To MKF:

"Class what did we learn from today's lesson? Always watch your back when dealing with a VZW sales rep and make sure to do extra research on a phone before you buy."

I did try to do some research on this phone. I went on-line to CNET.com And here is what they said regarding this phone : 

Finally, for those worried about the TouchWiz interface interfering with future Android updates, Samsung has already said that the entire Galaxy S portfolio will be upgradable to Android 2.2 and that it has tweaked the UI to make it easier to adapt to future updates. However, the company also noted that without really knowing what Google has planned down the line, there may be a time where updates can't be supported because of hardware limitations or other factors.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/samsung-fascinate-black-verizon/4505-6452_7-34129372.html#ixzz1F...
I know it is sad that VERIZON AND SAMSUNG hasn't released an OFFICIAL Update yet. I think alot of the people who have legitimate complain regarding the FROYO don't want to get a root canal. I understand people are giving alternatives by going to xda but I personally don't want to do that. I hope you respect that just as I respect some of you guys saying that the FROYO that is available through xda is just the same or even better than the upcoming OFFICIAL release.
I just hope people will be more courteous when they come to this thread. There are some who can be really obnoxious at times. I'd rather not say their names because I think they find some gratification when you argue with them.
0 Likes
yoworm

The sad thing is that I doubt verizon is embarrassed or even cares.  Wow what a joke of a company verizon is but as always they get the last laugh.  Sitting back in there office laughing at our ignorance and waiting for the early termination fee or worse for our dumb {word filter avoidance} to renew our contract when it is up just to be{please keep your posts courteous} by verizon again.  How sad is it that a phone you can buy from 7eleven gets froyo before verizon.

{please keep your posts courteous}

0 Likes
DonM
Contributor - Level 2

"However, the company also noted that without really knowing what Google has planned down the line, there may be a time where updates can't be supported because of hardware limitations or other factors."

notgoodenough touched on "the elephant in the room" that being Android Platform Fragmentation. Framentation has been a problem that tends to be ignored because of the way Americans tend to change phones every couple of years.

Computers have to comply to OS standards, meaning computers have to be very alike in how they work or the available OSes will not work on them. Similarly OSes have to work across the board plus be backward compliant but all this is valid to a point. Over time computer and OS advances make older technologies obsolete but until that point standards compliance generally makes pretty much any OS work on any computer.

Android has presented issues before where differences between versions have broken both phones and apps. Judging by the work different manufacturers/carriers have to put into Android updates just to get phones to work compliance isn't one of their big concerns.

Verizon has been very good about releasing Froyo to phones...when Froyo works. Several phones have had Froyo issues, Samsung isn't the only company that has had trouble with it although it seems to be having the worst problems. I can't say that it is completely their fault. Sometimes Google is very Microsoft-like in the way they do things. I use iGoogle for home pages both at home and work with multiple apps on each page. On more than one occasion Google has made significate changes to the underlying codes, often without warning to app developers requiring a lot of effort on the devs part to get things working again.

Do I think people here have been mislead by Verizon Reps? Oh, yeah, experience over my lifetime has shown me that sales reps ethics are across the board but it wasn't necessarily deliberate. The typical Verizon rep in a store is young, ambitious and probably not going to stay at that job long. I have been going to my local Verizon store far longer than any of the workers currently there. Probably most of them aren't geeks and really don't care much about the minutiae of technology that geeks revel in. On multiple occasions I have walked in the store and after a few moments of conversation realize I knew more about what was being discussed that the employee.

I am not feeling any of the frustration I have seen here, my Fascinate works great. The only problem I have is battery life and that is a relative problem. My phone's battery lasts as long, if not a bit longer than a friend at work with an HTC EVO (he keeps his phone on 3G because 4G sucks the battery dry quickly).

0 Likes
notgoodenough
Enthusiast - Level 2
DonM

I think it is pretty clear that Samsung assured us that the entire Galaxy S phone would get the FROYO. The future updates they are not sure about is the updates after FROYO. There is no ambiguity here. I think CNET's report is pretty much direct.
0 Likes
DonM
Contributor - Level 2

I agree but I think this is a case of Samsung not expecting how hard it was going to be to fulfill that promise, or perhaps as I have read elsewhere, of them not having the talent onhand to deal with how hard it was going to be to fulfill that promise.

As I said before others have had a lot of trouble with Froyo, Samsung perhaps more than most. Updating the OS on a phone on a regular basis isn't something phone manufacturers and carriers have had to deal with. Until Android came out updates were few and far between and typically minor. It's obvious the ball has been dropped industry wide.

I don't think Samsung was devious by not intending to update the phone nor do I think Verizon employees lied to customers with malice and forethought. I think doing what they promised to do has proven to be far more difficult than they thought it would be.

0 Likes
epizzolo

I'd blame samsung first before anyone else.

0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

I blame the pope.

0 Likes
papa_leo
Contributor - Level 1

I called my financial advisor and was told that collection of the ETF will not impact your credit score by more then 10 points. THAT IS IT. 

I called Verzion and asked to cancel all my 5 lines, when they asked why I want to do so, I mentioned that VZW doesn't keep his part of the deal and lied to me so I am doing the same. I am switching to Sprint with their 5 lines Simply Everything and my corporate discount, I will be pocketing $100 each month. 

Verzion first threaten me with ETF which I said, I will deal with collections when time will come but can't stand them any longer. So Verzion said that my service will be cancelled immediately...guess what...2 hours after, I am getting a call from Verzion asking what they can do to have me stay with them. I guess....$500/month customer is not that they want to lose. So I asked them to give me  a straight up answer, when will Fascinate get Froyo. The person who I spoke to said that they would get my question to a manager that should call me within the next 24 hours. Until then, they asked me to hold off as my contract is still in affect.

If within 24 hours, I will not get the call from Verzion or get some **bleep** answer like ("any days", etc.), I'm just going go to Sprint and port all my lines over to them and let's have Verizon eat that. 

Verizon, I WILL NOT PAY A PENNY of ETF. CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?!

Verizon, you lied to me, I lied to you (when I signed the deal). We're even!

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

papa_leo wrote:

I called my financial advisor and was told that collection of the ETF will not impact your credit score by more then 10 points. THAT IS IT. 

I called Verzion and asked to cancel all my 5 lines, when they asked why I want to do so, I mentioned that VZW doesn't keep his part of the deal and lied to me so I am doing the same. I am switching to Sprint with their 5 lines Simply Everything and my corporate discount, I will be pocketing $100 each month. 

Verzion first threaten me with ETF which I said, I will deal with collections when time will come but can't stand them any longer. So Verzion said that my service will be cancelled immediately...guess what...2 hours after, I am getting a call from Verzion asking what they can do to have me stay with them. I guess....$500/month customer is not that they want to lose. So I asked them to give me  a straight up answer, when will Fascinate get Froyo. The person who I spoke to said that they would get my question to a manager that should call me within the next 24 hours. Until then, they asked me to hold off as my contract is still in affect.

If within 24 hours, I will not get the call from Verzion or get some **bleep** answer like ("any days", etc.), I'm just going go to Sprint and port all my lines over to them and let's have Verizon eat that. 

Verizon, I WILL NOT PAY A PENNY of ETF. CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?!

Verizon, you lied to me, I lied to you (when I signed the deal). We're even!

have fun with sprint, atop by when you come back to vzw :smileyhappy:

0 Likes