Disabling Geotagging
Brinovak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Now that we have Froyo, our cameras are geotagging our photos. I cannot find a way to turn this off in the camera settings. Does anyone know how to disable this feature without turning of location services completely?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Disabling Geotagging
Brinovak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I turned off VZW location services and Standalone GPS services and left on Google location services. I then powered the phone off then back on. I checked the location settings to ensure they stayed the same, which they did. I then took a picture and it was geotagged. With my exact address even. I then opened Navigation and it asked me if I wanted to turn on the GPS. I did not compare coordinates with Navigation because my photo was tagged with my correct address.

So then I turned off ALL location services again, and took a photo. Low and behold, Location: Unknown.

Which is weird because I did that the other day and it still tagged my photo. Anyway, at least I can turn it off now. Although I wish you could do that WITHOUT turning off location services.

Oh well.

I appreciate your help on this, guys. :smileyhappy:

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Smokie11
Contributor - Level 1

Are you certain your Froyo pictures are Geotagged? I do not leave my Standalone GPS on all the time, I do leave Google location on all the time, I have taken many pictures after Froyo and have checked the details on every picture, results are:

Location  : Unknown

Latitude:    Unknown

Longitude: Unknown

To answer your question, if you TURN ON Stand Alone GPS and it locks in on your location your picture IS Geotagged, if you leave Stand Alone GPS turned off, your picture is not Geotagged, I hope this helps.:smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Brinovak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I am positive. I just tried turning off the Standalone GPS function and took a picture and that one was geotagged as well. In fact, I turned off ALL location services and took a picture and it too was geotagged.

0 Likes
DonM
Contributor - Level 2

I was unable to recreate the problem. First I took a photo with location services turned on and the photo was geotagged, when I turned all location services off the photos I took were not geotagged. there may be some sort of issue with your phone.

0 Likes
Smokie11
Contributor - Level 1

I keep google location services on all the time, my pictures are not geotagged unless the actual GPS hardware is on and locked in. Try this: take a picture, confirm in details it is indeed tagged and turn on navigation and see if it locks in on your location instantly, if your GPS was on it will not ask if you wanted on, if it ask for permission and it does not lock instantly on your location then I would wait until your GPS locks and compare coordinates from Nav. App to the info on your geotagged picture. Your tagged pictures may have bogus location on it.

PS: To compare coordinates download GPS Test from the market and it will give you lat & long to compare to the info on your picture details.

0 Likes
Brinovak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I turned off VZW location services and Standalone GPS services and left on Google location services. I then powered the phone off then back on. I checked the location settings to ensure they stayed the same, which they did. I then took a picture and it was geotagged. With my exact address even. I then opened Navigation and it asked me if I wanted to turn on the GPS. I did not compare coordinates with Navigation because my photo was tagged with my correct address.

So then I turned off ALL location services again, and took a photo. Low and behold, Location: Unknown.

Which is weird because I did that the other day and it still tagged my photo. Anyway, at least I can turn it off now. Although I wish you could do that WITHOUT turning off location services.

Oh well.

I appreciate your help on this, guys. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes