Does Full Refund Include Cancellation of 2-yr Commitment?
_BrianZ
Contributor - Level 1

Since a Note7 can still be returned for a "full refund", can you confirm that would include cancellation of a 2-yr commitment which may have been part of the purchase deal?  If so, this would allow some of us to move to a different carrier who offers more of a stock Samsung phone without the crippled Settings menu, and maybe less bloatware & malware.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does Full Refund Include Cancellation of 2-yr Commitment?
ericw_vzw
Verizon Employee

Thanks for reaching out to the forums for support. We appreciate you using the resource. We know the Note 7 recall has been a serious inconvenience to many customers, and we'll definitely do all we can to make the process go as smoothly as possible for anyone needing an exchange. The answer to your initial question is yes. When you do a return, your new commitment is removed and your commitment status returns to where it was before your upgrade. If you had no contract at that time, you would return to having no contract. If you had time left on a prior contract, that end-date would be reinstated, etc.

SmartSwitch is great software, and I'm glad you're aware of how to use the app. You can also use the software to make a full backup of your phone on your computer that you could later recover to the new device. You can see information about this and download the PC or Mac client here: Smart Switch | Samsung LEVANT This would allow you to still do an in-store exchange, but move your data without the assistance of any employee since you mentioned that was a concern. You may also just have the replacement shipped to you first as you mentioned and send back the other phone after you've received the new one.

We've made these devices available one day early, so you can order an exchange now to have it shipped to you. Let us know if you have any additional questions.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
christopherm_vzw
Verizon Employee

Hello _BrianZ,

We are proud to be your wireless carrier and would be devastated to see you leave our family. What specific concerns are you having with the settings menu that you want to leave us?

ChristopherM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
_BrianZ
Contributor - Level 1

Well, it's not just the menu, but Samsung's entire menu was replaced with an inferior one that is missing multiple useful features, including Samsung's built-in cloud backup utility with 15gb free storage.  Obviously, Verizon went out of their way to remove it, so you could sell your own cloud storage add-on service (because it only offers a useless 5gb), instead of letting customers have access to Samsung's service, which would have been a huge help during this recall exchange. 

And to make matters worse, it appears you are forcing customers to visit a Verizon store to exchange phones, without the benefit of having both phones for a period of time to do the migration at their leisure. This would allow customers to cable phones together using Samsung's Smart Switch app when there is more time to ensure that important user data can be exported from apps on the old phone & transferred & imported into the new one.

I EXPECT VERIZON TO SHIP ME A NEW PHONE (LIKE YOU DID WHEN I ORDERED THE FIRST ONE VIA A PHONE CALL), AND LET ME EITHER SHIP THE RECALLED ONE BACK WITHIN 14 DAYS, OR RETURN IT TO A STORE.  I don't want my private data being exported from my current Note7 by a Verizon employee.

About the settings menu, Verizon changed & removed so much that it doesn't look anything like the original.  See here for a more extensive description of what Verizon has done...

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/08/22/verizons-galaxy-note-7-another-example-carriers-interfering-no-...

Also, Verizon installed the "DT Ignite" malware to load unwanted apps for your own profit, and it's impossible to remove.

All of the above makes me want to find a better version of the Note7 from a carrier who demonstrates more concern for their customers.  Actions do speak louder than words.

ericw_vzw
Verizon Employee

Thanks for reaching out to the forums for support. We appreciate you using the resource. We know the Note 7 recall has been a serious inconvenience to many customers, and we'll definitely do all we can to make the process go as smoothly as possible for anyone needing an exchange. The answer to your initial question is yes. When you do a return, your new commitment is removed and your commitment status returns to where it was before your upgrade. If you had no contract at that time, you would return to having no contract. If you had time left on a prior contract, that end-date would be reinstated, etc.

SmartSwitch is great software, and I'm glad you're aware of how to use the app. You can also use the software to make a full backup of your phone on your computer that you could later recover to the new device. You can see information about this and download the PC or Mac client here: Smart Switch | Samsung LEVANT This would allow you to still do an in-store exchange, but move your data without the assistance of any employee since you mentioned that was a concern. You may also just have the replacement shipped to you first as you mentioned and send back the other phone after you've received the new one.

We've made these devices available one day early, so you can order an exchange now to have it shipped to you. Let us know if you have any additional questions.

0 Likes
bbrown450
Enthusiast - Level 2

there is another "class" of VZW customers that are still awaiting to be "made whole" thru this process. I purchased my N7 thru a non corporate Mall store (long story I thought they were a real VZW place). I travel a lot for work, so every time I bring my N7 out it was not popular on airplanes. I had to trade this thing in for something, so I got an S7 edge. I WANT MY N7 BACK!!.

Will I be able to take my S7 to my VZW (corporate) store for ANOTHER exchange ?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Since your original purchase was not made at a Verizon store, I assume the exchange was also made at the same store you made the original purchase? If so, it is unlikely you would be able to exchange that S7 Edge at a Verizon store. If you purchased and exchanged at the same store, you will most likely have to inquire at that store about returning the S7 Edge for a Note 7.

0 Likes
_BrianZ
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for the actual answer to my question.  I appreciate that.  I did call Verizon a couple hours ago to ask about shipping a new phone, and they too confirmed it was possible, along with returning the old one via the included return shipping label, so that was great to hear.  He said I'd have to call back tomorrow when phones become available.  Unfortunately, I have to go out of town in the morning, so will have to postpone shipping for a couple more days anyway.

0 Likes
bbrown450
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was hoping to get a Verizon sanctioned response, but thanks for your suggestion. In my mind it really should not matter "where" i purchased the pone as long as it was at an authorized VZW dealer. I would hope that I will be allowed the same exchange options as those that purchased theirs at a VZW corp. store. The challenge is NO TWO STORES GIVE THE SAME ANSWER !!

shameful way to treat customers imo...all you have to do is read on here for 10 min to see the confusion involved with this mess...

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

BrianZ once you get your new phone you can go in to application manager hit the little dots in the right hand corner  tap show system apps go down to DT Ignite and disable it that will at least take care of that.

0 Likes
Gabbo
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Samsung Smart Switch mobile app is not compatible with the Note 7. Thanks for the recommendation Verizon.

You guys are a joke.

0 Likes