Does verizon galaxy nexus have country lock?
viiruts

I am trying to use it in Korea via a local carrier.

I have gone through all the tests and passed which means it can be used in Korea, technically.

A representative of this local carrier said it can be used once the country lock is removed and I must call verizon to remove it.

I couldn't call because i am outside U.S. but had a chat with verizon's representative, telling me she doesn't have any information about galaxy nexus's country lock code. She also said this device might not have country lock, but she was not sure about it. She wanted me to call global service office to make sure, however, I cannot make a phone call here.

A local carrier's representative said many of devices from U.S. have country lock, but not all of them.

He was not 100% sure since this device is from U.S.  but he thought galaxy nexus does not have a country lock.

Many people are telling me it doesn't have country lock, but I just want to make sure.

And, if the country lock does not exist in this device, or if I unlock it, would it be possible not only to use CDMA but LTE also?

CDMA only refers to voice/sms but no 3G network right?

if neither 3G nor 4G is available, I would just have to buy a new device for this country...

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Does verizon galaxy nexus have country lock?
Tidbits
Legend

LTE is a no go.  2G/3G is a go.

The Galaxy Nexus support CDMA(2G), EVDO(3G), LTE(4G).  All the CDMA carriers in Korea SHOULD support 2G, and 3G as they use the same frequencies.  The 4G in Korea uses different frequencies so 4G is out of the question.

As far as a lock.  The only way to get it "unlock" is to call Verizon and be in good standing.

0 Likes
viiruts

So without removing country lock, I can still use 2G and 3G?

4G is not necessary for me. 3G is enough.

One of the reps of this local carrier told me there is no problem with voice/sms services however I might not be able to use data. Does this mean I cannot use 4G but can use 3G?

Do I join this carrier as 3G user or 4G user?

Seems like this device does not have a sim card slot for 3G.

So complecated... should I just buy a new one for this country?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

No you need the unlock from Verizon. That is the only way it will work in Korea. However you will get Voice, text, and 3G data, but no 4G

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Sim card has nothing to do with 3G. EVDO doesn't use sim cards and Korean CDMA carriers support EVDO(CDMA version of 3G).

0 Likes
AdengE

I hope you already got it worked out.

Me=Same situation.

For 4G like Galaxy Nexus, country unlock is not necessary: just switch USIM in Korea.

But for 3G phones, country unlock is necessary.

Just Confirmed with Customer Rep. at Verizon.

0 Likes
hokim71

Did you get your phone to work in Korea?  Just arrived here and same situation for me.  Don't need 4G LTE and just need 3G for emails, text and phone.  Would love to continue to use my Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there hokim71!

Happy travels to you. I hope all is well in Korea. And you raise a good question here about utilizing your device which I'm happy to expand on.

Truth is, we've got a great interactive trip planner that I'm happy to share with you http://vz.to/n9PFe9 . From there, you can learn more about using your device as well as how to sign up for global services. I hope this helps!

EvanO_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes