Don't buy Fascinate if you need email
MeadowSage

It's got no reliability for email, takes hours if not days to download e-mail from charter.net (altough based on other forums, etc.) it's not just charter. POP3/SMTP

Please save yourself the headache and don't buy it.

Charter says call Verizon.  Still waiting to make contact with me although they have left me a message.)

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Don't buy Fascinate if you need email
papa_leo
Contributor - Level 1

The Gmail on that phone works flawless. Emails are being delivered to the phone faster than they appear otherwise on my laptop.

About Yahoo mail that I am using, previously I was having issues with using stock email application. I downloaded Yahoo Mail for Android from the market (v 1.0.2) and it worked somewhat ok. The latest version (v 1.2.0) that I downloaded two days ago is working perfectly.

In general, anyone who wants reliable email phone should look at Blackberry but even that one isn't perfect as RIM once in awhile is having issues with its mail servers and email wouldn't be delivered to hours and once even for entire day.

So pick what works for you...slow internet, outdated OS, and reliable email on BB or good looking OS, fast internet speed, and somewhat reliable email services of Fascinate.

0 Likes
Papa Leo...
MeadowSage

How do i switch over to GMail, since all my email is going to the charter outlook account? I"ve always had a charter account as my primary email...

IN other words, do i have to close this account and recontact everybody who has the charter address to let them know I have a new email address?

At the point I would use Gmail but don't know how to do it...

Can you or anybody help?

Thanks,

Meadow 

0 Likes
Re: Papa Leo...
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

you can forward your charter account to a gmail account, i do this to consolidate my several email accounts.

the spam filtering is much better in gmail, it catches the things that slip by other places

plus if for some reason you get rid of charter the gmail account will always be there

0 Likes
GMail
Pfredd

You can also have GMail automatically pull POP e-mail from your other e-mail accounts...

0 Likes
Re: GMail
moates
Contributor - Level 3

Here are some things you can try:

Mail Type: POP

Incoming Mail Server: mail.charterinternet.com

Username: myusername@charter.net (first part of your email address DO NOT omit the @charter.net)

Password: whatever the password is to access the charter email account

Port: 110

Encryption: None

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.charterinternet.com

Authentication: ON

Username: myusername@charter.net (first part of your email address DO NOT omit the @charter.net)

Port: 25

Encryption: none"

0 Likes
Re: GMail
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

moates wrote:

Here are some things you can try:

Mail Type: POP

Incoming Mail Server: mail.charterinternet.com

Encryption: None

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.charterinternet.com

Authentication: ON

Encryption: none"

per chater website the info is

POP3

Incoming Email Server: pop.charter.net
Outgoing Email Server: smtp.charter.net
Server Type: POP3 Server
Web Mail Address: http://www.charter.net

Ports

Incoming: 110
Outgoing: 25

0 Likes
luvmyfascinate

I have found the same problem as I see many others having with sending work  emails from my phone. I receive them fine, but can't send them. I did try having them come in and out through gmail, but when all my work emails disappeared from the corporate server and went to my email inbox- I had a problem. I can't access gmail from my work computer, and lots of times I need my old emails for an email address or phone number. So- what I have found works for me is to simply reply to a work message if I need to by sending it through gmail, there is an option to send it from whichever email acount you want if you're "replying" to one. One of the main reasons I got my phone was because I'm on the road constantly and I need to be able to get my emails. So I do get them, and if I HAVE to reply immediately, I send reply through gmail or windstream. Most peoply will just hit reply if they want to, and I still get the email, so it works for me. I went to the VERIZON store and the reps were having the same problems with their phones, so I guess if there was a way to fix it, they'd know. One guy did say eventually there would be a "patch" to fix it, but until then- I love my phone far too much to give it up, so if your having the same problem here's one solution.

0 Likes
Baradanikto

I recently upgraded to a Samsung Fascinate, and, like everyone else that has come here looking for answers, I had many problems with setting up the email on my phone to work correctly on my phone AND pc.  Today, after reading posts on Charter, Verizon, and the Droid forums, I've found what appears to work correctly for the Fascinate.  I don't know if it will work for all Droid phones, but here's what I used...

Incoming Server Settings

Username: user email name (without the '@charter.net')

Password: account password

POP3 Server: pop.charter.net

Security type: None

Outgoing Server Settings

SMTP server: smtp.charterinternet.com

Security type: None

Require sign-in: checked

Username: username@charter.net

Password: account password

With the above settings, I am able to send and receive from my phone AND my pc without any error messages.  I think the whole key to it is making sure not to use IMAP as the protocol on your phone.  The IMAP protocol is intended to improve performance by leaving the email user logged onto the email account.  This will cause a problem when another device (pc) wants to get email.

I tried using the other settings suggested in the various forum posts.  These seem to work for me.  I hope it helps someone else.

0 Likes
white1621

I've used Gmail since it was released by Google. And in my opinion, like all of Google's products and services, it works flawlessly on my Fascinate. I would suggest using Gmail and droping Charter mail. Go to the Gmail homepage and sign up then forward all your mail through it. Set Gmail as your default mail client on the fascinate and simply enjoy how well it works. You can't go wrong then.:smileywink:

0 Likes