Dropped calls on Galaxy Nexus
gardncw
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm sure there is already a discussion on this - just felt like piling it on.  Getting too many dropped calls on this phone.

Re: Dropped calls on Galaxy Nexus
pdinsd
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yep...same here!! Not happy about it at all!!

spaceboyusa

New to the Nexus as of 48 hours ago but so far, any call that goes say 16 minutes or more, I drop.  Not sure if being in the mountains of Colorado has anything to do with it but it seems strange that for 16 minutes all is good and then BAM...I get the "Hello?  Where'd you go?  I lost you..." type of response from the person on the other end.

What are people doing?  Returning the hardware and trying a new phone?

0 Likes
lansing
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am dropping calls, too..and I know it's not a fluke.

My calls used to go without interruption on drives home (30 minutes).  Now, I drop calls frequently on the drive to and from home.  Not a coincidence.

When I pickup the phone and want to do a search or use data, I get a message saying no network connection found.  This never used to happen with my 3G phone!

I like the 4G speed, but getting connected and staying connected is an issue. 

What's the resolution?  Is this something Verizon will fix (and I am not talking about monkeying around with the #bars displayed just to make it appear that there's a stronger singnal).

Do Verizon moderators comment?

Tidbits
Legend

The only way to fix the problems is time...  Building a nationwide network isn't easy to do especially at the speeds Verizon is trying to build them.  This is the same problem AT&T had when they put up 3G quickly.  If you honestly can't deal with the growing pains your best option would be to drop down to a 3G device and wait until Verizon gets rid of the kinks.

Before anyone calls me a shill or whatever for Verizon Smiley Happy

1. Sprint 4G network is a piggy back off of Clearwire which was established.  So most of the kinks were gone LONG before Sprint offered 4G.  Now they are moving to LTE and trying to piggy back off of Lightsquared.

2.  AT&T and T-Mobile uses 3G advertises as 4G.  AT&T is now rolling out 4G, but in a few places.  T-Mobile is going to dwindle down even more as they don't have the funds to compete to bring true 4G.

3. I may have been with Verizon for 14 years(add 3 more if you count the carrier they acquired here).  I also have AT&T, and T-Mobile services.  Sprint I dropped me like a bad habit after they dropped me due to "Domestic Roaming" abuse...  I was promised in writing they were building a tower less than 1/2 a mile from my house in under 6 months.  They terminated my contract without ETF.  Since then never had their service.  I am no fan of any carrier as you can see.  I use them all pretty much.  Here in Hawaii though I can go pretty much ANYWHERE and have service.  AT&T does a pretty good job...  Sprint and T-Mobile kinda suck, but my often place of travel they fair well.

0 Likes
mears
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issues with dropped calls.  For me, it due to completely losing both voice/data connectivity.  I have discovered that if I disable 4G, the phone is fine.  However, I paid extra for 4G, so that's not a viable solution.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You don't pay extra for 4G. There is no price difference between the networks...

0 Likes
mears
Enthusiast - Level 1

You pay an extra $100 for the device. There's a reason the iphone 4s is $199 and recent 4G LTE super phones enter at $299.

rcschnoor
Legend

mears wrote:

You pay an extra $100 for the device.  There's a reason the iphone 4s is $199 and recent 4G LTE super phones enter at $299.

Well, it is NOT because they are 4G. It has more to do with memory.

You say that the iPhone 4S is $199. You are PARTIALLY correct. The 16 GB iPhone 4S is $199. The 32 GB iPhone 4S is $299, the same price as the 32 GB  Galaxy Nexus and the 64 GB iPhone 4S is $399. There are no "4G LTE super phones" at that price because there are none which come with 64GB. On most Android phones, you can go out and upgrade to a 64 GB micro SD card and put the total price of one of the LTE phones closer to $399, though.

lansing
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update...

I reported my dropped calls to Verizon tech support.  They had me speak to their network guys who opened a couple tickets.  I am being asked to send in 'tags' (### send) when calls are dropped.  Supposedly they'll analyze thoroughly including times, longitude/latitude, etc. and report back.

Has any one else done this?  I'm hoping for good results.

OH and one other thing...it seems my phone often reboots when calls are dropped.  Not sure what that means.

Any one else??

0 Likes