Email Auto Sync and Security
fantazia57

How likely is it for someone to hack my phone and access my email that is auto sync-ed (like..gmail.?)

this is my first time using the smart phone and i didn't feel comfortable keeping my gmail sync on, but i feel **bleep** for not using this feature on a smart phone.

Does it make difference on the security if i just use bookmark to log in and out of my gmail  vs. auto-sync? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Email Auto Sync and Security
Cummins
Enthusiast - Level 3

I deal with IT security on a daily basis, so being that I'm a bit more paranoid than most.

Not having auto sync on is just a disfavor to you and the phone, turn it on and use it.

Security is give and take, you need to have enough to do what you need, yet you still need to be proactive and knowing whats best practice.  Someone forcefully brute force password cracking is more likely to occur online, not thru a phone.

With that in mind do the following will keep you safe

- never give out your passwords to any app regardless if it looks 'real'.  3rd party apps that access your real accts like gmail,fb etc.  typically phishing techniques   never have the same passwords for everything.

- verify each app you install, make sure its legit

- use complex and long password,  chars, numbers, and special char. and a few as caps, never use solid words.

- lock that phone, puzzle or match the buttons,  when physical access is granted its a real threat.

- use antivirus and malware protection, i'm using lookout

- change passwords like every 90 days

- look down your privacy and facebook/social media/gmail settings,  never publish your dob, city, family, pets name,  location status in present tense.  social media is a real threat to security as most don't realize just how much there "life" is public knowledge. remove those friends that you really aren't friends with. most passwords are known to be tied to family, pets, hobbies, your personal life.

- keep your phone and software up to date, windows update, samsung updates etc.  people find holes, software makers fix the exploit, your safe until the next one.

So in reality, can my phone be compromised, maybe yes, but only if you never follow any of these rules, and leave your phone wide open for everyone to see.   Honestly  will someone take the time to get to you, most likely not, they will move on to the next person, thats alot easier.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Cummins
Enthusiast - Level 3

I deal with IT security on a daily basis, so being that I'm a bit more paranoid than most.

Not having auto sync on is just a disfavor to you and the phone, turn it on and use it.

Security is give and take, you need to have enough to do what you need, yet you still need to be proactive and knowing whats best practice.  Someone forcefully brute force password cracking is more likely to occur online, not thru a phone.

With that in mind do the following will keep you safe

- never give out your passwords to any app regardless if it looks 'real'.  3rd party apps that access your real accts like gmail,fb etc.  typically phishing techniques   never have the same passwords for everything.

- verify each app you install, make sure its legit

- use complex and long password,  chars, numbers, and special char. and a few as caps, never use solid words.

- lock that phone, puzzle or match the buttons,  when physical access is granted its a real threat.

- use antivirus and malware protection, i'm using lookout

- change passwords like every 90 days

- look down your privacy and facebook/social media/gmail settings,  never publish your dob, city, family, pets name,  location status in present tense.  social media is a real threat to security as most don't realize just how much there "life" is public knowledge. remove those friends that you really aren't friends with. most passwords are known to be tied to family, pets, hobbies, your personal life.

- keep your phone and software up to date, windows update, samsung updates etc.  people find holes, software makers fix the exploit, your safe until the next one.

So in reality, can my phone be compromised, maybe yes, but only if you never follow any of these rules, and leave your phone wide open for everyone to see.   Honestly  will someone take the time to get to you, most likely not, they will move on to the next person, thats alot easier.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
fantazia57

thanks a lot for your comments~!

i am putting my gmail back on while i will watch out for things you've mentioned.

0 Likes