Email and Contact Issues
arolling
Enthusiast - Level 1

My emails are not coming through to my phone unless I manually refresh. I have three accounts setup (Yahoo! and 2 school email accounts). Both school accounts, when I sign on from a computer says something about Outlook: one says Mircosoft outlook and the other says Outlook live.

I contacted my school and got the correct settings for each account. They work because I get the emails as long as I manually refresh. I initially had my phone set to check for mail every hour but after realizing it was not automatically doing this, I set it for every five minutes. That still didn't help.

Out of frustration, I called Verizon who told me they knew nothing about such an issue. They connected me to Samsung who said the same thing. Apparently they were both lying as I have Googled this issue and see that it has been posted since Sept 2010. I just have not noticed a solution (possibly overlooking it).

The solution that they gave me was so a hard reset (didn't work), delete then re-add the accounts (didn't work) or use a workaround. My response to their last suggestion was that I did not feel it was necessary for me to do that when the phone I purchased was supposed to handle email. This has been an issue since I got the phone in Nov 2010 when I switched to VZ. I didn't really notice it until this month because I was having text messaging issues which they didn't fix until this month.

Samsung ended up telling me to send them my phone and they would troubleshoot it but I had to contact VZ about getting a loaner phone as they were going to have it for a week. When I called VZ back, they told me they would just send me a replacement phone and to not send the phone to Samsung because they could have given me a defective phone. The order wasn't placed because their system was down that Friday and the guy was supposed to call me back. He never did so I called VZ a third time.

The tech support rep told me that she was positive that if I got a brand new phone I would still have the same problem because its a known issue that Samsung has yet to fix. Also she had the same phone and also some other people she worked with. She told me to make sure I deleted junk mail, sent stuff, kept the inbox down, and empty the trash and that should help. She was supposed to call me back and see if it helped (which it didn't). She never called back....that was Monday and today is Friday.

Now I'm feeling like they are lying to me because they don't want to replace my device. Then on top of that they told me it would more than likely be a refurbished device instead of a brand new device even though I still have a warranty. Should I push for a new phone or is this really a known issue with Samsung that they have yet to fix? If it is a Samsung issue, what's the workaround until they actually fix it?

By the way, Gmail works almost instantaneously. They told me to forward all of my mail there but that didn't work for my two school accounts. I don't like that anyway.

As for the contact issues, I just noticed two weeks ago that my Facebook and Twitter contacts are unsyncing themselves. I don't have all of my Facebook friends or Twitter followers in my phonebook but those whose phone numbers I have, are linked to their Facebook and or Twitter accounts but I notice that both of these accounts unlink themselves. I have no idea why this happens. I keep having to go back into my phonebook and relink about 30 people to their Facebook and or Twitter profiles. Any idea why?

0 Likes
Re: Email and Contact Issues
10sEn
Contributor - Level 3

In your email app, have you tried going into each account, pressing the menu button, account settings, and setting email check frequency to the desired time?

If that's not the issue, then perhaps pressing the menu button at the home screen, going into settings, accounts and sync, and clicking the background data option is the issue.

The reason why Gmail works well is that instead of polling (which is what the email app uses, where it queries the account to see if there's anything new), it pushes your email through meaning that it's virtually instantaneous.

With regards to the Twitter and Facebook issue, try going into the accounts and sync area that I mentioned before.  There, you will be able to set the SNS sync interval and sync the contacts, birthdays, and whatever else it allows.  You'll probably have to click on each of those accounts to check various options before it will autosync.

0 Likes
MaxBuck
Contributor - Level 1

Native email application on all Android phones is pretty weak.  Try K-9 Mail, available free in the App Market.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

^ and make sure you are NOT using a task killer

0 Likes
arolling
Enthusiast - Level 1

PJNC284 wrote:

^ and make sure you are NOT using a task killer

I was but they told me to delete it before the hard reset. Still didn't help.

0 Likes
arolling
Enthusiast - Level 1

MaxBuck wrote:

Native email application on all Android phones is pretty weak.  Try K-9 Mail, available free in the App Market.

I tried the K9 app after speaking with a rep yesterday but it didn't work well for me. I'm not using Maildroid which is better. I'm shocked how badly the stock email client is because I just came from a Motorola Cliq that synced email almost instantly.

0 Likes
arolling
Enthusiast - Level 1

10sEn wrote:

In your email app, have you tried going into each account, pressing the menu button, account settings, and setting email check frequency to the desired time?

If that's not the issue, then perhaps pressing the menu button at the home screen, going into settings, accounts and sync, and clicking the background data option is the issue.

The reason why Gmail works well is that instead of polling (which is what the email app uses, where it queries the account to see if there's anything new), it pushes your email through meaning that it's virtually instantaneous.

With regards to the Twitter and Facebook issue, try going into the accounts and sync area that I mentioned before.  There, you will be able to set the SNS sync interval and sync the contacts, birthdays, and whatever else it allows.  You'll probably have to click on each of those accounts to check various options before it will autosync.

0 Likes