FASCINATE-ANDROID YELLOW SCREEN OF DEATH?
JIMD4
Enthusiast - Level 3

My Fascinate seems to work perfectly with both 2.1 and now 2.2 except for one anamoly. On two occasions when i looked at the phone all of a sudden it had a black screen with yellow Android men working triangle symbol and words "Downloading....." and "Do not power off target".

After waiitng a good 30 minutes each time, I powered the phone down and on again and it worked fine.In both cases the battery was no where near low.

Anyone know what this is all about?

0 Likes
Re: FASCINATE-ANDROID YELLOW SCREEN OF DEATH?
Tidbits
Legend

Try doing a factory reset.  Then installing the update again.

0 Likes
randallg

I'm amazed at the number of "solutions" to any phone problem is "do a factory reset".  I would definitely make that your LAST option..I would see if you get any viable answers/help from the forum...if not, and you're close to a Verizon store when it happens, head straight there and let a "tech" personally see the problem.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

randallg wrote:

I'm amazed at the number of "solutions" to any phone problem is "do a factory reset".  I would definitely make that your LAST option..I would see if you get any viable answers/help from the forum...if not, and you're close to a Verizon store when it happens, head straight there and let a "tech" personally see the problem.

I am amazed at the people who never try it.  It's been a known cache issue with Android.  Corrupted cache causes problems.  This is the reason why the root community recommends a full wipe prior to installing roms.

You lose very little when doing a factory reset and if there is data you need it's backup up on Googles servers unless you specifically tell your device not to back it up.  There's apps out there that'll let you backup your texts on the SD card.

So before you say " I am amazed." One reason why it's rarely a solution as most people say they do, but don't do it.  His problem is more likely a caching problem as it's not deleting completely, and at times it catches "I am being updated" as that screen he is indicating would be.

If he takes it in more than likely they'll do a factory restore to make sure it's not a software problem.  If problem persist then it might be a memory problem.  If it goes away it was bad cache.  If it was completely a coding problem than all Fascinates would have this problem.

0 Likes
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3
0 Likes
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3

Tidbits wrote:

randallg wrote:

I am amazed at the people who never try it.  It's been a known cache issue with Android.  Corrupted cache causes problems.  This is the reason why the root community recommends a full wipe prior to installing roms.

You lose very little when doing a factory reset and if there is data you need it's backup up on Googles servers unless you specifically tell your device not to back it up.  There's apps out there that'll let you backup your texts on the SD card.

So before you say " I am amazed." One reason why it's rarely a solution as most people say they do, but don't do it.  His problem is more likely a caching problem as it's not deleting completely, and at times it catches "I am being updated" as that screen he is indicating would be.

If he takes it in more than likely they'll do a factory restore to make sure it's not a software problem.  If problem persist then it might be a memory problem.  If it goes away it was bad cache.  If it was completely a coding problem than all Fascinates would have this problem.

Try this, remove the battery, hold down the vol. up button for 10 seconds, wait about 2 minutes before replacing the battery, then power back up and see if that helps
0 Likes