FM Chip Disabled on Note 10 Plus
KUHawksR1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know Verizon policy is to no longer disable the FM Chips inside phones that have them however I think they missed enabling it on the Note 10 Plus.  I am not able to get into NextRadio because of errors that reads in part, "NextRadio doesn't have access to the FM radio receiver in your device."   

Labels (1)
32 Replies
Rickinsav
Newbie

I am interested in this too as I use Next Radio almost every weekend.  Just wish they'd put in Bluetooth as an output option.

0 Likes
Reply
NancyTM1
Newbie

Bluetooth is certainly included in every Samsung smartphone. Iam listening to a Note 10 plus on a bluetooth headset right now.

0 Likes
Reply
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@NancyTM1 wrote:

Bluetooth is certainly included in every Samsung smartphone. Iam listening to a Note 10 plus on a bluetooth headset right now.


You are also streaming through your data connection and not a FM antenna. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Reply
KUHawksR1
Enthusiast - Level 2

VZ Tier 2 tech confirmed chip is there and blocked by VZ network. Surprised him as well considering policy changed quite a while back to no longer block it. Told me he would escalate .. but I'm not holding my breath.

bearone21
Legend

20+ years with gte/verizon & i can't recall any verizon phone with fm capability.

0 Likes
Reply
bjb1976
Enthusiast - Level 1

Every galaxy I have had has the FM radio capacity,  and I've used it.  

0 Likes
Reply
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bjb1976

 

I would guess all of those Galaxy phones you had also had the headphone jack too. If so, the Galaxy Note 10 plus doesn't have the headphone jack therefore it doesn't have the ability to use the headphones as an antenna and no FM chip. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Reply
Livinvivin
Newbie

Note 9 definitely had it

0 Likes
Reply
JimNonurbiz
Enthusiast - Level 1

two years listening to FM on my verizon Galaxy J3 V

changed to Verizon Prepaid last month and the update disabled the FM

0 Likes
Reply
rcwetzel
Newbie

I bought a note 8 thru verizon and I have HAD that capability. Sorry you are not up on the technical aspect of this.

0 Likes
Reply
javasmith
Newbie

It worked fine on my Samsung Note 8 from Verizon using the NextRadio app. 

0 Likes
Reply
mama23dogs
Legend

@javasmith wrote:

It worked fine on my Samsung Note 8 from Verizon using the NextRadio app. 


The note 8 and 9 still had a 3.5 mm headphone jack.  

The Note 10 does not.  

0 Likes
Reply
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@javasmith wrote:

It worked fine on my Samsung Note 8 from Verizon using the NextRadio app. 


Were you using wired headphones at the time? 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

mama23dogs
Legend

In order for FM radio to work, there has to be a headphone jack as it acts as the antenna.   

Samsung has removed the 3.5 headphone jack, so an active FM chip is superfluous, so Samsung didn’t include it.  

 

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mama23dogs wrote:

In order for FM radio to work, there has to be a headphone jack as it acts as the antenna.   

Samsung has removed the 3.5 headphone jack, so an active FM chip is superfluous, so Samsung didn’t include it.  

 


That would be a good reason why it doesn't work. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Reply
Janiz1998
Enthusiast - Level 1

According to nextradio, as long as the headphones are wired, they can work as an antenna. I'm interested in this too. I went to use Next Radio this weekend and was shocked it didn't work. I haven't had this issue and I have updated to almost every Note for the past several years. I hope they fix it! I also have an unlocked one, so I don't know if Verizon can fix it for me.

0 Likes
Reply
mama23dogs
Legend

@Janiz1998 wrote:

According to nextradio, as long as the headphones are wired, they can work as an antenna. I'm interested in this too. I went to use Next Radio this weekend and was shocked it didn't work. I haven't had this issue and I have updated to almost every Note for the past several years. I hope they fix it! I also have an unlocked one, so I don't know if Verizon can fix it for me.


In order to ‘fix’ it has to be ‘broken’.   It’s not.  The lack of a 3.5 heandphone jack spells the end of FM radio.  

0 Likes
Reply
aleleeinn
Enthusiast - Level 1

What you are saying makes no sense.  The The WIRE FOR THE HEADPHONES ACTS AS THE ANTENNA. THE JACK IS NOT THE ISSUE.  And the NEXTRADIO doesn't say it can't pick up a signal. IT SAYS CHIP IS DIEABLED.

0 Likes
Reply
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mama23dogs wrote:

@Janiz1998 wrote:

According to nextradio, as long as the headphones are wired, they can work as an antenna. I'm interested in this too. I went to use Next Radio this weekend and was shocked it didn't work. I haven't had this issue and I have updated to almost every Note for the past several years. I hope they fix it! I also have an unlocked one, so I don't know if Verizon can fix it for me.


In order to ‘fix’ it has to be ‘broken’.   It’s not.  The lack of a 3.5 heandphone jack spells the end of FM radio.  


Unless a USB C wired headphones will work and act as the antenna. I don't think the OP or anyone else mentioned using such when they attempted to access the FM radio. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Reply
aleleeinn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is SAMSUNG really that stupid.  They put in a chip that they know (OR SHOULD KNOW) can't work. and they get I wrong across a bunch of models. 

I have read that the radio worked BEFORE ONE UI 3.x.  COuld it be Verizon turned it off. NO MATTER what the policy said.  Could it be they want to sell more unlimited plans. The responses from the people who should know better are nonsense.

0 Likes
Reply