FROYO Pros and Cons
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

For those who are running FROYO let's have a pros and cons thread so some of the others who are on the fence about running it will get a little more info.  And PLEASE don't include any links,instructions,etc. and hopefully the VZW folks will allow it to stay as an informative thread only.

Pros: 

Little more responsive

Flash 10.1

Choice of unlock screens, pin,password,or current ones.

Google Search is back (still includes Bing as well).

Cons:

Battery life not as good as 2.1 (on my device anyway).

Warranty may be voided, not official VZW yet.

Can't get it over the air, which I personally don't care for anyway. Have had a couple bad experiences with OTA in the past.

These are a few I can think of at the moment.

0 Likes
Re: FROYO Pros and Cons
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3
I need the Flash for several websites that are not currently available under 2.1. With Froyo, you allowed to install the apps you d/l on your SD card; several apps on the market require 2.2 before you can d/l them and more developers are updating their software so that will eventually need 2.2 to take advantage of them
0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

nickjr wrote:
I need the Flash for several websites that are not currently available under 2.1. With Froyo, you allowed to install the apps you d/l on your SD card; several apps on the market require 2.2 before you can d/l them and more developers are updating their software so that will eventually need 2.2 to take advantage of them

really, when is this an issue? who on earth has over 1.5GB in apps on their phone?

some people have a hard time remembering this isn't a laptop, it's a phone. and, for a phone, it does marvelous things, all really quickly.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

yeah, neither flash nor apps2sd are a big deal for me.  I have Flash set to on-demand and rarely use it since I don't really watch anything in the browser and even if I do, I'll just use skyfire.  As for apps2sd, I have 64 apps and still have 1.25GB of internal storage with no apps on the sd card. Granted I don't have any large games and the biggest app is Flash 10.1 at 7.5MB 

0 Likes
gsp10
People Have that much used on ipods and iphone used up so in pretty sure you can fill up an android pretty fast to
0 Likes
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3
How did you get Flash 10.1 installed? Iam not able to d/l due to the 2.2 restrictions
0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

gsp10 wrote:
People Have that much used on ipods and iphone used up so in pretty sure you can fill up an android pretty fast to

That's because apple only gives you one storage area so all of your apps, music, videos, etc are there.  On Android, most of the memory heavy content will be on the sd card and not the internal storage.  I could see the internal storage filling up if you have NFS Shift, Madden and a bunch of other games of that size but then you most likely just have your phone filled up with a bunch of crud that you never use.  

nickjr wrote:
How did you get Flash 10.1 installed? Iam not able to d/l due to the 2.2 restrictions

I cheated.

0 Likes
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3
Can you post the tip....I really could use it.. and been sort of happy to have Flash on my phone Thanks
0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

nickjr wrote:

it just installed right from the market on mine...

0 Likes
telveer
Contributor - Level 1

nickjr wrote:
Can you post the tip....I really could use it.. and been sort of happy to have Flash on my phone Thanks

If you have 2.1, you cant install Flash. You can play most Flash content using Skyfire browser.

[Edited to comply with Terms of Service]

0 Likes