Fascinate Data Problems
mzrdisi
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having issues with Data going in and out. For no apparent reason, ALL data connectivity will disappear and reappear at random. I've traveled 30 miles radius and still noticed the problem. (Thought maybe there was an issue in town)

I've heared an ESN swap will fix this? 

Other with verizon Android phones right next to me, do not have any issues. (Droid, Eris)

I should point out that the phone will appear to have data, but then as soon as I attempt to use an app that access data, the 3G icon dissappears. Then I have to sit and wait for it to appear again and I might get lucky enough to use it for a few minutes.

(I've updated to ED04)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fascinate Data Problems
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Mzrdisi,

I understand your frustration with regard to the data connection on your Samsung Fascinate after the software update. I would like to advise you of some troubleshooting steps that may resolve your issue. 

1st step:  Please check the newly added feature in the Power menu to turn "Mobile Data" on and off. Please "long press" the Power button and click "Mobile Data." If it is disabled, please enable it. Then, attempt to use your data connection. If you are still having the issue, please go to the second step below.

2nd step: Perform a soft-reset. Please remove the battery from the device while it is powered on. Wait 60 seconds, then re-attach the batter and power the phone back on. Then attempt your connection. If still having the issue, you may need to complete a factory reset.  

Please note that this setting erases all data from your phone, including your Google or other email account settings, system and application data and settings, and downloaded applications. It will not erase current system software and bundled applications, or files stored on an optional installed memory card, such as music or photos. Please back up your data before performing the factory reset. Below are the steps.

Select Menu

Select Settings

Select Privacy

Select Factory Data Reset

If you are still having the issue after these steps, feel free to send me a private message for further assistance. 

I hope this information is helpful for you.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Have you done the usual troubleshooting steps?

Dial *228, option 1 to reprogram your phone to the Verizon network? Dial *228, option 2 to update your roaming list (PRL)?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mzrdisi
Enthusiast - Level 2
Done device reset. Attempted *228 Of course, made sure data was on.

Looks like in logcat my device is assigned someone else's phone number if that makes any sense. Unfortunately nothing is fixing that problem.

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Mzrdisi,

I understand your frustration with regard to the data connection on your Samsung Fascinate after the software update. I would like to advise you of some troubleshooting steps that may resolve your issue. 

1st step:  Please check the newly added feature in the Power menu to turn "Mobile Data" on and off. Please "long press" the Power button and click "Mobile Data." If it is disabled, please enable it. Then, attempt to use your data connection. If you are still having the issue, please go to the second step below.

2nd step: Perform a soft-reset. Please remove the battery from the device while it is powered on. Wait 60 seconds, then re-attach the batter and power the phone back on. Then attempt your connection. If still having the issue, you may need to complete a factory reset.  

Please note that this setting erases all data from your phone, including your Google or other email account settings, system and application data and settings, and downloaded applications. It will not erase current system software and bundled applications, or files stored on an optional installed memory card, such as music or photos. Please back up your data before performing the factory reset. Below are the steps.

Select Menu

Select Settings

Select Privacy

Select Factory Data Reset

If you are still having the issue after these steps, feel free to send me a private message for further assistance. 

I hope this information is helpful for you.

0 Likes
Mjlgcm

Hey, I am having the exact same problem that you addressed in a thread. My data connectivity switches on and off for no apparent reason. I am pretty intelligent when it comes to phones so I had done everything you listed and more to try to fix it, and nothing. I have already spoke to a technician, and the only solution they had was to send me another refurb phone. My worry is that the next phone will still have the same problem. What do you suggest?

Here is the link incase this message can't show the exact thread.

http://community.vzw.com/t5/PDA-Smartphone-Devices/Fascinate-Data-Problems/td-p/555822

0 Likes
CB1123

I started to have the same issues in June.  Along with the data issues, my phone also started to not ring for incoming calls, and doesn't get all of the texts sent to me.  It also likes to give me a failure report for 1/3 of all the texts that I send out.  The data issue range from streaming music - Pandora or Sirius, Netflix and applications like Facebook, Words with Friends, and Google Maps.   Nothing works half of the time!  I don't get notifications 90% of the time and it freezes constantly.   When it freezes and they told me to take the battery out (you couldn't even power it down) it cycled through the reboot for 4hrs.  4hrs! 

I called in early July they sent me out a refurb immediately.  That fixed the call problem but I still experienced everything else.  Called back in August, they did a factory reset and checked my settings.  All was set correctly so I was told that they were going to allow me to upgrade early.  I thought that was a little strange since I wasn't even 8 months into this contract - Hmm, maybe because they know the phone is JUNK and that nothing they do will fix the issues.  The rep was supposed to call me back the next day to order a new phone but, she never did.   When I called back with the same issues and mentioned the early upgrade, I was told that there weren't any notes on my account mentioning it and that had no option but to try to troubleshoot.  They had me do all the same stuff: turn off and take out battery, ect.  Still doesn't work.  Oh but they'll send me another refurb - yay me.  I get it today, and they will be getting a call immediately if I have the same issues.   These plans are too expensive to just make phone calls!  Oh, I was also told that I should call Samsung to see what they will do for me since I am still under the year warrant.  Really?  Why don't you call Samsung on your customers behalf since I bought the product from you? 

0 Likes
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

CB1123 wrote:

I started to have the same issues in June.  Along with the data issues, my phone also started to not ring for incoming calls, and doesn't get all of the texts sent to me.  It also likes to give me a failure report for 1/3 of all the texts that I send out.  The data issue range from streaming music - Pandora or Sirius, Netflix and applications like Facebook, Words with Friends, and Google Maps.   Nothing works half of the time!  I don't get notifications 90% of the time and it freezes constantly.   When it freezes and they told me to take the battery out (you couldn't even power it down) it cycled through the reboot for 4hrs.  4hrs! 

I called in early July they sent me out a refurb immediately.  That fixed the call problem but I still experienced everything else.  Called back in August, they did a factory reset and checked my settings.  All was set correctly so I was told that they were going to allow me to upgrade early.  I thought that was a little strange since I wasn't even 8 months into this contract - Hmm, maybe because they know the phone is JUNK and that nothing they do will fix the issues.  The rep was supposed to call me back the next day to order a new phone but, she never did.   When I called back with the same issues and mentioned the early upgrade, I was told that there weren't any notes on my account mentioning it and that had no option but to try to troubleshoot.  They had me do all the same stuff: turn off and take out battery, ect.  Still doesn't work.  Oh but they'll send me another refurb - yay me.  I get it today, and they will be getting a call immediately if I have the same issues.   These plans are too expensive to just make phone calls!  Oh, I was also told that I should call Samsung to see what they will do for me since I am still under the year warrant.  Really?  Why don't you call Samsung on your customers behalf since I bought the product from you? 

Hi CB1123,

I am sorry to learn of the issues you have experienced with your Samsung Fascinate device. I would be frustrated too if my phone did not perform as expected. I trust that all issues will be resolved with the Certified Like New Replacement mentioned in your post. Please keep in mind that we will do every thing within the scope of the manufacturer's warranty to resolve any issues with your phone including troubleshooting and replacing your phone with a Certified Like New Replacement of the same model as needed.

0 Likes