Fascinate Finally Gets FROYO
yoworm

Did not mean to get anyone's hopes up of course it is not for the US because as we have noted through out these discussions Verizon does not give two {word filter avoidance} about existing customers.  Telus on the other hand has provided the FROYO update to their customers.  Thanks again Big RED we can tell customer retention is a big priority.  I can't help but wonder if there is a competition among Verizon management who has said lets see how many customers we get **bleep** off by with holding not only patch fixes but the updates, collect our 350 for the ETF and get them to come back and do it all over again.

Well Verizon can not be blamed for it happening to us over and over and over again as we are the **bleep** that put up with it.  Not only that we have several persons on these forums defending Big Red.  Are the defenders of verizon share holders

0 Likes
Re: Fascinate Finally Gets FROYO
ARossetter
Contributor - Level 1

Question: Should we give you the benefit of the doubt here, or assume that you knew you were intentionally spreading misleading tripe the whole time and just wanted to get the community riled up over the Canadian Fascinate?

I'll assume that since you knew about this release that you follow the typical Android sites (AndroidCentral, Phandroid, etc) and maybe even XDA. So how it managed to escape you that the Telus Fascinate is a GSM phone and the Verizon Fascinate is a CDMA phone is completely beyond me. 

The thing driving me absolutely insane regarding these updates is that, while I am also impatient for our Froyo update, as a developer, I know it isn't just as easy as "MAKE FROYO" and POOF, software update. It isn't as easy as "Take Radio from Epic, put in Froyo" (otherwise, the XDA community would have done it already). These things take time to do right. If I had to guess, we're not waiting on Froyo, we're waiting on an updated radio. How **bleep** off would you be if Samsung released their Froyo update without fixing any of the known issues? You'd blame Big Red for "Not testing their updates", I'm sure, because there are just some people you could never make happy, no matter how hard you tried.

I'll say again: I've posted to both sides of this issue (and I'm not a Verizon shareholder, but thanks for assuming). Though I do have a question: You mentioned paying the $350 ETF, then coming back. Why is it you come back? Could it be that you miss always having a signal everywhere you go? Or Sprint's Customer Service tell you to {word filter avoidance} straight to your face? I agree that Verizon's QA and testing is a bit insane, and *I DON'T DOUBT THAT THEY WITHHOLD SOME UPDATES IN ORDER TO PROMOTE NEW DEVICES*, but you have to appreciate that they'll test (and reject) updates that they believe would cause more harm than good. We'll get our 2.2 update, then you'll realize that it isn't radically different from 2.1. 

{please keep your posts courteous-Thanks!}

- Andy

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-still-expecting-get-froyo-fascinate-2011

There's still hope, bud.  Don't get your panties in a bunch.  Oh, and if you wanted Froyo so bad, why didn't you buy a phone that came with it already installed, or could you just not live without Bing?

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Wouldn't really get my hopes up based on that sheet.  It looks pretty old based on it showing the Droid X as having 2.1

0 Likes
yoworm

Demmo

That is why I am so mad.  I bought a phone that did not have FROYO because it had other appealing items with regard to screen size and clarity.  At the time I will admit that I was unaware that every site I go to would have a red triangle and I could not play videos.  At which time I was not concerned with FROYO as I was unaware that I needed to view videos.  When I realized this I went to the store to return the phone even though I really enjoyed the parts of the phone that were functioning.  At which time I was guarnteed by store reps and verizon reps that FROYO was comming in a week or two when that did not happen I went back to the store with a few days left to return the phone and I was told that froyo would be available in November.  As I have been generally happy with the phone I was willing to wait until November.  November came and went and I was told by the end of 2010.  

I then Learned that Samsung and little old T-mobile are selling a phone with gingerbread which is two full updates in front of my eclair with little flash support.  Then everytime I go online I see that the Telus fascinate has FROYO then I see all Galaxy S in the UK have FROYO available through KIES.  It is just disappointing that a company as big as verizon would sit in the slow lane as small companies like T-mobile are flying by them.  Not to mention the 15 to 25 year old persons living in their moms basement that are able to root update and improve on these phones.  This is not a knock to those developers it is a compliment as they are able to accomplish in half the time what the developers in Verizon are able to and they do not have any of the resources that the verizon developers have.   

0 Likes
ARossetter
Contributor - Level 1
Verizon doesn't work on the software themselves I'm sure.

But like I mentioned earlier, this is one of two CDMA phones in the Galaxy S line. The epic is getting their update starting the 26th. Being that the radio is so much different, this may explain the delay.

- Andy
0 Likes
yoworm

Andy

I am aware that the Telus Fascinate and Verizon fascinate are different, and I know that it is not as easy as just releasing that FROYO for the Verizon fascinate.  My point was to point out that FROYO updates are rolling out all around us.  Therefore the problem must be with verizon.  

I am not saying that any of this is easy I am saying that is being done elsewhere and Verizon is a cellphone giant that one would think they would be able to rollout new products there precious Iphone and still be current with updates.  Speaking of its not that easy, let us not pretend that FROYO just came out google sent it out sometime in March and then made gingerbread and honeycomb for the tablets in less time than FROYO could be adjusted for the verizon Fascinate.  Not to mention the persons at XDA are making amazing accomplishments almost daily with limited to no budget.  How many resources do you think verizon has?

I have not paid the ETF and come back however I am aware in my area Verizon's service is better the problem is that they know it.  They know they can drag their feet and not release the update much less the GPS fix that is available and has been released by the hardworking persons at XDA yet the IT department at Verizon is unable to atleast send out a patch in the interim.  

As far as the other networks they have their own problems as well however Sprint was the first with 4g as small as those areas may be.  Has a family share plan that includes unlimited data which is available to all of their customers, they beat verizon to front facing cameras.  It appears as if they are trying a bit harder for their customers.  T-mobile has the Nexus S and 2.3 and of course AT&T has the iphone.  All of the carriers have pros and cons and I admit for me and maybe many of us Verizon's pro's out number their con's however I do not think that means any of us should accept the lesser of two evils.  I think we should continue to encourage Verizon to strive to be better which would include programs, updates and promotions for existing customers as well as new customers.  I also think that if Samsung is known for being slow on updates that Verizon should hold them to a higher standard or drop their product as they are not keeping up with company standards.  

Normally updates come just in time to wait for the next update in this case the next update is here so I guess the moment we get FROYO we will start asking where Gingerbread.  At this point why even rollout FROYO when they should be working on Gingerbread

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

yoworm wrote:

Demmo

That is why I am so mad.  I bought a phone that did not have FROYO because it had other appealing items with regard to screen size and clarity.  At the time I will admit that I was unaware that every site I go to would have a red triangle and I could not play videos.  At which time I was not concerned with FROYO as I was unaware that I needed to view videos.  When I realized this I went to the store to return the phone even though I really enjoyed the parts of the phone that were functioning.  At which time I was guarnteed by store reps and verizon reps that FROYO was comming in a week or two when that did not happen I went back to the store with a few days left to return the phone and I was told that froyo would be available in November.  As I have been generally happy with the phone I was willing to wait until November.  November came and went and I was told by the end of 2010.  

I then Learned that Samsung and little old T-mobile are selling a phone with gingerbread which is two full updates in front of my eclair with little flash support.  Then everytime I go online I see that the Telus fascinate has FROYO then I see all Galaxy S in the UK have FROYO available through KIES.  It is just disappointing that a company as big as verizon would sit in the slow lane as small companies like T-mobile are flying by them.  Not to mention the 15 to 25 year old persons living in their moms basement that are able to root update and improve on these phones.  This is not a knock to those developers it is a compliment as they are able to accomplish in half the time what the developers in Verizon are able to and they do not have any of the resources that the verizon developers have.   

I think what you have to understand here is the financial responsibility Verizon has regarding these updates.  They are rocky enough as it is, but what do you think would happen if they released an update with a disclaimer of "this or that isn't working yet, but we will try to fix it soon".  Almost every ROM thread at XDA has that disclaimer on it and, while those guys do absolutely amazing work with these phones, unless it is based on something that is currently available for the phone, they can be buggy as hell.  Samsung is notoriously slow with updates (and don't try to woo me with that Nexus S stuff, that is purely Google firmware riding into town on Samsung hardware, on T-Mo's network, they aren't even selling the thing, Best Buy is) and so is Verizon.  Also, if those "15 to 25 year olds in their mom's basements" were to have a corporation behind them with all the add-ons and layovers that the manufacturers and carriers require, I think it would take just as long.  Not to mention, the Canadian Fascinate update is rolling out, now Verizon has to send it back to Bing it out.  I'm not all fire in support of Verizon here, I just think that you aren't seeing the reality of things here and, besides, you're stirring up the natives, people get all riled up when the subject of updates comes up.

0 Likes
my2cents2
I had the same experience with promises about new software. I wanted to return the phone within 30 days and was told my phone's software would be upgraded by the end of September.

I feel I was lied to too, which makes me feel quite naive since I loved my iPhone and believed AT&T would come through with their promises to add cell sites in San Francisco.

At least my Verizon cell service works 99.5% of the time now. Ivan make and receive phone calls. This a major improvement.

I wish the Samsung phone had not come with apps I didn't want and can't delete. I am also not used to ads popping up and the volume setting changing unexpectedly .

I plan to sell or give away my Samsung and look for another phone alternative mid-January. I wanted to love this phone too.
0 Likes
LandLockedPH

Financial responsibility?

How's this for "financial responsibility"... if the device Verizon sells (to make money) doesn't perform as advertised or as continually promised to perform (past the initial 30 days) they allow the CUSTOMER to choose to continue waiting or opt out of their "contract" with no penalty. 

Why is their contract only one way?  We are paying for "contracted" services which include a device working with full functionality as advertised.  If Verizon cannot deliver on their side of the "contract", why should the customer be forced to continue to pay?

Crazy!

0 Likes