Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
Fascinate and Mail
Jazi
Newbie

I've had my phone now about 5 days.  And I've tried K-9 Mail and Maildroid.  Maildroid is the best for email.  There is a free version, which has ads that run at the bottom.  And there is a Pro version, which you can purchase (one time fee) of $17.99.  I will be purchasing the Pro version because it eliminates the ads running at the bottom of your screen and therefore drains less on your battery.  I'm going to use the free version for another few days to make sure it REALLY works the way I like it to and if so, I'll be purchasing it and supporting the developer, so hopefully he can continue to make upgrades to help others out that REALLY need reliable email provided. 

 

Just thought I'd share.  :smileywink:

0 Likes
Re: Fascinate and Mail
Indianchief
Contributor

Please update us on how Maildroid performs over the next few days and if you continue to be happy with it.  Mail seems definitely to be a major bug in this phone/operating system so something that works is a plus.  Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Fascinate and Mail
10sEn
Contributor

We live in a fast-paced society where everyone wants everything instantly (without waiting for it).  But honestly for most people, the stock email program is plenty.  As for me, I've supplemented the stock email program with an app for mass mailing and a file manager to allow me to attach non-photos.  Sure, I'd like to be able to receive my emails instantly, but it's not the end of the world if I don't, as long as I receive them in a timely manner.  I've set mine to check every 15 minutes, and that works fine for me.  If I'm expecting something urgent, I'll change the setting or manually refresh.

 

But for those in a line of work in which receiving an email a minute after it was received is going to be an issue, other email apps, such as MailDroid, K-9, and Secure9 probably are the way to go.  The good thing about all 3 is that they offer push mailing, like Gmail.  The good thing about K-9 and Secure9 is that they both are open source apps, so they are free.

 

Honestly, I couldn't see myself paying $17.99 for an app that just sends email, but I probably would if I thought it were worth it and there weren't any other good options out there.  So, I'm glad that you've found the perfect emailing app for you.  Congratulations.

 

But I'm just going to advise that everyone test out the various options before opting to purchase any app.  You may find a really good open-source app out there.

0 Likes
Re: Fascinate and Mail
Indianchief
Contributor

Glad your email works, you are indeed one of the lucky ones.  Mine doesn't, so that is why I have interest in Mail Apps.

0 Likes
Re: Fascinate and Mail
nickjr
Contributor

I've been reading some of the reviews, and several users liked it but then others had a problem with saving attachments and viewing .jpeg online. Has this been an issue with you yet?

0 Likes
Re: Fascinate and Mail
Jazi
Newbie

I've had absolutely NO problems with this one.  I recently purchased the MailDroid Pro version, which eliminates the ads that are located at the bottom of the screen.  The ads really drain the battery, which really does NOT need any further drainage.  I can open up jpeg files just fine.  And I can save them.  I'm in real estate and my email and the capability of open attachments is critical for me.  I've even saved pdf files.  You may have some limitations if you're using the FREE version.  I was only on the free version for about a day or so.  I couldn't handle the ads.  There is a cost associated with the Pro version, which is $17.99.  In my opinion, it was't too bad.  Free is always good.  But I feel paying for someone's time is fair.  I don't feel the cost to be too high, considering that its a one time ONLY fee and not an annual or monthly fee.  Everyone should be compensated for their work and time.  Especially when you have a good product.  Maybe Samsung or Verison should hire him to make the application for the phone.  :smileysurprised:  Now that's a thought!  I tried K-9 Mail and it was quirky and had send issues.  Some have stated they've used the K-9 Mail with no problem.  It just didn't suite my needs.  I found MailDroid "Pro" to be the best for my working needs.  Hope this gives you a little more information.

0 Likes
Re: Fascinate and Mail
Jazi
Newbie

Indianchief wrote:

Glad your email works, you are indeed one of the lucky ones.  Mine doesn't, so that is why I have interest in Mail Apps.


If you haven't tried MailDroid, give them a try.  You can download the FREE version first to see how you like it.  If you like it, they've made it convenient for your to save your settings by exporting your settings, remove the FREE version, download the Pro version and then import your settings and you'll be back up and working as if nothing happened.  You'll notice a few extras that you won't get with the FREE along with the ads being removed, which is a BIG plus for me.  Nothing hurts to try.  Especially when you can try for FREE.

0 Likes
Re: Fascinate and Mail
Jazi
Newbie

10sEn wrote:

We live in a fast-paced society where everyone wants everything instantly (without waiting for it).  But honestly for most people, the stock email program is plenty.  As for me, I've supplemented the stock email program with an app for mass mailing and a file manager to allow me to attach non-photos.  Sure, I'd like to be able to receive my emails instantly, but it's not the end of the world if I don't, as long as I receive them in a timely manner.  I've set mine to check every 15 minutes, and that works fine for me.  If I'm expecting something urgent, I'll change the setting or manually refresh.

 

But for those in a line of work in which receiving an email a minute after it was received is going to be an issue, other email apps, such as MailDroid, K-9, and Secure9 probably are the way to go.  The good thing about all 3 is that they offer push mailing, like Gmail.  The good thing about K-9 and Secure9 is that they both are open source apps, so they are free.

 

Honestly, I couldn't see myself paying $17.99 for an app that just sends email, but I probably would if I thought it were worth it and there weren't any other good options out there.  So, I'm glad that you've found the perfect emailing app for you.  Congratulations.

 

But I'm just going to advise that everyone test out the various options before opting to purchase any app.  You may find a really good open-source app out there.


Sorry 10sEn, but the stock program did not work for me at ALL.  It would not send or receive my email.  And YES, I need my mail instantly.  My email is the veins to my business.  If I needed it just to stay in touch with folks socially, which I don't, then it would still be a problem because I'm NOT getting my mail.    You said the magic word when you said "TIMELY", I'm NOT receiving mail.  PROBLEM.  I set my stock email to check every 5 minutes.  It did okay for the first hour I had it installed.  After I set up my thrid email account it went bonkers.  I even deleted every account, rebooted and readded just the business email and still I had problems.  Ther is a definite issue with their email account.  And since so many others are complaining, it's not just me being impatient. 

 

I tried K-9 Mail and it started having send and receive issues.  MailDroid has been the best answer for ME and solved MY problem.  I don't like ads running at the bottom of my emails and therefore I CHOSE to purchase.  Personally I don't feel that a one time fee of $17.99 was too much to pay someone for solving an issue for me and paying for their time.  Everyone deserves to be paid for their time and knowledge.  :smileywink:

 

Eveyone has the option to choose which application is best for them.  I was just sharing my experience with the three versions I've used.  It's always good when you looking at the forums to see what has worked for others and why.  I was trying to give as much information about what worked for me, so I might be able to assist someone else in making a more informed decision.  Thats all. 

 

Have a wonderful day and great rest of the week.  :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Re: Fascinate and Mail
Jazi
Newbie

Indianchief wrote:

Please update us on how Maildroid performs over the next few days and if you continue to be happy with it.  Mail seems definitely to be a major bug in this phone/operating system so something that works is a plus.  Thanks in advance.


I will.  So far I've had it for two days now and it's been great.  I'll let you all know by the end of the week how it goes.  :smileywink:

0 Likes
Re: Fascinate and Mail
puterfx
Newbie

I got my phone on Black Friday.  Tough decision though.  Choice was between Droid X and Fascinate.  The main reason I went with Fascinate was because it didn't cost me anything up front.  Still questioning whether it would have been worth it to go with the Droid X.  I guess if I was into all the Droidy stuff, then it would have been worth it.  The first thing I noticed, coming from the Omnia Win phone was that I couldn't sync my email, contacts, tasks, etc easily unless I used google, which I did not want to do.  I tried the stock program and it didn't work very well ... if at all so I began a search and tried K9 and wasn't impressed.  Then I found MailDroid.  I ran both at the same time and would get emails on 2 different pop accounts  (isp's) on MailDroid long before I would on the stock program.  MD is a little slow at times but that might be the isp instead and I've not missed an email ... and this is the free version.  Towards the end of Dec, I removed the accounts from the stock email program and have been using MailDroid ever since ... just can't seem to bring myself to lay out the $18 yet. 

0 Likes