Fascinate gets shafted
JBorch8
Like many of us, I have been waiting for the day that one of the rumors come true about the fascinate getting its 2.2 update. Sadly, there is no future with the fascinate receiving such an update. After a long chat with one of samsung's employees, I was finally able to get him to talk to me with his own personal expertise, and none of the required mumbo jumbo that they're suppose to say. He told me that the fascinate will not be getting such an update and that he hasn't even heard news of it being developed.
I am sure many of you will argue this, and I encourage to hear other, hopefully more credible, responses to this issue.
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Fascinate gets shafted
Droidbotics
Really, this is a common theme, but how do you explain the leaks? I sometimes wonder if Verizon and Samsung think we're dumb enough to believe such lunacy. I think your a victim of misinformation, this guys do not care about what they say.
0 Likes
randallg

My wife & I are extremely happy with the Fascinate and 2.1...it does absolutely everything we need a small phone/computer to do.  Personally, I don't have any interest in 2.2 and will be happy using the phone just the way it is for the next 18 months and then we'll get the next smart phone.  If Froyo is pushed to my phone, great...if not, I can still text, make calls, receive calls, surf the web, play games, use the calendars, use the alarms, listen to music...what else do we really NEED? 

0 Likes
gsp10
I Mean I still want my outdated update
0 Likes
Fascinatin

Got an interesting article by e mail that was published by the San Francisco Examiner.

http://www.examiner.com/gadgets-in-san-francisco/where-is-the-samsung-fascinate-froyo-update

0 Likes
techlife2

I disagree with the information you have received from an "unnamed" source -  the following is an e-mail reply from Verizon just this mormning (3/9/11)   I realize it is a bit of a "canned comment" but, it does attempt to put things into a proper perspective.... just thought you should know....

Android 2.2 is not yet available for the Fascinate because Samsung chose to focus on updating GSM based versions of their Galaxy S class handsets to 2.2. This decision was made because GSM is used in most of the world while CDMA, is used primarily in the US and some Latin American countries. Samsung chose to dedicate their resources to updating the software for the larger GSM market first. Once Samsung has finalized the 2.2 software, Verizon Wireless will evaluate and test it before releasing it to our customers.

We apologize that you were led to believe that the 2.2 upgrade was imminent. You should not have been advised that the upgrade was expected by a certain time frame because unconfirmed information is subject to change and has raised expectations that were not be met. We'd like to assure you that we are committed to providing the very latest in products and services. For that reason, we rigorously test software updates prior to launching them in an effort ensure they meet our standards of excellence. Doing so allows us to confidently address information regarding products or services that we currently offer.........

Sincerely,

Carlos
Verizon Wireless
Data Technical Support

0 Likes
gsp10
Standards Of Excellence hahahahaha there still is no way it would take this long to get an out of date update to a soon to be out of date phone
0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

techlife2 wrote:

Android 2.2 is not yet available for the Fascinate because Samsung chose to focus on updating GSM based versions of their Galaxy S class handsets to 2.2. This decision was made because GSM is used in most of the world while CDMA, is used primarily in the US and some Latin American countries. Samsung chose to dedicate their resources to updating the software for the larger GSM market first. Once Samsung has finalized the 2.2 software, Verizon Wireless will evaluate and test it before releasing it to our customers.

I call **bleep**.  Motorola and HTC both have GSM brands but manage have managed to get their US markets updated.  Granted their poor coding practices probably doesn't help since they have Touchwiz hardcoded into the android framework which causes more requires more work when they go to modify it for other devices.

0 Likes