Fascinate sets itself to silent mode since ED05 update.
ccth

I installed the ED05 update 4 weeks ago hoping it would fix the problem I was having with frequent missed calls.  It seems to have worked but now I have a new problem.  Three times since the update I have found that the phone was in silent mode, even though I had not turned silent mode on or made any other changes to the sound settings.  In addition, the incoming call volume was turned way down (I normally have it turned up fairly high).  I haven't been able to associate these phantom changes with any actions on my part such as powering the phone off and back on, or installing a new app, etc., so I'm at a loss to explain what's causing it. 

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fascinate sets itself to silent mode since ED05 update.
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

HI Ccth,

And thanks to Wildman for your suggestion to download an application. Ccth, did you download this app and did it resolve your issue?

I checked my resources and I am not showing that what you describe is an issue with the Fascinate. Rest assured, I do not doubt you. I do want to ask if you use a holster or a pouch with your Fascinate. I ask you this because the FAscinate can be put in silent mode with the volume keys on the side of the device. So, if you use a holster, when putting the phone back into the holster, this key can be pressed and the phone gets put in silent mode. Below is an example of how this can occur.

Looking at your phone, start increasing the volume until it is maxed out. Next, start clicking to decrease the volume. Right before the lowest level is reached, the icon will appear indicating the phone is muted or in Silent mode. Click down one more time and you will then automatically go into Vibrate mode. Now going back in the opposite direction, one click up puts you right back into Silent mode while still another click up starts increasing the volume for Normal mode. 

If this was the case with your device, downloading the application that Wildman suggested should resolve the issue, since the app will not allow the volume to be changed without your acknowledgement.

Please let us know how this has worked out for you. 

Thank you!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Try Volume Locker, it wont allow volume change without you acknowledgement and will restore volume if you accidentally change level.  https://market.android.com/details?id=com.hourdb.volumelocker&feature=search_result

20110901204628.png

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

HI Ccth,

And thanks to Wildman for your suggestion to download an application. Ccth, did you download this app and did it resolve your issue?

I checked my resources and I am not showing that what you describe is an issue with the Fascinate. Rest assured, I do not doubt you. I do want to ask if you use a holster or a pouch with your Fascinate. I ask you this because the FAscinate can be put in silent mode with the volume keys on the side of the device. So, if you use a holster, when putting the phone back into the holster, this key can be pressed and the phone gets put in silent mode. Below is an example of how this can occur.

Looking at your phone, start increasing the volume until it is maxed out. Next, start clicking to decrease the volume. Right before the lowest level is reached, the icon will appear indicating the phone is muted or in Silent mode. Click down one more time and you will then automatically go into Vibrate mode. Now going back in the opposite direction, one click up puts you right back into Silent mode while still another click up starts increasing the volume for Normal mode. 

If this was the case with your device, downloading the application that Wildman suggested should resolve the issue, since the app will not allow the volume to be changed without your acknowledgement.

Please let us know how this has worked out for you. 

Thank you!

0 Likes
ccth

Hi Christina,

First, a thanks to Wildman for suggesting the Volume Locker app.  I've downloaded it and played around with it a little, and it looks like it may put a stop to the problem.  It's only occurred 3 times in the past 4 weeks so it may be a while before I know for sure. 

I hadn't thought about the possibility of the volume button being inadvertently pressed and putting the phone into silent mode.  I don't use a holster or pouch but it's possible that the button could get pressed while putting the phone into or taking in out of my pocket.  With the Volume Locker app I should know if that occurs.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

ccth

0 Likes