Fascinate update to 2.2
cooper123

Can someone tell me when Samsung Fascinate can be updated to Android 2.2?

0 Likes
Re: Fascinate update to 2.2
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

no.  no one here knows anything

0 Likes
DonM
Contributor - Level 2

Samsung says the long-delayed upgrade to Android OS 2.2 for the U.S. versions of the Samsung Galaxy S is still in testing. The company says it will be available "as soon as possible".

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=17346&news=Google+Android+OS+2.2+Samsung+Galaxy+S+Epic+...

From what I have read this weekend the problems may be due to Froyo and the bloatware installed by Verizon not playing well together. I understand that after Verizon receives the Froyo from Samsung they will need to evaluate it, so I would think the upgrade to Android 2.2 is still somewhat distant.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

it isn't limited to verizon as no US carrier has received the update.  US Cellular is the only one who has come out with a date and that's March for the Mesmerize.  

0 Likes
JoshuaYP

just give up on Froyo 2.2 update ^^ let's wait for 2.4 ROFL

0 Likes
_Scott_S_

Just saw this article. It says Samsung is holding the update hostage and is trying to charge Verizon a fee per phone it's pushed to. The other major phone makers don't do this.

Gizmodo post on Galaxy S phone updates.

0 Likes
jcj2

That is an interesting revelation if it is true, and I have no reason to believe it is not.  Just as likely it is a combination of that and VZ's total lack of care for their existing customer base coupled with a burning desire to sucker uneducated consumers into paying outrageous fees for services provided for free or much less elsewhere no matter how badly they break the device in doing so.

Wait for Samsung to code the base.

Wait for negotiations.

Wait for Verizon to code in non-Android features that break the OS like the incredibly stupid force fit of Bing onto the Fascinate.

Wait for Verizon to code in an attempted force push to their own media manager that breaks the phones previous ability to easily sync files (including media files) with any other computer (PC, Mac. or Linux).  Is anyone going to re-buy music from VZ when they have an existing separate collection?  The fact that ANYONE buys a song from VZ shows how blank some folk are.

Better OS's than 2.1 are available NOW for this phone from independent developers - it is NOT that hard to do the needed code for Froyo/2.2 unless you are waiting for other activities to take place.  Hobbyists got it done in a couple of weeks - VZ/Samsung can't do as well?  Really?

DL09 fixed my GPS, BUT, it also killed battery life, made POP mail sync unreliable, and has resulted in more general hangs and failures in 3rd party apps without yanking the $%!#! Bing garbage (which I believe is at the root of many of those issues).  It also screwed up USB mounting, so what took me a few seconds now takes much longer with more steps while breaking auto-sync on other applications.

When I get a some time to play with it my phone will likely receive a 3rd party OS, AND I will cheerfully send the developer some $ for the functional system update to 2.2.  It will leave me as a happy Fascinate user with all Android features intact, but an angry VZ customer.    

0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

jcj2 wrote:

Better OS's than 2.1 are available NOW for this phone from independent developers -

this isn't true. some are being developed, but are not even close to ready. only altered versions of the already completed2.1 are available.

it is NOT that hard to do the needed code for Froyo/2.2 unless you are waiting for other activities to take place.  Hobbyists got it done in a couple of weeks - VZ/Samsung can't do as well?  Really?

independant developers don't need to do any testing like verizon and samsung do. they can just release a ROM without it being stable. despite what some may think, samsung needs to do a lot of testing to make sure the ROM is as complete/functional as possible. not only this, but it's taken a lot longer than weeks, and gingerbread still isn't even functional on a basic level (phone, wifi, bluetooth, gps, ect...). froyo isn't even being worked on last I checked by independant developers.

DL09 fixed my GPS, BUT, it also killed battery life, made POP mail sync unreliable, and has resulted in more general hangs and failures in 3rd party apps without yanking the $%!#! Bing garbage (which I believe is at the root of many of those issues).  It also screwed up USB mounting, so what took me a few seconds now takes much longer with more steps while breaking auto-sync on other applications.

When I get a some time to play with it my phone will likely receive a 3rd party OS, AND I will cheerfully send the developer some $ for the functional system update to 2.2.  It will leave me as a happy Fascinate user with all Android features intact, but an angry VZ customer.    

like I said, you have to wait. the first couple releases of gingerbread won't be fully functional, and it's likely we will never get a fully functional independant OS. not every phone is possible for the independant developers to get right.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

There are currently 2 versions of froyo floating around (stock AOSP and one based on Cyanogenmod).  Both are still a little too glitchy for a daily driver as evidenced by the list below but they're quickly making progress

INCOMPLETE LIST OF THINGS THAT DON'T WORK
Lights
Camera
Bluetooth
Just about all the rest of the hardware
MMS

INCOMPLETE LIST OF THINGS THAT *DO* WORK
Calls
Audio
Data
SMS
Sensors
Wifi
GPS

0 Likes
DonM
Contributor - Level 2

jcj2 wrote:

DL09 fixed my GPS as well and it has reduced battery life to easily 60-75% of what it was pre-DL09. I haven't seen any of the other glitches others are complaining about such as USB mounting or app crashes.

0 Likes