Fascinate won't connect to update server
Kabob

My wife and I both have Fascinates.  A week or two ago I downloaded a system update and it worked fine, with her phone though every time I try to download the same update it gives me a "Server Unavailable" error message.  I've tried it several times over several days.  My phone just says "No update available."

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Fascinate won't connect to update server
VZW_Zrock02
Contributor - Level 3

The first thing we can do is perform a soft reset:
 Soft Reset
 Press the Power key. 
 Touch Power off. 
Touch OK. 
 Press the Power key to power on the device.

Then try to dial *228 send and option 1 on the device, then repeat and dial *228 send and option 2 to update the PRL. 

Once you have done this try to perform the update:
From the main screen, touch menu tab
Touch Settings
Touch About Phone
Touch System Updates

0 Likes
angelikchaos

what would you suggest if this "fix" does not work? i have tried what you suggested and am still receiving the error 500 server unavailable.

0 Likes
VZW_Zrock02
Contributor - Level 3

This is a system error. A factory reset will restore this back to your phone. The steps to performing the reset are listed below:

1. Hold Home Button and press power (continue to hold until you see the triangle with an asterisk like in step 2)

2. Screen will show a Android with a triangle with asterisk

3. Let Go of Home Button and Power

4. Press Search Button (Far Right Button)

5. A blue menu will show at top of page, scroll to Format Device

6. Select Yes to verify

7. Allow format to complete (Information at bottom of page will go through a few steps)

8. Once Format is complete Blue Menu will show at top again, select Reboot

9. Sometimes phone hangs after reboot and will take a while but if no response after 5 - 10 minutes, pull the battery and reinsert. (Device usually starts fine after this)

0 Likes
Dad-Bill
Contributor - Level 1

I've had the same problem, kinda! To connect to the tower for an update you cannot use WiFi, it must be in the 3G mode. After I activated 3G I was able to download the update but my problem is the phone did not install it successfully. From what I understand, after the 2.2 update we will be able to do downloads using WiFi. Hope this helps you!

0 Likes
papa_leo
Contributor - Level 1

I was able to update to vDI01 at the end of October. Since then, I can't update. I am getting an error 500 "Internal Server Error". I am doing an update over 3G.

I tried to do soft reset with battery pull and *228 options 1 and 2 and then hard reset. It solved nothing...I was able to update only to S:i500.04 V.DI01.

Could anyone please confirm if that is the latest version and if Samsung and/or VZW is actually pushing updates through in a limited batches instead of allowing users to update on their own.

0 Likes
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

I have 3 Fascinates.  ( All great phones by the way. )

All 3 came with the S:i500.04 V.DH12  version.

I was able to successfully update all 3 to the V.DI01 version

with no problems over 3G.

As far as I know, this is still the latest version and only update

Verizon/Samsung have provided to date.

0 Likes
crimini

Having the same issue here.  Will the factory reset erase all my data, ie. apps, contacts, email accounts, etc?

0 Likes
VZW_Zrock02
Contributor - Level 3

crimini wrote:

Having the same issue here.  Will the factory reset erase all my data, ie. apps, contacts, email accounts, etc?

It will wipe your phone clean like it was when you first powered it on. Your contacts are backed up by backup assistant. Your applications are stored on your Google account where you can re-download them once you have restarted your device.

0 Likes
crimini

Ok thanks.  Considering that I have the Server Unavailable, code 500 from Innopath, still after the soft reset, do I need to be doing a factory reset?  Or will this resolve itself? 

I have build DI101

I am not, and have never been, rooted.

Firmware is 2.1 -update 1

Thanks.

0 Likes