Fascinated by the Fascinate!
Jazi

I read the forums for a while and used the information obtained here to some what make my final discission to purchase.  I did buy on Monday, January 24, 2011.  I was holding out for the iPhone.  But after reading up all the hype on it and checking both phones out......I opted for the more 'financially' practical one and bought the Fascinate.  I purchased it for $39.00 and so far I've not regretted it. 

The email is really unstable.  Once I got it working, it is sometimes a go and sometimes not.  From reading the post, I downloaded from the 'Market' an application called K-9 Mail, which is much nicer and more dependable than the factory installed email.  I was skeptical at first about downloading the application....because that's just how I am.  No other reason.  I just don't like having to add more stuff on my phone than necessary.  However, this WAS NECESSARY.  If you depend on receiving your mail, because of business, like myself, save yourself the headache and download K-9 Mail.  You won't regret it.  It has issues too though.  It keeps pulling trashed mail and putting it back into the mailbox.  And one mailboxes receives in another.  But I am getting ALL of my mail and not just some.  I haven't deleted the mailboxes on the factory email yet.  I'm giving K-9 Mail a minute to REALLY prove that it's up for the job first.  I'm checking in both places for now.  My mail is VERY IMPORTANT and one missed item can cost me!  So....once I'm REALLY certain that all is well, I'll trash it.

The phone is phenominal!  It has me on it at almost every minute.  I'm so happy that I left the BlackBerry Tour I don't know what to do.  Anyone that knows BlackBerry knows that it can't be beat by its reliable email system.  However, when it comes to the web, it totally sucks!  It is painfully slow!  Facebook, contact and other features are awesome on the fascinate and dare I talk about the screen!  WOW!  So overall this is a truly awesome phone with features that work well.  I'm hoping Verizon and Samsung will workout the email issues, which is a big red thumbs down.  :smileysad:  But I'm able to work with it for now. 

Despite it's small shortcomings, this phone is a winner for me.  It does all that I need it to do and more!

1.  It has nice noficiations that appear at the top and when the phone goes into sleep mode and awakens it has nice notifications in puzzle peices right in the front so you see them immediately.

2.  I was able to set my own ringtones effortlessly.

3.  Love the fact that while at home I can use the WiFi feature, which saves my data usage!

4.  Love the Buddies Now feature.

5.  Really like the Feeds and Updates feature.

These are just a few of the things that I like. 

Just thought I'd share!

Peace!

0 Likes
Re: Fascinated by the Fascinate!
arolling
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sometimes that can cause problems (having email programs on the system together). I did the same thing as a workaround for the Fascinate and found that K9 was doing the same things you listed. A rep told me to delete the K9 app and removed the accounts from the default mail program. Then power off the phone, reinstall K9 and it should work. I did all of that except reinstall K9. I tried Maildroid and it works perfectly.

I haven't retried K9 so I can't say that following those steps would make it work perfectly because the app itself can be flawed. The Maildroid app works good though. My two school email accounts come in instantly and my Yahoo emails come in no longer than 5 minutes later. It's pretty good and simpler than the K9 app to me. Us fascinators must stick together!! lol

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

POP/IMAP support for email seems to be relatively flakey for a lot of people on Android as a whole (not just limited to the fascinate).  I use gmail and exchange exclusively so I haven't run into any of the email problems.

0 Likes
ladybell
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was a long time blackberry user and it can't be beat on the email front but I am hoping to get the emails worked out on the Fascinate.  Thanks for the input about the Maildroid and K9 mail.  I will be checking those out. 

0 Likes
Jazi

I'm going to try deleting them now and reinstall.  I'll also check out Maildroid.  Thank you!!!  You're right, we Fascinators MUST stick together!  :smileywink:

0 Likes
Jazi

PJNC284 wrote:

POP/IMAP support for email seems to be relatively flakey for a lot of people on Android as a whole (not just limited to the fascinate).  I use gmail and exchange exclusively so I haven't run into any of the email problems.

I have a business account, not on a mail exchange server, but my own personal domain name and email and I don't want it going through the gmail account.  I gave consideration to that thought to.  But I want the receiver to see my business email address and information.  Thanks and have a WONDERFUL day!..:smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Jazi

ladybell wrote:

I was a long time blackberry user and it can't be beat on the email front but I am hoping to get the emails worked out on the Fascinate.  Thanks for the input about the Maildroid and K9 mail.  I will be checking those out. 

How do you uninstall an application like K-9 Mail?

0 Likes
Jazi

NEVER MIND!!!! I JUST DID IT.

0 Likes