Fascinated with eReaders
KirbyChinchilla

Happy holidays, everyone! I am interested in the Samsung Fascinate for Verizon Wireless. Deal through Best Buy at $49.99 with 2-year plan and free activation. I am interested in a phone/eReader.

1) Is this phone a good eReader?
2) With WiFi, do I still go through the $15 data plan, or is it free on my home WiFi?
3) Also, I'm not phone upgradeable for another three months, but Verizon has a deal where I can add a smartphone (another line) with a data plan for free. I'm hoping a $15/month versus $29.99/month. Would I get charged a data plan on the main line AND on the added line? Or would I be charged a data plan for just the added line?

Sorry for all the questions, and I will double check with the local Verizon store, but I wanted to talk with others in the know.

Thank you for your time!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fascinated with eReaders
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

KirbyChinchilla wrote:

Happy holidays, everyone! I am interested in the Samsung Fascinate for Verizon Wireless. Deal through Best Buy at $49.99 with 2-year plan and free activation. I am interested in a phone/eReader.

2) With WiFi, do I still go through the $15 data plan, or is it free on my home WiFi?
3) Also, I'm not phone upgradeable for another three months, but Verizon has a deal where I can add a smartphone (another line) with a data plan for free. I'm hoping a $15/month versus $29.99/month. Would I get charged a data plan on the main line AND on the added line? Or would I be charged a data plan for just the added line?

Sorry for all the questions, and I will double check with the local Verizon store, but I wanted to talk with others in the know.

Thank you for your time!

1. There are several apps available that are e-readers.  Kindle, Nook, Aldiko, Laputa, etc.  Each have their own pros and cons.

2.  Any data transferred through any wifi not just your home wifi will not count as data on your data plan with your phone.  The wifi on the phone has sleep policy. To ensure you don't have data transfers over 3g whenever wifi turns off, you should change the policy or check out this link to turn off the 3g data network.  http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/04/30/how-to-turn-off-and-disable-mobile-data-connection-2ggprsed...

3.  If you don't currently have a data plan for the current line, you will only be charged a data plan for the added line.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

1) With the Fascinate, you can download the Kindle App from the Marketplace. Works very good.

2) With the Fascinate, you are required to have a data plan. Either the $15 or $29.99 plan.

3) With this promotion, you would just be charged for the data plan for the additional line and it would have to be at least the $29.99 plan. You would then be stuck with 2 lines, though. Don't understand how that would be a good option.

0 Likes
KirbyChinchilla

Thank you for the reply. I really do appreciate it. The promotion, from what I understand, I can add the line and then be reimburst the $9.99 each month. I would just be charged the $29.99 extra. When my contract is up, I can drop the extra line. You did answer my question, though, that I would only need to pay for one data plan and not two.

Happy holidays!

0 Likes
KirbyChinchilla

My appoligies for posting twice, but I had a followup question to your answer. With a Blackberry, from my understanding, there are no additional charges involved when using only Wi-Fi. I was wondering if I were to get the $15/month data plan, would the Wi-Fi save on some costs?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

That is, as long as the phone on your other line is not a smartphone.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

KirbyChinchilla wrote:

Thank you for your time!

1. There are several apps available that are e-readers.  Kindle, Nook, Aldiko, Laputa, etc.  Each have their own pros and cons.

2.  Any data transferred through any wifi not just your home wifi will not count as data on your data plan with your phone.  The wifi on the phone has sleep policy. To ensure you don't have data transfers over 3g whenever wifi turns off, you should change the policy or check out this link to turn off the 3g data network.  http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/04/30/how-to-turn-off-and-disable-mobile-data-connection-2ggprsed...

3.  If you don't currently have a data plan for the current line, you will only be charged a data plan for the added line.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
KirbyChinchilla

Thank you for your help. I really do appreciate it. That is very interesting about the WiFi. I had no idea. I'm mainly looking to transfer eBooks from my PC to my phone. I just didn't want to carry two devices with me (phone + eReader). I'm one for simplicity. The more I have to carry around, the more I lose. lol

Thank you again and happy holidays!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
@Kirby
You're welcome.
I do have one question for you now that you mention having ebooks on your computer. What format are those ebooks in? It would help narrow down which ereader application is best for side loading your existing ebooks onto your phone.

0 Likes