For what its worth...
DonM
Contributor - Level 2

http://twitter.com/samsungjohn

from SamsungJohn on twitter:

We are doing the best we can to deliver Froyo/2.2 for Fascinate owners.

about 3 hours ago via web

I'm a little frustrated but I am also still willing to give them a chance. It is surprising that the Froyo/Bing/CDMA/Google or whatever is causing the delay is still an issue, and I do think there is an issue..either a coding problem, conflict with Bing, the CDMA radio or even a small skirmish between Verizon and Google.

Unlike some others here I have a Fascinate that is working great so my reason for wanting Froyo tends to be somewhat different.

I am the network admin at the corporate office I work at. I am also the Alpha Geek for my friends, family, etc... I have learned through hard experience what not having timely updates can do. Android now has 1/3 of the smartphone market, it will become a target for exploits and remember everyone - Linux isn't exploit-proof it is just harder to exploit and it hasn't really been on the bad guy's radar. The people who compete at Pwn2Own and the other contests will tell you nothing is unexploitable. As our financial worlds become more intertwined with our phones the criminals' desire to access smartphones will become overwhelming.

The entire cell phone industry needs to understand and get into the mindset that smartphones need to be updated regularly, just like desktops and laptops or in the near future using a unpatched cellphone will be like going online with a Win98 computer - when you go offline you probably won't be the one in control of your device.

0 Likes
Re: For what its worth...
gsp10
Seriously Why did verizon have to put bing on this phone I bet that is the only problem with this phone being updated. Their was no point in putting something as worthless as bing on this google operated phone
0 Likes
sandystorm

gsp10 wrote:
Seriously Why did verizon have to put bing on this phone I bet that is the only problem with this phone being updated. Their was no point in putting something as worthless as bing on this google operated phone

And may I ask what is wrong with Bing? Answer that one  GPS 10? You can still use Google on phone

0 Likes
maryl
Contributor - Level 1

sandystorm wrote:

gsp10 wrote:
Seriously Why did Verizon have to put bing on this phone I bet that is the only problem with this phone being updated. Their was no point in putting something as worthless as bing on this google operated phone

And may I ask what is wrong with Bing? Answer that one  GPS 10? You can still use Google on phone

I for one could care less about Bing being on the phone. I just don't use it. I think the point being made here is that Google may be pi**ed off about it, after all all, Android phones are supposed to be Google phones. Maybe that is what is holding up the update(?) Hard to believe that is the reason, at least I hope it's not the reason. I hope the reason is they are trying to release a stable update, not a bug ridden one.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

maryl wrote:

sandystorm wrote:

gsp10 wrote:
Seriously Why did Verizon have to put bing on this phone I bet that is the only problem with this phone being updated. Their was no point in putting something as worthless as bing on this google operated phone

I for one could care less about Bing being on the phone. I just don't use it. I think the point being made here is that Google may be pi**ed off about it, after all all, Android phones are supposed to be Google phones. Maybe that is what is holding up the update(?) Hard to believe that is the reason, at least I hope it's not the reason. I hope the reason is they are trying to release a stable update, not a bug ridden one.

Ironically then one could say the IE problem on computers back in the day when people complained about it can be applied to Android devices.  Android is supposed to be open source and that's one of the problems with being open source.  Fragmentation at an accelerated level.

Not all Android phones are supposed to be Google phones.  IF Google wanted them to be all Google phones they could have licensed them different, but allow the source code.  They chose to go "Apache Software License" which is part open and part closed.  Welcome to Marketing which is slowly backfiring.  Give it a few and then everyone will slowly migrate to Meego(a lot of developers already switched that used to work on Android).

That's what they are probably doing.  The one major bug people are having and affects ALL samsung CDMA devices is that it looks for GSM signal and that eats battery.  It still plagues the Epic 4G, and Verizon may be delaying to increase battery life and to get rid of it.  Who's to say...  Rather have them do it right the first time around...

0 Likes
gsp10
I dont care if bing is on the phone its just the only thing that separates the mesmerize and the fascinate from each other so that might be the reason why we dont have froyo
0 Likes
someyoungguy
why would there be a problem with bing being on the phone for 2.2 its been on the phone from the start, so its not like verizon trying to do something that hasnt already been done, so who knows.....
0 Likes