Froyo 2.2
southernarcher

Hello everyone,

I'm new here so please bare with me for a little while. I've had the fascinate since Sept, and I'm already learning that between Verizon and Samsung things move at a crawl when it comes to major updates. I'm talking like a herd of turtles. :smileymad:

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Froyo 2.2
vanessas_vzw
Verizon Employee

Hi. 

We apologize for the delay.  Verizon Wireless began pushing Android 2.2, Froyo, to the Samsung Fascinate on April 21, 2011.  Enhancements include support for Adobe Flash Player.  You can visit www.verizonwireless.com/fascinatesupport for more information and download instructions for the software update.  Customers are able to download the update manually by going to Settings > About Phone > Update Phone.

Thank you,

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Dad-Bill
Contributor - Level 1

lol, you are right about that!

0 Likes
DonM
Contributor - Level 2

The entire discussion at this forum has deteriorated to the point of almost being irrelevant. It has split into multiple threads, there is obvious animosity between certain posters and throughout it all we basically only know what we knew a few months ago...we don't have Froyo, at least officially, and almost everyone else in the Android world does.

I try not to post in the Froyo threads anymore, although I will occasionally. The frustration level in those threads is pretty high and it is hard to make a point that isn't immediately attacked in some manner. What Froyo news I do get now is generally found in http://www.xda-developers.com/ or http://www.fascinateforums.com/, the atmosphere is a little calmer at both sites.

The best I can tell you is...if Froyo doesn't show up within the next month or so I wouldn't expect it at all for the Fascinate. At that point I would suggest seeking alternatives. [edited for TOS violation]  or find a phone from a manufacturer who is capable of managing timely updates. I am going to do the former for my Fascinate at the moment and I WILL be doing the latter for my next phone...I will never buy another Samsung phone.

One of the unspoken issues here is often patches fix security holes in OSes. It doesn't look like that will happen for Fascinate owners who choose to only install official software upgrades. Viruses are not really a problem with Android right now. Rootkits and malware are slowly but surely becoming a problem. Rootkits, with their ability to allow someone complete access to a phone, are an especially menacing threat with the ability to make payments with a cellphone seeming to be the next "big" thing. Access to someone's payment mechanism would be a huge threat to a person's financial stability. Perhaps the manufacturers who don't view upgrading phone OSes as important will change their views then...or perhaps not.

0 Likes
DonM
Contributor - Level 2

My first TOS, got the private email and everything...

*sniff*

Sensei would be so proud...

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Everyone just needs to relax.  I heard it all, and boths sides should be able to agree.

1.  Everyone complains how long it takes.  Every device took MONTHS to get updates regardless of how you look at it.  Everyone points at their specific device well because they own it.  When some manufacturer comes out with an update people don't bother looking how long some of these devices has been out in the market.  It isn't carrier specific either.

NO Android device currently out is up to date PERIOD.  2.3, 2.3.2 is out and 2.2.3 is out.  What Android devices with 2.2 have 2.2.3 update?  None...  The highest out right now is the Nexus One and Nexus S and they are sitting on those respectively and OH they are Google developer devices.  Everything else is at 2.2.1 or lower.

2.  People keep stating they believe they'll never get X update if it doesn't come "soon".  So far no matter what device out there if there was a promise for an update it has happened just not in the timeframe a lot of over zealious people want it to come. Honestly if you think it could be done sooner do it yourself.  The source code is readily available.  A side note a lot of devs of roms USE leaked code to bring you the update and low a behold a lot of them have the same quirks as the leaks.  So they can't fix those problems in a timely manner either.  Cyanogen still hasn't did a full release of their 2.3 update and it's been how long?

So take a chill pill and relax.  It'll come when it's ready.  There would be more complaints if things weren't working right, and it bricked phones.  They'd rather take the minority of complaints of it taking too long than to have to repair and get more people angry.  Evo 4G rings a bell, and if you noticed HTC slowed down themselves on release of updates(MyTouch Slide comes to mind).

0 Likes
yoohoohyon

is it only Samsung's fault?

It seems like other nations all got their froyo update long time ago.

Blame the dumb lazy carriers in the US. Personally, all the smartphones out there should be called dumb phones due to thier frequent breakdown and errors which **bleep** off ppl.

Blame Samsung as well for not coming up w a way to provide an update no matter what kind of hardships they have to go thru to get the job done. 

0 Likes
DonM
Contributor - Level 2

Part of the problem may be the miniscule tidbits of information we are getting from both Verizon and Samsung. It is almost like it hurts them to keep their customers updated on the updates (heh). Silence creates a void that people will fill with speculation, and eventually frustration.

We are reduced to scouring messageboard for any "I spoke to a Verizon rep today and he said..." or hoping Samsung John tweets something substantial today.

If they would simply release regular information about how the updates are progressing I think they would be surprised how understanding people would be if they have run into problems configuring Froyo to work on the Fascinate...or even admit there will be no update, let people get angry then move on, at least get any fallout behind them as fast as possible.

0 Likes
Smokie11
Contributor - Level 1

DonM wrote:

Part of the problem may be the miniscule tidbits of information we are getting from both Verizon and Samsung. It is almost like it hurts them to keep their customers updated on the updates (heh). Silence creates a void that people will fill with speculation, and eventually frustration.

We are reduced to scouring messageboard for any "I spoke to a Verizon rep today and he said..." or hoping Samsung John tweets something substantial today.

If they would simply release regular information about how the updates are progressing I think they would be surprised how understanding people would be if they have run into problems configuring Froyo to work on the Fascinate...or even admit there will be no update, let people get angry then move on, at least get any fallout behind them as fast as possible.

A voice of reason comes from the wilderness. Kudos. Well said!  It is the utter and complete contempt that both Verizon and Samsung have for their customers concerns that bothers me. To just simply release an official corporate response, I don't really care what the response is, just simply say: "These are the facts".

The Fascinate will not be my last phone, Verizon will not be my last carrier, Samsung no longer exists in "my world". In my little tiny insignificant world in which I rule. I reward good service and products with my hard earned money. I also turn my back on those companies that are so big, they don't need me or my money. Thank God for choice, what a gift.:smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

DonM wrote:

Tell me one carrier or manufacturer that does then I will agree with you, but I won't be hard pressed if you didn't find any...  As I said before...  I can show examples of every manufacturer from Apple to Google that isn't transparent as people like them to be.

0 Likes
DonM
Contributor - Level 2

Tidbits wrote:

Tell me one carrier or manufacturer that does then I will agree with you, but I won't be hard pressed if you didn't find any...  As I said before...  I can show examples of every manufacturer from Apple to Google that isn't transparent as people like them to be.

I can't argue with that. I spent most of my work career working for a privately owned company. About 10 years ago we were bought out by a fairly large corporation. I admit it has been an eye opening experience watching some of the decisions being made. It took a while for me to learn that sometimes the best decision from a corporation's viewpoint can be amazingly counter-intuitive from an individual's point of view.

0 Likes