Froyo for Fascinate coming Nov 11th
yellowboy74
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
Re: Froyo for Fascinate coming Nov 11th
lthibeault

i sure hope so.

it would be nice for someone from VZW to let us know whats going on with it...

are they working on the release? or just sitting on it?

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

I wouldn't hold my breath as there haven't been any leaks or significant mention of verizon testing anywhere.  I'd still guess it'll be late november, early december before we see anything.

0 Likes
Suburban78
Contributor - Level 1
I was told by a Version rep in store today their is nothing happening with a update anytime soon and this after he spent 20+ minuets searching his resources and placing a 10 minuet phone call to tech support. I'm getting sick off waiting but what can you do...
0 Likes
Eric_T

There's already a hack for Android 2.1 that could very well take out Verizon's Wireless network, so I'm hoping they will get the ball rolling now:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9195058/Researcher_releases_Web_based_Android_attack

0 Likes
Leslie1
Contributor - Level 1

Information on froyo for samsung fascinate is not available at this time.

0 Likes
roc256
I have several close friends that work for VZ, one of which is a manager at a store. I have also regularly (obsessively may be a better definitive choice) checked various tech sites in an attempt to unearth any details on when the v2.2 update will be available.

All have resounded that the update will definitely be made available soon... my understanding is that it will be rolled out sometime in November. The Fascinate is apparently already locked in to recieve FroYo along with the Motorola Droid 2 and Droid X, and HTC Droid Incredible, which have already started the upgrade process.

Unfortunately, that statement is where the similarities end.

A few sites have leaked that a beta version of FroYo is already out there somewhere, yet it's still a bit buggy. Not sure how that affects security issues, but reports have shown that browsing capabilities are hindered from its lack of complete development.

Browsing and app support are the least of my worries regarding the update... What I am personally concerned with is the security facet. I understand that there is now a program that can target v2.1 or earlier Android devices and read the phones external SD memory... and apparently this bug was developed pretty quickly. If it could be written to intrude into a user's device that quickly, then there's no telling how soon a bug could surface that could completely crash the entire OS.

Being a fairly new Verizon customer, I am still hesitant to throw the word "negligent" out there regarding this situation... However, the more inconsistencies about the release of this update that come to my attention are beginning to belay my giving VZ and Google the benefit of the doubt.

I remain patient, as well as cautious. I do not intend to bash either VZ or Google for not having the firmware ready yet, nor do I intend to continually prod for information. I'm a good little boy that can sit quietly and wait for his plate to be served, complete and ready for the taking. My one question is this: Lookout Security, which has been featured for Droid devices, seems to be a fairly solid line of defense against malicious programs. Will Lookout be able to detect the presence of this intrusive program, or better yet, snuff it out altogether? Or are we Fascinate users just sitting ducks for privacy invasion until FroYo is made available to us?
0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

meh, there's nothing really to worry about imho. From reading the link, it's more of a browser vulnerability and I'm not really sure why anyone would use their browser to access anything on the sd card. 

0 Likes
WiL2Fascinate
Enthusiast - Level 3
I actually talked to a spokesman from Verizon and was informed that Froyo for the Fascinate will be pushed through and updated in real time by or before this next Saturday.
0 Likes
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

Currently there is no information on the release date for a Samsung Fascinate Operating System Update.  We thank you for your patience and being a Verizon Wireless Customer.  We assure you  the security of your device  is very important to us and any enhancement or update is developed with security concerns  in mind.  

0 Likes