Re: Froyo for Fascinate coming Nov 11th
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1
Real time? Do you know what that implies? They ate not going to code the os real time, if anything, we would grey lucky enough to get an ota update.
0 Likes
Suburban78
Contributor - Level 1
Its all crap! Like the last verizon rep said, no one knows when its going to release. It will happen when it happens. I want it as much as the next guy but it won't come any sooner no matter much speculating as to the date of release happens here.
0 Likes
ARossetter
Contributor - Level 1

I believe I can clarify this one..

The Froyo update in the OP's link is for the international version of the Galaxy S. The rollout for Froyo for these phones is occuring on a global scale, with the US carriers (supposedly) enacting their upgrades by the end of the month. As the two Verizon employees who don't like to elaborate on their information said, they have no information on a Froyo upgrade at this time, because that upgrade is tested by Verizon before it is pushed to handset owners. Typically the hacking community would have received a leaked ROM or something to that effect if the release were imminent (and we haven't, though we've seen Epic and Vibrant leaks already).

Short version: Just gotta be patient for now. Samsung says US carriers get their updates by the end of November. If that means it's released by Verizon as soon as it is available (I doubt we'd have to use Kies to update), then month's end would be the earliest to expect your update.  #rawspeculation

EDIT: I just read that forum post.. I've seen similar ones at AndroidCentral and XDA, so I figured I'd save myself the misery of actually LOOKING at it. That post should be taken with a grain of salt, since they mention the US carriers and in the same breath show a screenshot of one of the international phones. 

0 Likes
KeineLust

Annnnnd its the 11th. No Froyo 2.2 yet... sigh...

0 Likes
ARossetter
Contributor - Level 1

I refer you back to my post two above this one. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
WiL2Fascinate
Enthusiast - Level 3
You know what? I am actually starting to think that we will not see Froyo. They boast they have the best phone and best network but the service from both Samsung and Verizon are absolutely useless. First Verizon loads our phone with bloatware And makes Bing proprietary (What jag offs). Now everybody in this god damned world is giving us the f%@#ing run around. That's all these companies are good for. They makes all these promises out of there **bleep**, and don't make good on them until people start leaving because they are tired of the lies. How the hell are you gonna release a hot series of phone with old software, especially when all these other **bleep** phones have the newest. Then once you find out Samsung is full of crap on there updates you can't return the phone because it is past the 30 day mark. Verizon and Samsung both need to pull their heads out of each others **bleep** and start keeping customers happy. How the hell are you gonna delay Froyo and then lock the phone so we can't install Flash or get rid of Bing. I am about done worn both of these companies on going lies and deceptive practices. And to you reps you wouldn't tell anybody anything even you did know, quit trying to act privileged. You find stuff out after the fact. I'm done.
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

WiL2Fascinate wrote:
You know what? I am actually starting to think that we will not see Froyo. They boast they have the best phone and best network but the service from both Samsung and Verizon are absolutely useless. First Verizon loads our phone with bloatware And makes Bing proprietary (What jag offs). Now everybody in this god damned world is giving us the f%@#ing run around. That's all these companies are good for. They makes all these promises out of there **bleep**, and don't make good on them until people start leaving because they are tired of the lies. How the hell are you gonna release a hot series of phone with old software, especially when all these other **bleep** phones have the newest. Then once you find out Samsung is full of crap on there updates you can't return the phone because it is past the 30 day mark. Verizon and Samsung both need to pull their heads out of each others **bleep** and start keeping customers happy. How the hell are you gonna delay Froyo and then lock the phone so we can't install Flash or get rid of Bing. I am about done worn both of these companies on going lies and deceptive practices. And to you reps you wouldn't tell anybody anything even you did know, quit trying to act privileged. You find stuff out after the fact. I'm done.

Then why did you buy it.  Regardless of what they say you could have returned the device.  If 2.2 was that important to me I would have waited until that device got 2.2 then buy or buy a device that had 2.2 already installed.  You knew it had bing and bloatware yet you stay with the company and continue to buy from them.

Like I told people on various forums...  Stop complaining and start doing something else with your money.  Money talks and complaining hasn't done what you want to happen.  So complaining IS NOT working.

It's already proven that you can get rid of bing and use something else.  Flash was supposed to work on 2.0 and up, but thanks to Adobe made it 2.2.  Can't really blame the miscommunication as for a long time Adobe kept telling people one thing and shortly before release said 2.2+ only.

I can go on and pick everything apart, but offically there has never been a date and all the dates are based off rumors.  So they have NEVER lied.  The only time they would lie is WHEN they say we will not bring 2.2 to the Fascinate.

There are a lot of devices released with old software which you called it.  Sure some devices got updated, but they were still released with old software.  Evo, Incredible, Droid X, and a few other devices out there.  They were developed before the 2.2 was released and was finally completed after the OS was released.  No company will just start over in software development when they are nearly finished.

0 Likes
WiL2Fascinate
Enthusiast - Level 3
You are just another pawn. And the reason I got this phone because I was told that the update would be released promptly not two to three months later. I also was gonna purchase the Droid 2, but they were on back order. Your not picking anything apart. You cannot get rid of Bing, you can side step it. Quit making excuses.
0 Likes
WiL2Fascinate
Enthusiast - Level 3
And for those who are still wondering according to Samsungs Twitter page, it will be released by the end of the year. In laments terms must likely by march of next year if not later. http://mobile.twitter.com/SamsungMobileUS
0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

It's never smart to buy a phone based on the premise that someone told you it will receive.  Heck if they wanted to, they could, though unlikely, just not release the Froyo update all together as I don't believe Verizon has made an official announcement that the Fascinate would receive Froyo.  Samsung is notoriously slow on OS updates and Verizon just adds to that.

It's never smart to buy a phone based on the premise that someone told you it will receive.  Heck if they wanted to, they could, though unlikely, just not release the Froyo update all together as I don't believe Verizon has made an official announcement that the Fascinate would receive Froyo.  Samsung is notoriously slow on OS updates and Verizon just adds to that.

And you CAN entirely remove bing from the phone.  Most of the process probably shouldn't be performed by an average user but it can be done.

0 Likes